Refuse to tip and get cuffed?

This is a discussion on Refuse to tip and get cuffed? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; wonder why the police got involved and didn't use discretion I would have told them to take it to small claims court as it was ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Refuse to tip and get cuffed?

wonder why the police got involved and didn't use discretion

I would have told them to take it to small claims court as it was a disputed comercial transaction
    Steve

Life member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Mandatory gratuity? When did it become "mandatory" to tip? You tip because the service you recieve deserves the gratuity, not before you recieve the service. If the service is substandard then the tip should reflect it. I will tip well for good service, and poor for the same kind. I do see on some menus that large groups of people will be charged a gratuity automatically at the discretion of the establishment. Mostly for 20 persons or above. I don't think it's right, but it's their policy.

Getting arrested for not tipping, that's a bit extreme in my opinion, mandatory or not.
    Not that I am agreeing it is right but I've seen many places have hidden in small print that a xx% gratuity will be added for groups of x or more.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

My opinion,if you think your wait staff needs more money,then charge more for the food and pay them the increase,In no way should a tip be mandatory.I would be surprised if this business didn't close after this incident,I would never darken their door way
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Wow what a joke of an owner. In my younger days I worked as a waiter and I did a good job, but when other waiters/waitresses got bad tips there is 1 of 2 reason they tipped bad....they're either bad tippers or food/service sucked. If your food/service sux expect to get a bad tip from me that's just the way it is. If your a good waiter/waitress i'll tip hefty cause I've been there done that.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

"Mandatory tip" is an oxymoron like "military intelligence" and "educational television"
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Farcical.

The shmucks at the restaurant are demand tipping as a right? It's yet one more example of misconstruing the term "entitlement" and thinking it applies to such mundane things as extra service that failed to be provided.

If the place is of the sort that has a statement on the menu and the business is known for an automatically-added gratuity, then I suppose the person has been forewarned about it. But then, the person should also know about the place and whether it's that good.

Still, if service is truly bad, I don't give a damn if the restaurant typically adds gratuity to the bill. I, too, would refuse to be extorted into paying extra for failure to provide a service. It's not a contract, simply sitting for a meal in exchange for the service. Payment is made for what's received. The food has a fixed price; but the service is extra. Forcing payment else facing arrest? That's extortion, pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by oldogy View Post
    Not that I am agreeing it is right but I've seen many places have hidden in small print that a xx% gratuity will be added for groups of x or more.
    oldogy
    That's specifically for imposing an extra burden on the staff, given the greater demands on attention and time that a larger group typically entails. Of course, IMO it sort of locks you into paying some gratuity, even if that "extra" service was poorly executed.

A tip is an extra gift to the service folks who made the experience memorable. Well, in this case, they apparently chose to make it memorable in another manner. Time to speak to the press, or an attorney. Being cuffed-and-stuffed, defamed and treated in such a manner for refusing extortion isn't supportable.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 20th, 2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: grammar
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    "TIP" stands for To Insure Promptness.

If the service was lousy then there should be no monetary reward for terrible service.

Anyone have an email to the Pub?

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If the service was lousy then there should be no monetary reward for terrible service.
    Forcible reward of extortion "at the point of a gun" via the State's actions should be criminal.

The ones charged should be the folks at the restaurant for filing a false report and deliberate wasting of public resources, let alone the extortion attempt. Imagine ... there's a District Attorney who is apparently supporting these claims.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Forcible reward of extortion "at the point of a gun" via the State's actions should be criminal.

The ones charged should be the folks at the restaurant for filing a false report and deliberate wasting of public resources, let alone the extortion attempt. Imagine ... there's a District Attorney who is apparently supporting these claims.
    Maybe the DA's office should get flooded with e-mails? As well the restaurant....
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont think I would have touched this case with a ten foot pole.
    Copy that - this has civil dispute written all over it. I don't see how an argument for criminal conduct can be made here.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Sounds like a civil dispute, If I was the cop I would get the ID of the people and give the information to the manger and tell them to take it to civil court.

We have some place up here that pull this stunt, I always tell them I will pay the bill but not the service charge.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Copy that - this has civil dispute written all over it. I don't see how an argument for criminal conduct can be made here.

Matt
    I heard about this story again while driving home tonight, and I came back to this thread to post that this is a civil matter. Looks like you guys beat me to it.

FWIW, I despise the automatic tip. Whenever I go out to eat, which is often, I make sure I tip in cash separate from the bill. I always want my point to be clear to the wait staff if they did a good job or not. I tend to tip very well as I appreciate hard work and good service. Shoddy service gets nothing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

exactly my thoughts paramedic70002
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I agree it's a travesty that an establishment can have someone arrested on a charge such as this, but IMO, if the service was that bad. The group really should have had some serious complaints with the manager and demanded either better service, or some reduction on the overall bill. At that point if the manager said no, I'd said well forget the food and we're gonna settle up now.

It might have messed the evening up a little to have to find another place to have dinner, but I don't think it could've ended any worse that it did anyway.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links