BUG question???

This is a discussion on BUG question??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK I'm new here and am getting used to the lingo. I just figured out that BUG meant Back-Up Gun. My question is: What neighborhood ...

Thread: BUG question???

BUG question???

OK I'm new here and am getting used to the lingo. I just figured out that BUG meant Back-Up Gun. My question is: What neighborhood do you live in that you need a BUG??? There was a guy talking about needing a higher caliber BUG to carry with his H&K .45. If I lived in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem I would probably carry an arsenal.

Really, I travel alot and leave a gun in the car all the time and carry on my person most of the time as well. But I don't look for trouble nor would I stand around and get into a gun battle that would require me to need a BUG. I figure I try to kill (yes, kill) whatever I am shooting at the first two shots. If that doesn't work I need to get out of there.

I'm not poking fun, I just wonder if maybe I am missing something.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    The BUG is for when your primary weapon is unusable (for whatever reason). Neighborhood's got nothin to do with it.

BUGs serve a number of purposes. In fact, I've always hated the term 'backupgun'. I prefer simply, second gun, or another gun.
    1. Gives the carrier a gun to use should his primary gun be rendered inoperable for whatever reason. ie, out of ammo, broken part that cant be IMMEDIATELY repaired, taken away by assailant.
    2. If carried in accordance w/one's body position, may actually be the primay gun. If one pocket carries a snub revolver, and is standing or walking and becomes aware of a threat, one can put a hand in the pocket, grip the gun and be ready to put it into play, all the while never revealing one's intentions like one would by sweeping a cover garment to access a strong side hip carried pistol. If carried on an ankle, while driving, a second gun is easy to make very accessible by placing the trouser leg between the wearer's leg and the grip of the gun. Can be accessed by reaching down slightly. No fighting w seatbelts and /or cover garments for a gun worn behind the hip. If seated at a dining area, one can reach for an ankle gun w/out letting anyone around know what one is doing. Surprise can be the edge.
    3. Easy way to arm a second person. My wife, despite all my efforts, does not carry. However, she is proficient w a revolver. If we are out together, and if I feel the need to, I can arm her very quickly w a second gun (but only IF I have a second gun).

So, in conclusion, a bug is not a piece of 'paranoid' equipment. It makes as much sense as carrying a gun, period. Some choose to tote a second gun, some don't. The reasons 'to', are at least as numerous and logical as the reasons 'not to'.

dan

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Murphy's Law.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTomcat View Post
    Really, I travel alot and leave a gun in the car all the time and carry on my person most of the time as well.
    You leave a gun in your car 24/7? Is it locked in a car safe, or is it just hidden under the seat?
    Either way that's irresponsible for a gun owner...

Back to the main question... The BUG is mainly carried for a situation where your primary is disabled or has malfunctioned...or you can't get to it... For instance you are fighting with a BG and you don't have your strong hand available...If you're carrying your BUG in your weakside front pocket you maybe able to use it to save your life...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTomcat View Post
    I figure I try to kill (yes, kill) whatever I am shooting at the first two shots. If that doesn't work I need to get out of there.
    Why on earth would you make this admission on a public Internet forum?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Links