Paraskevidekatriaphobia!

This is a discussion on Paraskevidekatriaphobia! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Happy Friday the 13th. Here's everything you never needed to know in the first place about today: Fear of Friday the thirteenth (a fear recently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paraskevidekatriaphobia!

Paraskevidekatriaphobia!

Happy Friday the 13th. Here's everything you never needed to know in the first place about today:

Fear of Friday the thirteenth (a fear recently dubbed paraskevidekatriaphobia), despite the fact that Friday turns out to be the most common weekday on which the 13th of a month can occur in the Gregorian calendar. The association of bad luck with Friday appeared in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in the late 14th century ("and on a Friday fell all this misfortune"), but references to Friday as a day associated with ill luck in general first appear around the middle of the 17th century (Mikkelson and Mikkelson). In particular, it appeared in numerous publications as a particularly unlucky day to start a new venture (beginning a journey, giving birth, getting married, moving, starting a new job, etc.) beginning around 1800 (Mikkelson and Mikkelson).

While 13 is associated with the number of people at the Last Supper, the Crucifixion took place on a Friday, thus leading to an association of back luck with the combination of this number and day.

Paraskevidekatriaphobia is probably the most widespread superstition in the United States, possibly affecting tens of millions of Americans. Interestingly, a study by Scanlon et al. (1993) published in the prestigious British Medical Journal which analyzed the relation between health, behavior, and superstition surrounding Friday 13th in the United Kingdom by comparing the ratio of traffic volume to traffic accidents on Friday the 6th and Friday the 13th over a period of years found that, "The risk of hospital admission as a result of a transport accident may be increased by as much as 52%. Staying at home is recommended."

While there does not appear to be hard evidence to support the claim, it has been suggested that $800 to $900 million are lost each Friday the 13th (Roach 2004) as a result of people avoiding travel, wedding plans, moving, and so on.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

I have a fear of people with unrealistic fears, what do you call that?

13 is actually my favorite number, I guess for 2 reasons. It is always available as no one wants it and it kinda flies in the face of people with unrealistic fears.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Phobophobia!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    The only people that should fear Friday the 13th are the Templars!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Paraskevide-WHAT?

Man, that's a mouthful just to describe Friday the 13th. Which incidentally is my luckiest day of the year. It's all the other one's I worry about.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Smart... especially if you stay away from them...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I have this... Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.. really it's pretty sad.

When I was a kid I got stung by a bee and my toe "bit" by an electric fan on the same day, friday the 13th.

I squished a ball on friday the 13th one time, that did it for me.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    I squished a ball on friday the 13th one time, that did it for me.
    I am weeping thinking about it.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Wow, that sure made it worth getting up this morning, talk about learning something new.
    Thanks Lucy, err, Jon
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I turned 13 on a Friday the 13th. Come to think of it, that could explain a lot!!!!!!!!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    The only people that should fear Friday the 13th are the Templars!
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too.

According to Dan Brown, in The DaVinci Code, the Pope either raided or killed a bunch of the Templars on Friday the 13th in the 11th (?) Century.

Don't know if it's true.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Friday the 13th has been just about the only day of the year with which I don't have a crappy memory associated.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    While 13 is associated with the number of people at the Last Supper, the Crucifixion took place on a Friday, thus leading to an association of back luck with the combination of this number and day.
    I think it actually goes a lot further back than that: to an ancient time when the Jews got the Persian king's permission to fight back and kill anyone who assaulted them on the 13th of Adar (April?), the day Haman (a big shot in the palace) planned their genocide. No Jews died, but they kicked some serious backside on those who would have murdered and looted them. Haman was hanged.

The celebration is now known as the holiday of Purim and is still celebrated today with feasts and giving food to the poor. The story is in the Book of Esther in the Bible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links