Lowe's is the place... for company idiocy

This is a discussion on Lowe's is the place... for company idiocy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The wife and decided to forego the Glock 19 and spend the money on a good generator for the next hurricane season. After 2 weeks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowe's is the place... for company idiocy

VIP Member

Angry Lowe's is the place... for company idiocy

The wife and decided to forego the Glock 19 and spend the money on a good generator for the next hurricane season. After 2 weeks of deep research we settled on a Briggs and Stratton 5,000 + whatever (continuous) that is being sold at Lowe’s for $499. So, about an hour ago I get my Emergency Only Account checkbook (No credit or debit cards attached to this account) and went to my local Lowe’s to do the purchase. After dragging the damn thing off the shelf and having a helping gentleman give me a hand to load the sucker, I go to the register for the obligatory 20-minute-wait-and-why-there-are-only-2-registers-open-with-30-people-waiting routine I finally get to pay. I write my check, produce forms of identification and turn it all to the cashier. The check is rejected.

Now, I know there are more than enough funds in the account so I ask this big tall fella with the tag of Head Cashier on his chest why is my check no good and the answer is because the check number is 199.

I blink real hard as I am trying to digest this information. Do they have a policy against the number 199? Should I call the ACLU and denounce Lowe’s for prejudice against the poor 199? So I ask for clarification and Head Cashier informs me that it is the policy of Lowe’s not to accept any check numbered under 300. To say that I was dumbfounded would be an understatement. I said, “Wait a minute here. I know there are more than enough funds there. Hell, I know that there is at least 6 times that amount in the account! And you reject a check because the number is too low?” Again Head Cashier informs me that it is the policy of Lowe’s not to accept any check numbered under 300. I retort about the stupidity of a policy that makes a decorative part of a check more important that the actual funds that it can dispense and become part of Lowe’s net profits for the day. Again Head Cashier informs me that it is the policy of Lowe’s not to accept any check numbered under 300. Now I am pissed and ask him if I could go home and get one of the checkbooks with the high numeral, would he take it? Finally I got him stuttering something other that the frigging Lowe’s policy on checks and tells me that I could use another form of payment to do the transaction. I refuse and tell him (Loudly) that not only Lowe’s lost the sale but a client because I refuse to shop in a place where stupidity runs so rampant it even overrides the search for profit.

I shall not be returning to Lowe’s
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Miggy, I ran into something like this a number of years ago when I lived in New Orleans. I don't remember the store, but they had the same rule no checks with numbers less than 300. I also solved it the same way - I left. When I moved back to Alabama and got my new bank account I ordered the checks to start at 501. I wonder what they would think of that. I have since changed banks and I did the same thing. The first check written out of both accounts was number 501.

The thing that really amazes me is that Lowes and other businesses think that by only taking checks with numbers over 300 they are going to protect themselves. Just because they are too stupid to figure a way around it they believe no one else can either. And we wonder why our country is in the shape it is.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    That has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard!

One of my checking accounts has a large amount in it, and only has maybe 20 checks a year written against it....... It's "only" about 10 years old, but I guess I'd better leave that checkbook home!

Did you thank them and let them know you're taking your business elsewhere? or are you stuck with them?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I generaly buy a 20 ft trailer load at a time from the home warehouses ( hey its a 170 mile drive to one one way ) and tho i have not had this issue with lowes i basicly quit them due to poor service Home Depot does better on service , and besides just yell " Vanga aqui " and you will have a passel of nice folks to help you load your purchaces in the trailer

Assistant Administrator
    I too am dumfounded - that is a policy of the most absurd nature I think I have come across

I have to think I might have gone into mock nervous breakdown mode and taken a tour of the store, announcing the stipidity and letting folks know that Lowes did not want my money!

This merits a stiff letter to a big white chief somewhere. Lose enough sales due to this and it will hit them where it matters. I am still in disbelief at such a crazy policy!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle

Did you thank them and let them know you're taking your business elsewhere? or are you stuck with them?
    Oh hell yeah. There is a Home Depot about a half a mile down the road and I tole Head Cashier I was heading down that way.

My wife pointed out that in this age of debit and credit cards, any moron should realize people will have checks with low counts. It is not like when we were younger and had to write checks at the 7-11 for $1.35 for the quart of milk and the beef jerky and we ran through checkbooks like toilet paper after a day in Taco Bell.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I will tell you I just built a new house, my wife designed it and I built it. Took us two years and about 300,000. I spent about 150,000. at The Home Depot. We went to Lowes and were purchasing a Dishwasher, Fridge, Garage door and numerous other items. We were using our equity line acct that was good for 300,000. and the exact same thing happened. They wouldn't accept the check because of the low number on it. Well needless to say I went to Home Depot and told them about it and they not only matched Lowes prices but gave me contractor status with 10% off on that purchase plus any future purchases because I was an owner builder. Needless to say I have not been back to Lowes.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Thumbs down

Lowe's the Wally World of hardware stores.

They put smaller ones out of bussiness with lower prices on items that move fast but don't carry as much of the specialty stuff that smaller ones do.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Lowes stinks anyway. They sponser Jimmy Johnson and that cheating crew chief of his Chad Knaus. Oh, my mistake, this isn't the Nascar board I belong to.

Seriously that is stupid policy. Your money is good no matter if it is check #1 or 9999. I don't shop at Lowes anyway and I'll spread the word to my buddies about this.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I agree with all of the frustration everyone has on this, but low checks numbers are only a statistical test applied to checks - it is merely a short test applied to the check, just as would be whether it: is an out of town check, out of state, your ID address doesn't match the check address, your signature doesn't match the ID sig, etc.

It is the businesses simple-minded tool to minimize their bad check losses - low number checks result in bad check losses more frequently than larger check numbers. Stupid - no. Simplistic - yes. Poorly applied in this case - yes.

The easiest way to game the system is just have your checks start at 1001 or so - easily done.

Sorry - it is frustrating, and is really annoying to "pay the price" for the illegal behavior of others that write bad checks, but its just a part of a silly game we play called "Keep Your Blood Pressure Down" and smile....

That is a stupid policy because anyone knows you can start checks at any number you want basicly and therefore a brand new checking account could start at check 1000. So the policy wouldn't make sense not that it even does make sense.

Loosers!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I had the same issue way back in 84 with a big electronics firm. I went to buy a new PC (back then they were 2500) and my check was declined because of a low number. Same situation, I walked out and bought it somewhere else never to return.

I can say with some smug satisfaction that the afformentioned store is no longer in business :)

1952 - 2006
    I have also run into this problem with other stores.

When I open a new checking account I have always had them start the checks at 1001.

Their opinion is that with new checking accounts people are more likely to close the account or to over draw on funds in the account.

It's the same mentality that says if you own a gun you are more likely to become evil merely because of the presence of the gun.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

VIP Member
    Isn't the number on the check just a way for you identify individual purchases for your own records? I would have asked for the check back from the clerk, written a 9 in front of the 199, handed it back and said "There...now it's check #9199"
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

That policy is common around here and has been for years. My wife and I have a lot of accounts and started some of them with some odd check number, like 2950 or whatever stupid number we could think of to match the dumb policy.
    TeamAmerica -- LOL.... great post. I should have done that years ago when places refused our line of credit checks, just write some numbers in front -
    Funny how these retail giants turn down a check numbered 100, yet I've bought several cars with checks that were something like 003 or 005.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links