Well, DUH!!!!

This is a discussion on Well, DUH!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What, they didn't use cotton balls? What if the criminals get hurt? Maersk Alabama repels 2nd pirate attack with guns - Yahoo! News I like ...

Thread: Well, DUH!!!!

Well, DUH!!!!

What, they didn't use cotton balls? What if the criminals get hurt?
    Maersk Alabama repels 2nd pirate attack with guns - Yahoo! News

I like how someone from no gun London thinks it is a bad idea for the ships to be able to defend themselves!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    However, Roger Middleton, a piracy expert at the London-based think tank Chatham House, said the international maritime community was still "solidly against" armed guards aboard vessels at sea, but that American ships have taken a different line than the rest of the international community.

"Shipping companies are still pretty much overwhelmingly opposed to the idea of armed guards," Middleton said. "Lots of private security companies employee people who don't have maritime experience. Also, there's the idea that it's the responsibility of states and navies to provide security. I would think it's a step backward if we start privatizing security of the shipping trade."
    Yeah it's worked so well not arming the ships!

I think this says it all:

"Somali pirates understand one thing and only one thing, and that's force," said Capt. Joseph Murphy, who teaches maritime security at the school. "They analyze risk very carefully, and when the risk is too high they are going to step back. They are not going to jeopardize themselves."

...Vice Adm. Bill Gortney of the U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, said the Maersk Alabama had followed the maritime industry's "best practices" in having a security team on board.

"This is a great example of how merchant mariners can take proactive action to prevent being attacked and why we recommend that ships follow industry best practices if they're in high-risk areas," Gortney said in a statement...
    Gee, kinda like life in general, huh? Funny how as is reflected in this article, gun free zones are dangerous, (hear that CALIFORNIA?), and armed zones are safe(hear that CALIFORNIA?)! Only, I tend to stay out of high risk areas, yet I tend to want to be armed anyway...
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

I would think it's a step backward if we start privatizing security of the shipping trade."
    More like, I think it would be a bad idea if the merchants resisted and didn't just lay down and die and let the pirates have unfettered access to the whole ship and all of the cargo.

WHAT A ::!

Hmm, I carry armed guards, cause I can't carry a destroyer?

Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Do you think they may put the Mearsk Alabama on a stay-away-from list?

They should concentrate on British merchant ships. They can be pretty sure the British ships will be unarmed!
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    Do you think they may put the Mearsk Alabama on a stay-away-from list?

They should concentrate on British merchant ships. They can be pretty sure the British ships will be unarmed!

That's baaaa d!

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    I suspect they all look alike at night.
    I've always said this is the perfect place for Blackwater.
    A couple of guys with AR's and Barrett 50's. Sink the pirate boat, feed the sharks, no reports filed, keep moving.
    "Pirate attack? No we didn't have any problem."

Senior Moderator
    A couple of 20mm Phalanx's on each side ought to work well.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

A cinder block heaved over the side into a wooden boat is very deniable... im just saying...
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike View Post
    a cinder block heaved over the side into a wooden boat is very deniable... Im just saying...

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I suspect they all look alike at night.
    I've always said this is the perfect place for Blackwater.
    A couple of guys with AR's and Barrett 50's. Sink the pirate boat, feed the sharks, no reports filed, keep moving.
    "Pirate attack? No we didn't have any problem."
    SIR......They all slipped on a bar of soap......SIR!"

Shipping companies are still pretty much overwhelmingly opposed to the idea of armed guards
    So does this idiot have any better ideas? Or even other ideas?

Nope. Once they heard a no, its was on to the next topic of making money. They aren't worried about protecting it..

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Yes but that really takes the sport out of it.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Yes but that really takes the sport out of it.
    Just use them handheld then, puts the sport right back into it!!!

Patrick Henry

Links