Upland hunters; any luck this year?

This is a discussion on Upland hunters; any luck this year? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, how about it? I've had some luck hunting quail on public land, as well as pen pheasants. But those are easy. I tend to ...

Thread: Upland hunters; any luck this year?

Administrator

Upland hunters; any luck this year?

Well, how about it?

I've had some luck hunting quail on public land, as well as pen pheasants. But those are easy. I tend to stick with public land early on, as it is a nice warm up for both me and the dog.

So far, my dog has found more birds for other hunters than he has me. Normally, I dont let strangers shoot over my dog, but this dog needs more experiance and I've been able to send him in on birds that other guys already have cornered making an easy point, flush and retrieve for practice.

I'm heading out in the a.m. for more released birds. If its not to crazy, I'll switch over to quail later in the day after the crazys have gone home and I can get the dog really working.

After Thanksgiving, I switch over to private land and preserve hunting. Thats when the fun really begins.

In early December, I'll be heading west, first stop Iowa then on to points unknown on a quest for ditch chickens.

I'm interested in the reports from your neck of the woods.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'd normally be in the bush every weekend at this time of year after grouse.

Problem is, I'm still recovering from six cracked ribs and just the thought of a 12 gauge firing from my right shoulder gives me the willies!

Good luck to you!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    I'd normally be in the bush every weekend at this time of year after grouse.

Problem is, I'm still recovering from six cracked ribs and just the thought of a 12 gauge firing from my right shoulder gives me the willies!

Good luck to you!!
    Hey, I just switch to a 20 auto this year. You hardly know you are shooting it, and it downs the birds just as well. I'll probably switch back to a 12 though for my Iowa trip. Ranges are a little longer and the birds are a bit tougher.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hey, I just switch to a 20 auto this year. You hardly know you are shooting it, and it downs the birds just as well. I'll probably switch back to a 12 though for my Iowa trip. Ranges are a little longer and the birds are a bit tougher.
    I hear you, but it still hurts (a lot) when I raise my right arm anywhere near 90 degrees.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Hoping to get back into my beloved hills to hunt grouse this year.
    No guarantees, though.
    This rotating shift knocks the stuffing out of my social and recreational life.
    Wallaby Jack put it right when he observed that "Rotating shift is correctly spelled without the letter 'F'!"
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

We hoped to get our dogs out (Springers) for opening pheasant season this weekend, but big snow storm coming in may shut things down. Hope to hunt Iowa later this month.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Quail season opens Thanksgiving day here,and I can hardly wait. A cool,frosty sunrise,slipping on a well broken-in pair of boots shrugging into your worn vest.
    Open the dogbox and letting out the only one who is looking forward to this day more than you. The big Pointer sprints off the tailgate,marks a few bushes and gives one of those full body shakes to tell you "I'm Ready!"

I drop two no.8s into my double,shut the breech,shoulder it one more time and swing through a make belive covey rise and step off behind my dog....

Yea I'm ready!
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Had some luck with early dove and quail. Turkey opens tommorrow, but I've got a sick kid that I'll be home watching.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Administrator
    Well, yesterday was a bust. I didn't see one pheasant. I don't know if it was my fault, the dogs (who wouldn't settle in and work) or what. We did jump some woodcock, but I didn't shoot 'em. I just don't care much for woodcock.
    The dog did find a small covey of quail, but didn't hold his point and flushed them before I was within decent range of my 20ga. Using the right choke and load, I might of had a chance to down a few. But, it was a small covey in a area just were numbers are low. It was probably best I didn't take any.

Oh well, it was a nice day for a walk with the dog. I guess I have to pick burrs out and give the dog a bath so he can sleep out of his crate tonight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I retired my Brittany a few years ago when he was 10. Just 2 weeks ago, we lost him at age 15 1/2. He was my best friend and by far the best pheasant dog I have ever had. He was also a fabulous family dog. Nothing will ever replace his life here with us. We miss him so much.

I will really miss hitting the fields, maybe again another day. Sorry for the tearful report. Good luck to everyone and remember that the time spent with your dog is time you will never forget. Best friends forever.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Administrator
    I just got back from hunting a new area. It was a good one. We (me and the dog) jumped three pheasants in one 10 acre or so hay field. The dog performed great, he is getting better and better each outing.

The first bird I kicked up as the dog worked another part of the field. It surprised us both. I let the bird get out a lot farther than I normally would, but the little Turk 20 auto made quick work of the rooster.

The second bird the dog found, but I wasnt paying attention to my dog. The bird flushed and it was as if the rooster had a solid fuel booster strapped to his back. It was up and out of range quick... I still tried to knock it down but failed. The big ole rooster was up and over a ridge and tree line.

The third bird... this was a gem; the dog had a perfect point, waited for the command to flush. Perfect. The bird rocketed up and straight out, making an easy shot for me. The 20 barked once and the big rooster crumpled and fell about 15 yds from where he started.

Over all, it was a nice afternoon hunt. I screwed up one bird, it was lost because I wasn't paying attention. The dog did great, he has come a long way from the smelly, scared rescue that others have given up on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Nicely done.

Bag one for me next time. Hopefully I'll get one for you next season when I'm all healed up.

Links