what is a sheep??

This is a discussion on what is a sheep?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; my roommate would like to know! i figured i would let yall explain it to him!! have fun!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is a sheep??

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar

Question what is a sheep??

my roommate would like to know! i figured i would let yall explain it to him!! have fun!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Im First, Im First.....

Domestic sheep (Ovis aries) are quadrupedal, ruminant mammals typically kept as livestock. Like all ruminants, sheep are members of the order Artiodactyla, the even-toed ungulates. Although the name "sheep" applies to many species, in everyday usage it almost always refers to Ovis aries. Numbering a little over 1 billion, domestic sheep are the most numerous species in their genus.

Domestic sheep are relatively small ruminants, usually with a crimped hair called wool and often with horns forming a lateral spiral. Domestic sheep differ from their wild relatives and ancestors in several respects, having become uniquely neotenic as a result of man's influence.[1][2] A few primitive breeds of sheep retain some of the characteristics of their wild cousins, such as short tails. Depending on breed, domestic sheep may have no horns at all (polled), or horns in both sexes (as in wild sheep), or in males only. Most horned breeds have a single pair, but a few breeds may have several.[3]

Ok, DC Definition now..

Sheeple is a term of disparagement, in which people are likened to sheep. The term is believed to be inspired by the 1945 George Orwell novel Animal Farm, where the sheep of the farm blindly followed and defended the farm's pig leadership.

It is often used to denote persons who voluntarily acquiesce to a perceived authority, or suggestion without sufficient research to understand fully the scope of the ramifications involved in that decision, and thus undermine their own human individuality or in other cases give up certain rights. The implication of sheeple is that as a collective, people believe whatever they are told, especially if told so by a perceived authority figure believed to be trustworthy, without processing it or doing adequate research to be sure that it is an accurate representation of the real world around them. The term is generally used in a political and sometimes in a spiritual sense.

The label seems to have originated in the United States and refers to people who tend to accept and follow everything at face value, especially if it is cited in mainstream media. Shortwave radio host Milton William Cooper used it commonly during his Hour of the Time radio show during the late 80s and early 90s. There is documented print usage of this word as early as 1950, in the form, "We, the Sheeple", in the Emory University Quarterly, v.6-7 1950-1951, page 64. [1]. "The Wall Street Journal first reported the label in print in 1984; the reporter heard the word used by the proprietor of an American Opinion bookstore affiliated with the John Birch Society. [2] In this usage, taxpayers were derided for their blind conformity as opposed to those who thought independently. [3]

The term is also used more broadly to describe any person a speaker feels is exceedingly conformist.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

RMS
    What "mi2az" said! Great defintion.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Well said.
    For God, Family and Country!

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Ibtl!!!!

pelosi health care

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    very nice!!!!!!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

VIP Member

what is a sheep??

Quote Originally Posted by bigo5552000 View Post
    my roommate would like to know! i figured i would let yall explain it to him!! have fun!
    Tell him if he doesn't know, more than likely, he is one...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

After the defination given by mi2az any additional information would be wasted. Very good!
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Tell him if he doesn't know, more than likely, he is one...
    +1 on that..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Not picking on any particular member here, I would like to delineate that just because one does not carry, they are not necessarily a 'sheep'.

I know more than one war hero that have their own reasons for not carrying. I assure you that they are not sheep.

On the flip-side, there are few things that scare me more than a sheep that does carry - i.e. having a gun doesn't necessarily make you a sheep dog.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Not picking on any particular member here, I would like to delineate that just because one does not carry, they are not necessarily a 'sheep'.

I know more than one war hero that have their own reasons for not carrying. I assure you that they are not sheep.

On the flip-side, there are few things that scare me more than a sheep that does carry!
    Excellent point! Not having a gun doesn't necessarily make someone a potential victim.... I agree..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

You are the weapon, a gun is just a tool -- and one of a number of options.

Re: the defining factor of a sheep: the mind is the most important tool you can use -- don't leave home w/o it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    sheep herders: cnn, msnbc, cbs, abc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links