Lou Dobbs Announces He Is Quitting CNN

This is a discussion on Lou Dobbs Announces He Is Quitting CNN within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; His was the only show I could stand to watch on CNN. Best of luck to him in whatever he decides to do. Seated at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lou Dobbs Announces He Is Quitting CNN

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Lou Dobbs Announces He Is Quitting CNN

His was the only show I could stand to watch on CNN. Best of luck to him in whatever he decides to do.

Seated at an anchor desk in front of a screen with a fluttering American flag, Dobbs mentioned his interest in issues such as health care, jobs, immigration, climate change and the wars.

"Unfortunately, these issues are now defined in the public arena by partisanship and ideology rather than rigorous empirical thought and forthright analysis and discussion," he said. "I will be working diligently to change that as best I can."

Lou Dobbs Says He's Leaving CNN Immediately
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:40 PM

Lou Dobbs Says He's Leaving CNN Immediately

CNN's Lou Dobbs, a lightning rod for criticism following his transition from a business journalist to an opinionated anchor on such issues as illegal immigration, told viewers on Wednesday that he was quitting his nightly show to pursue new opportunities.

"This will be my last broadcast," Dobbs said after giving the day's headlines. Dobbs, who hosts a daily radio show unrelated to CNN, said the network had allowed him to be released early from his contract.

Dobbs was a CNN original, signing on when the cable network started in 1980. For much of that time, he hosted a nightly business broadcast that became one of the most influential shows in the corporate world, and CNN's most profitable show for advertising revenue.

But Dobbs said his world view changed after the 2001 terrorist attacks and corporate corruption scandals, and he began to more freely express his opinions. He was particularly persistent in bringing the immigration issue to the fore, winning him both higher ratings and enemies. Latino groups had an active petition drive seeking his removal.

His presence became awkward for CNN, particularly as it began emphasizing reporting and non-opinion shows. He angered management this summer by pressing questions about President Barack Obama's birth site after CNN reporters determined there was no issue.

Dobbs said the decision came after many months of discussion with CNN U.S. President Jon Klein. Dobbs said he wanted to concentrate on his role as a commentator and on advocacy journalism.

Klein hailed Dobbs' "appetite for big ideas, the megawatt smile and larger than life presence he brought to our newsroom."

"With characteristic forthrightness, Lou has now decided to carry the banner of advocacy journalism elsewhere," Klein said. "We respect his decision."

Dobbs said he was proud of his role in helping to build the first cable news network. He said some leaders in media, politics and business "have been urging me to go beyond my role here at CNN and to engage in constructive problem-solving."

Seated at an anchor desk in front of a screen with a fluttering American flag, Dobbs mentioned his interest in issues such as health care, jobs, immigration, climate change and the wars.

"Unfortunately, these issues are now defined in the public arena by partisanship and ideology rather than rigorous empirical thought and forthright analysis and discussion," he said. "I will be working diligently to change that as best I can."

His resignation was hailed by activists who were seeking his ouster.
    "Our contention all along was that Lou Dobbs — who has a long history of spreading lies and conspiracy theories about immigrants and Latinos — does not belong on the most trusted name in news," said Roberto Lovato, co-founder of Presente.org. "We are thrilled that Dobbs no longer has the legitimate platform from which to incite fear and hate."

Tom Saenz, president of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, the leading Latino legal organization, said, "I think the Latino community can and should celebrate that Lou Dobbs is no longer on CNN."

Dobbs did not immediately return telephone and e-mail messages to talk about his critics.

Although he joined CNN in 1980, Dobbs left the network for two year in 1999, after angrily complaining on the air about a decision by then-CNN President Rick Kaplan to switch away from his show to a live news event. An Internet venture failed and when Kaplan left CNN, Dobbs returned.

A decision on who will replace Dobbs is expected to be announced on Thursday
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Hope he can pick it up somewhere else...We need his voice...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

And with that, CNN now moves entirely to the left...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

You do know someone shot at them and hit the house within 15 ft of his wife recently... right ? I heard him say after that, it gave him cause to rethink things when his family was endangered..... for 'just speaking my opinon'.

I'm not surprised he left, but I think it is the wrong thing for all of the wrong reasons.... so, who else will they shoot at now because they disagree with their views on immigration (that about 80% of Americans agree with).

I hope they don't think they can initimidate everyone to give up their 1st Amendment rights, and that Lou Dobbs continues in some manner to express his.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    He's proably tired of being gagged by CNN upper ups, as well as some other things.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Sounds like he got canned.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

After the no-compete clause in his contract is up...

We'll probably see him at Fox News.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

I'd bet on that...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

He is (was ) my favorite news anchor. He's the only one I regularly watch. I was stunned last night when he started talking about quitting. I had to replay it to believe it.

He has been a VERY strong supporter of 2A rights. I think this is a great loss for the 2A community in general.

If we're lucky, maybe he'll run (and be elected) to public office. I'd love to see him as a Senator, or heck, even President............

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Administrator
    He stepped on too many toes that all happened to be located on Left feet.
    I'm best guessing that his career is far from over though.

Administrator
    I hope he does pop back up somewhere. I liked him even way back when.
    "Just blame Sixto"

+1 on the Fox News stint; I think before the year is out he will have a prime time show on that network, mark my words....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

He would make a perfect replacement for that cutesy Shep Smith!

Then I wouldn't have to change channels at 7PM

Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I bet starting 2 weeks from Monday you'll see him on Fox News. With Lou leaving I along with others above will never watch CNN again.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links