Desk Jockeyed

Desk Jockeyed

This is a discussion on Desk Jockeyed within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A lesson that should be taught in all schools . . And colleges Back in September, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a ...

Thread: Desk Jockeyed

Desk Jockeyed

A lesson that should be taught in all schools . . And colleges

Back in September, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a social studies school teacher at Robinson High School , did something not to be forgotten. On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks out of her classroom.

When the first period kids entered the room they discovered that there were no desks.

'Ms.. Cothren, where're our desks?'

She replied, 'You can't have a desk until you tell me how you earn the right to sit at a desk.'

They thought, 'Well, maybe it's our grades.'

'No,' she said.

'Maybe it's our behavior.'

She told them, 'No, it's not even your behavior.'

And so, they came and went, the first period, second period, third period. Still no desks in the classroom.

By early afternoon television news crews had started gathering in Ms.Cothren's classroom to report about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came and as the puzzled students found seats on the floor of the deskless classroom, Martha Cothren said, 'Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me just what he/she has done to earn the right to sit at the desks that are ordinarily found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you.'

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it.

Twenty-seven (27) War Veterans, all in uniforms, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk. The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand alongside the wall... By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in place those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks had been earned..

Martha said, 'You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks. These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. Now, it's up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price so that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget it.'

By the way, this is a true story.

Please consider passing this along so others won't forget that the freedoms we have in this great country were earned by War Veterans.

snopes.com: Veterans Return Desks

VIP Member
    Cool story....kids aren't taught (in school) today what our soldiers went through to protect our freedoms...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

That is just way cool. Good for that teacher and her methodology.

I am a bit surprised the Liberal News Networks didn't rake her over hot coals for her audacity to say that kids didn't deserve desks. They want us to be so politically correct these days, it's tough.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    That's good stuff! Thank you for sharing that one.

this is a great story! thank you for sharing!
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Amen, a lesson well learned......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I like this place! I posted this story on another gun forum and I am not getting the positive responsive like here.

how could she subject to poor babies to that, next I bet they had to recite the pledge of allegiance.
    seriously cool story, thanks.

That's awesome! I know that totally would've hit home with me when I was in school. Congrats to the teacher for having the courage to stand up for what she believes in.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    This happened back in 2005 if I recall correctly. Seems to make the rounds every so often, but doesn't hurt to re-read it.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

It's hard for me to believe some of the responses that I got on the other gun forum.

Here are some of them:

*Yeah, nothing insures American Freedom like killing Iraqis. We had to kill two million Vietnamese to quell that country's threat to our freedom; by that standard, we're probably only 25% of the way towards insuring American Freedom in Iraq.

Xxxx, who hates these mindless flag-waving internet anecdotes with their pseudo profundities.
    ---------------------------------------------------

I responded "Better there then here." and got this reply:

*Because Iraq was somehow threatening my freedom? Oh, do tell your theory.

*I'm going out on a limb here and guessing this doesn't get very far.

----------------------------------------------------

*I don't know - I'm all for recognizing the triumphs and sacrifices of our military but I'd say that, in this case, it has more to do with the heroes who go to work everyday and earn the money to pay taxes who provided those desks.

When I was a kid, in Sunday School, the teachers brought a couple of dolls (one outfitted to represent a little boy and one a little girl) to class. Then, to demonstrate what it would be like in Hell, they sat fire to them and let the class watch them burn. Then they said words to the effect of, "Only you wouldn't ever burn up - it would go on for eternity." As a thinker, even at a young age, that inappropriate display began my questioning of and eventual, total disbelief in organized religion.

That was over the top. So were the actions of this teacher. There is a difference between 'teaching' and 'indoctrinating'. Teaching allows for independent though, indoctrination is just forcing one's own dogmatic opinions on others.

----------------------------------------------------

Yes, of course. We invaded Vietnam and killed two million of their citizens to "contain communism." And we invaded Iraq and have killed who-knows-how-many of their citizens to "halt the proliferation of nuclear weapons." Oh no, wait a minute, it was to "make the world safe for democracy." Yes, that's it. I am sure the families of the dead are very grateful for all America has done for them. We truly are a nation of heroes.

Xxxx

Sponsored Links