Internet Browser Question

This is a discussion on Internet Browser Question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone know the name of the actual file that holds history for what someone's been looking at using Microsoft's Internet Explorer? How about Mozilla Firefox? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Browser Question

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Anyone know the name of the actual file that holds history for what someone's been looking at using Microsoft's Internet Explorer?

How about Mozilla Firefox?

Thanks in advance...
    For God, Family and Country!

On Firefox, you can set the browser to erase your history when you close the browser. It's hard to do on IE because there are so many "History" files.
    Dump IE, you'll never look back.
    I also set Firefox to ask me every time a cookie is added. Then I have a choice to say no.
    I keep IE just in case I need it to order something online (rare I can't do that on Firefox) but for browsing, Firefox is the way.

Senior Moderator
    The location of the file varies by both the version of Explorer and the version of Windows being used.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

There is a small free program called "CCleaner" that cleans up a number of things in your browser and all other miscellaneous Windows functions. I use it everyday after surfing the net to keep my Windows XP Professional system clean. By keeping everything cleaned up it also makes windows faster, hopes this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    There is a small free program called "CCleaner" that cleans up a number of things in your browser and all other miscellaneous Windows functions. I use it everyday after surfing the net to keep my Windows XP Professional system clean. By keeping everything cleaned up it also makes windows faster, hopes this helps.
    Don't let me get access to your computer, I'll find things you thought were long gone

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Anyone know the name of the actual file that holds history for what someone's been looking at using Microsoft's Internet Explorer?

Thanks in advance...
    Are you trying to find something or erase it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    I second this. It works great and I haven't had any issues with it since the very first version some ten years ago.

Go here to get all kinds of tips and tricks!!!

PCMech | Search Results
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

If you want to keep inquiring minds out of your history, run Firefox.
    If you want to keep the FBI out of your history, destroy the hard drive, nothing else will work.

+1 on firefox; it doesn't matter which version of IE you run, it is still full of security holes, and needs constant patching. I have run firefox since day 1, and have been very happy. No pop-ups, true control over cookies and your history and robust security compared to IE and other browsers. I run Linux, so I am pretty picky when it comes to people snooping around on my machine, firefox is an impressive browser for the money.... Oh, did I mention it doesn't cost anything??

Check it out, you won't be sorry.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    <-- Sold on FireFox as well...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    +1 on firefox; it doesn't matter which version of IE you run, it is still full of security holes, and needs constant patching. I have run firefox since day 1, and have been very happy. No pop-ups, true control over cookies and your history and robust security compared to IE and other browsers. I run Linux, so I am pretty picky when it comes to people snooping around on my machine, firefox is an impressive browser for the money.... Oh, did I mention it doesn't cost anything??

Check it out, you won't be sorry.....
    Ditto what he said, plus, I LOVE Linux. I am using a WinDuhs computer at my sister's house and I can really tell a huge difference! Ubuntu is my choice of flavors! Blows windows away! I even like it better than her new Mac Pro.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    If you want to keep the FBI out of your history, destroy the hard drive, nothing else will work.
    Microwave, meet hard drive!!!!

Patrick Henry

Thanks in advance...
    Not sure but it sounds like you might be looking for some way to monitor what is going on with your computer when you are not around..???

One of the best and easiest monitoring systems is IamBigBrother.

It runs in a stealth mode and keeps track of almost everything going in and out of your system including chat rooms, emails etc...

About $30.

If you want to erase files, that is another story since once it's in there it's in there. Erasing only moves it or compacts it.. To erase information it must be written over with new data.

OMO
    bosco

If you go to tools on IE you can look under Internet Options, then under history you can click settings and it should tell you where the history and temporary internet files are located.

Depending on your OS and how many times IE has been upgraded, or the number of users, there may be additional folders on your HD that have data in them.

You could do a search of your HD for the type of files that are stored in the history and temporary interent files and find additional areas that they are stored.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Or Chrome. Especially in "incognito" mode.

I used to like Firefox. It's gotten to be too much of a memory hog lately, though. It's rapidly going the same route as IE.

For the OP - it depends on which version of Windows and which version of IE. Try looking here for specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post
    Don't let me get access to your computer, I'll find things you thought were long gone
    There's only one real way to clean a drive.... It's called a formated drive....

The delete only removes the directory to the file....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links