How to get a job at a gun store?

This is a discussion on How to get a job at a gun store? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am moving to College Station,Tx in late May. I have a lawn service I will continue to run until August and then my younger ...

Thread: How to get a job at a gun store?

How to get a job at a gun store?

I am moving to College Station,Tx in late May. I have a lawn service I will continue to run until August and then my younger brother will be taking it over. I'll need a job and would love to find a job in a gun store or gun range. But I run into alot of guys that work at gunstore that will tell you that any gun you ask about is great ect, ect, ect and aren't really all that knowledgeable about any of them. Not to mention when they handle any firearm, bystanders and I get swept. And most of these guys are older. I've only met one man that gives his honest opinion and I can have real conversations with. He's an old Marine. I'm 20 and I'd bet any gunstore owner wouldn't consider hiring me, unless they sat down and talked to me.

How should I go about trying to get a job at a local gun store or range. My only real plan is to start going into the store and talking to the owner. Get on a first name basis and maybe start buying ammo and other supplies there. Let him know I'm knowledgeable and handle firearms to show him I'm safe. Any other ideas?

2. Remove Ads

Going in and talking to them is the way to go. Get in front of them, let them know what you know and that being 20 and hungry you will be visiting often until they supply you with a job!

What I am saying is, be confident, knowledgeable, but not a know it all either, let them know even though you have good knowledge there is much still to learn and you are looking for a mentor of such to continue to learn and grow with and you will do the best job possible for them as well as be a good salesman too.

If they are looking to pick someone up this is a good way to do it, if they are not looking convince them they should be because you are the man for the job. The trick here is that when you get the job, you preform the job as you said you would! if not better than you said you would. Make your mark and go for it.

Good luck............

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    But I run into alot of guys that work at gunstore that will tell you that any gun you ask about is great ect, ect, ect and aren't really all that knowledgeable about any of them. Not to mention when they handle any firearm, bystanders and I get swept.
    Yep, seems like all the shops are run by Gun Shop Commando's, seems like the owners would want someone who is knowledgeable, and safe to work for them.
    You shouls atart by being friendly with them, and after a while, just ask about a possible position.

I've been running my own business from age 14. From that I have gained a good work ethic and my social skills with adults in particular are much better that they would have been otherwise.

Plus being able to help someone pick out a gun that actually fits their needs and experience level would be great and a change from what normally happens.

Links