Peta screwup

Peta screwup

This is a discussion on Peta screwup within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Don’t boil a lobster, give it a zap instead By BILL POWER Business Reporter Thu. Nov 19 - 4:46 AM A company in the United ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peta screwup

Peta screwup

Don’t boil a lobster, give it a zap instead

By BILL POWER Business Reporter
    Thu. Nov 19 - 4:46 AM

A company in the United Kingdom is about to lift the lid on a device that zaps lobster with electricity to kill them, and the inventor said Wednesday his humane alternative to boiling is about to give the entire industry a jolt.

British entrepreneur Simon Buckhaven said the CrustaStun system, developed over the past decade by his company Studham Technologies Limited, near London, kills the lobster with an electric charge, so the crustacean feels no "pain or distress."

"I am entirely aware this product will be greeted at first with some skepticism among people in the lobster industry in Eastern Canada and northeastern United States," said Mr. Buckhaven, of what he called the world’s first crustacean stunner.

But he said the animal rights movement in Europe and the United States is gaining traction by protesting the traditional method of killing a lobster in boiling water, prior to serving it with melted lemon or garlic butter.

Seafood distributors and regional seafood retailers are among potential customers lining up to test out the device, said Mr. Buckhaven.

"A lot of people who love to eat lobster do not like preparing it at home because they have to cook it in boiling water. The restaurant industry is also more frequently hearing questions about how lobster will be killed from customers," said the entrepreneur.

Prototypes of the CrustaStun have made appearances in the U.K and in the United States over the years, but the company has just come up with a production model capable of plugging into North American and European power grids and is accepting orders for the devices. They cost about US$3,500 and sit in a kitchen like a microwave.

The inventor and his wife and business partner Charlotte were invited by animal rights activists to a big lobster dinner fundraiser last week, sponsored by the non-profit Child and Family Resource Centre in Tucson, Ariz.

"This is an important fundraiser for us but the animal rights groups were complaining about the lobster being boiled alive. The idea was the protesters would accept the stun device as a more humane way of killing lobster, compared to cooking them in boiling water," said Eric Schindler, president of the resource centre.

Mr. Schindler said in an interview he could not comment either way on boiling versus electrocution as the preferred method of killing lobster.

The animal rights group PETA bought two of the lobster devices and paid for Mr. Buckhaven and his wife to fly to the Arizona event last Saturday to demonstrate the technology.

Unfortunately, the courier service lost the two machines and the animal rights people had to look the other way as volunteers killed hundreds of lobster in boiling water for hungry supporters of the resource centre.

This was perhaps not an auspicious North American debut for the crustacean zapper, but Mr. Buckhaven said the interest of animal rights activists in the Arizona fundraiser should have people in the lobster industry in Eastern Canada paying attention.

"We developed our device out of concern about how lobster and other crustaceans are killed. Animal rights groups share this concern," said Mr. Buckhaven.

He said an industrial version of the CrustaStun system is currently under development by Charlottetown Metal Products in Prince Edward Island. These custom-built models can cost about $100,000 or more.

His company is looking for a North American manufacturer and distributor of the single-lobster device that goes into production in the United Kingdom next week.

The increasing interest of some U.S. celebrities like Mary Tyler Moore and Ellen Degeneres, and organizations like PETA, in lobster cooking techniques has not generated a huge amount of interest in Canada. A segment on the Ellen Show featuring her attempt to free a 65-year-old lobster is popular on YouTube.

Anything that potentially threatens Nova Scotia’s $400-million lobster industry is worthy of some consideration, said Celeste Sulliman, a spokeswoman for the province’s Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture.

"Low prices devastated the industry last year and demonstrated the fragile nature of the marketplace," she said.

The topic of lobster cooking has generated lots of interest in the United Kingdom, where some chefs weighing in on the topic suggested freezing the lobster in a plastic bag as a humane and economical alternative to an electric jolt from the CrustaStun
    I guess even Peta will kill if it looks like they might be killed instead
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    good article, I really liked the part about "melted lemon or garlic butter"

Boil them, lobster is expensive enough, don't add a charge for a 3500$ machine to it also.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

So PETA held an event to show how boiling lobsters is cruel, yet went ahead and boiled hundreds of lobsters for their hungry guests. Nice, PETA, real nice.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Its really funny how people don't realize that a lobster has about as much intelligence and awareness as a cockroach....
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    PETA probably wouldn't want you to step on a cockroach either.

When people are hungry....even PETA will boil a lobster. I bet none of them refused to eat the boiled lobsters either. Hypocrites!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Probably the same ARA that buy a bunch of live lobsters and release them in a fresh water lake
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Probably the same ARA that buy a bunch of live lobsters and release them in a fresh water lake
    Not the brightest bulbs in the box are they. LMAO
    Thomas Jefferson

$3500???? I bet a stun gun would work just as well and cost hella less money!!!! I think I just found a niche market, and, I am in LA right now. $$$$$ here I come!!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

VIP Member
    Hey, I'm a life long member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA), so what's the problem with boiling a lobster, blue crab, crawdad, etc.?

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Its really funny how people don't realize that a lobster has about as much intelligence and awareness as a cockroach....
    As does the average PETA member
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

VIP Member
    It is my understanding that there is a reason, grounded in biology, that lobsters must be cooked alive. Once dead, their internal chemistry rapidly produces putracine and cadavarine (possibly others, I am dredging up stuff from a very long ago biochemistry class) which, if memory serves, ruin flavor and are also toxic.

I suspect that even if killed with a stun, they still would have to be very rapidly dropped into boiling water to stop the reactions which will cause them to taste just awful.

EW3
    I prefer this method:

YouTube - How to Kill a Lobster
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member
    A .45 between the eyes will do the same thing, and is a lot cheaper than $3500.!

Senior Moderator
    PETA is a scary, extremist organization that funds domestic terrorism.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    PETA probably wouldn't want you to step on a cockroach either.

When people are hungry....even PETA will boil a lobster. I bet none of them refused to eat the boiled lobsters either. Hypocrites!
    The reason being that their membership includes many of them.

A bunch "a cock-a-roaches" (said with voice of Tony Montana in "Scarface")
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links