Speaking of Media Distortion -- Busted!

This is a discussion on Speaking of Media Distortion -- Busted! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just like we've been talking about in those other threads about the biased media . . . November 11, 2009, 1:30 pm Hannity to Address ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Media Distortion -- Busted!

Speaking of Media Distortion -- Busted!

Just like we've been talking about in those other threads about the biased media . . .

November 11, 2009, 1:30 pm
    Hannity to Address Protest Video Questions
    By BILL CARTER
    Click HERE for full story.

“The Daily Show,” which has become one of the media’s prime monitors when it comes to calling out misuse or manipulation of video, caught the Fox News Channel and one of its hosts, Sean Hannity, Tuesday night, in what appeared to be a blatant example of doctoring a report with inappropriate video to enhance an argument.

Jon Stewart, the host of “The Daily Show,” presented excerpts from a segment of Mr. Hannity’s show in which he discussed the so-called tea party protests in Congress last Thursday with Representative Michele Bachmann, a Republican from Minnesota who had urged supporters to turn up at the Capitol to protest the health care bill.

[ VIEW VIDEO HERE]

Beyond questioning the crowd estimates cited by Mr. Hannity, Mr. Stewart demonstrated that the Fox News program had included several scenes of the crowd, one of which he conclusively proved had not been shot the day of the health care protest but at the much larger tea party protest in Washington last summer.

Fox News would not comment on the use of the video Wednesday beyond having a spokeswoman say: “Sean will address this on his show tonight.”

Among the ways Mr. Stewart was able to show the events were separate was shots of trees that were still green with leaves and the obvious difference in the color of the sky. He also matched the exact video Mr. Hannity had used to video from the summer event.

Mr. Stewart did not point out that Fox News had put a one-word label “earlier” on the screen when both the older and the newer footage was shown; but footage that is from an earlier date is usually described by news outlets with either the actual previous date inscribed on screen or some other description like “file footage.”

Mr. Stewart did include a comment from Mr. Hannity saying that the crowd depicted in the earlier scene was especially large “for a Thursday,” reinforcing the point that he was talking about the protest last week and not the earlier protest, which took place on a Saturday.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

2. Remove Ads

Wow. Good catch by Stewart and his crew. I like Hannity, but not as much as I dislike being lied to.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Quote Originally Posted by CRags99 View Post
    ... but not as much as I dislike being lied to.
    One has to be careful with the media. There is a very fine line between unbiased news, and commentary.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Heard about this on the radio this morning. I don't watch Hannity, but they played a clip from his response. In the clip he described it as a mistake, and issued what appeared to be a sincere apology. I don't imagine the host had much involvement with the video editing, but who knows.

Use of stock footage is fairly commonplace. During the Iraq invasion of '03, the media was showing clips from Desert Storm.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    I still like Fox news because they can say the word "Terrorist" when referring to the Ft. Hood shooter.

What about cnn saying a white racist tea bagger with an assult rifle at the Phx VFW CONFERENCE. When if you could see the whole picture, and not just the rifle that it was a black man carrying the rifle.

Fox rocks! IMO, it's far better than all the bias slants for the other media outlets...

I guess I'll look at it like, fighting fire with fire.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Hmmmm.........
    Fox News...........New York Times.........
    Which do I trust more?

Did the NYT run a story when their own Maureen Dowd quoted Bush, then when observers looked at the actual video found Doud had changed what he said, but quoted her changed version? Ummm, no.

I get tired of Hannity, but between him and the NYT, there is no comparison.

Does this say that "The Daily Show" watches Hannity, or do you think they were tipped off as to how to run a negative story?

JD
    Administrator

The media as a whole is flawed, what can we bicker about next...where'd my Coke vs. Pepsi thread go?

I have a hard time trusting any media that I can't verify by a few other sources.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

The media as a whole is flawed, what can we bicker about next...where'd my Coke vs. Pepsi thread go?
    I hope you were joking, We all know Coke is better. Pepsi is for

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    I hope you were joking, We all know Coke is better. Pepsi is for
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-our-time.html

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    They are picking on a video clip.... nevermind the fact the there was an actual protest. They... like all media is trying to downplay the actual event in attempt to take people's mind off the fact of the matter.

There was a protest... lots of people showed up... they where peeved about the monster they are trying to ram down our throats... All the response was "Heeeeey that video wasn't from the protest!"
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Coke +1
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I, actually, am pretty happy that this minor matter is all that they can find wrong with Fox News reporting. With the major screwups, obvious agenda, and outright lies coming form the other networks, I would say Fox is doing pretty well. The biggest screwup they can find is an old video spliced in with a new one.

That was a mistake caused by video editing, and it is commonly done throughout the industry; a very good friend of mine works as a video technician/editor for KSAT-12 news here in San Antonio, and he told me that they have archives and archives of file footage they use to place into reports & segments to keep the viewers glued to the tube; After all, he told me, "could you imagine listening to someone report the news with a blue or black empty screen behind them??"
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links