Anybody Out There Use SKYPE

This is a discussion on Anybody Out There Use SKYPE within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had a person show me SKYPE.Com on his PC. What interested me was his ability to stream music off the internet, something that I ...

I had a person show me SKYPE.Com on his PC. What interested me was his ability to stream music off the internet, something that I would like to be able to do, since there are times I am working in places where background music in my case smooth jazz would make life easier, and help pass the time.

I went to Siype.com - si ype Resources and Information.This website is for sale!, and I see that I need to download some software. There is no mention of what he had shown me, just cheap phone usage.

Does anybody use SKYPE for anything, and if you do, what is involved for me to get this free streaming music.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Think you may have typoed the addy try this Skype ? Make free calls and great value calls on the internet

VIP Member
    Skype is a great phone service. We use it almost every day for international calls.
    If you have an iPhone with wifi access, you can also run Skype calls through the iPhone.

Google's new Voice is also a great little phone service. I do wish they hadn't killed "Grand Central. Both Google Voice and Skype are either free or very inexpensive for the services which do have fees.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    The wife and I got back from Europe a couple weeks back, and we used Skype to call home. We travel with a $400 netbook with built-in webcam, and Val was able to do video calls and see our grandson every day, to the tune of $.03/minute. We deposited 10 euros in the account and it lasted us the entire 2 week trip.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I use when I travel on business. My wife has Skype on her computer and I have it on mine, so it is free when we talk to each other.

I have not used it, but I have family members that use it and they love it. I could be wrong but it sounds from your post that you are mainly interested in Skype for its ability to stream music. If this is the case here are a few legal and amazing sites I listen to.

Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music
    you create your own radio stations based on bands, songs and such

Slacker Personal Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio Stations
    similiar to pandora, but they have preconfigured stations, but you can also create your own.

Both are excellent sound quality

Before I moved here to the USA, I spoke daily with my wife on SKYPE, we both had laptops with built in web cams and broadband, so a 3 or 4 hour call cost us nothing.

Even now I use the system 2 or 3 times a week to stay in touch with friends back in Ireland, its a great system although connections can be kind of rough at times, but generally speaking it cant be beat .
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I like Slacker and use that myself.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Skype is a great VOIP program. I use is as my business phone system. Free computer to computer calls anywhere in the world. In the US it is only $0.02 per minute for calls to/from cell phones and land lines.

Many other useful features at little or no cost.

I have not tried the music streaming, but I will look into it.
    NRA Life member
    USCCA member
    A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
    A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!

skype is a great service and low cost way to contact folks overseas. we talk to guy in china regularly and it is clearer than my land line to my neighbor. Plus there are call forwarding/answering service features that are really neato. For example forward overseas calls to your cell at reduced cost.

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

We use it to talk to my wife's brother in Wyoming. It's great. I don't really care to see his ugly mug on the computer but it's fun to see his son as he grows up.
    Luck is not a feeling it's a way of life

I use Skype to video chat with overseas family...good for some purposes. For free steaming music I have used pandora for the last few years...love it and have found some great new music on there. It's free-----check em' out:

Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

if your main interest is just to listen to streaming music then check out the website for your local station and see if they stream their station. Most of the stations here in orlando stream their broadcasts online now. If you have XM radio you can listen to XM online through your XM account also

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I have Skype with outbound service number linked to a Google Voice account as my primary phone service. I bought a nice Philips cordless Skype phone with DECT and it is the best phone/service I ever had and it only costs $30 a year for unlimited everything. I can even send and receive text messages through Google Voice and have full control over who can call me. Additionally, we use Skype to speak to a friend who is doing Christian Missionary work in Congo and the voice quality is as good to Africa as any international call I've made to Europe and it's free.

If you want a good music streaming service that lets you choose what you want to listen to (unlike Pandora) try Grooveshark - Listen to Free Music Online - Internet Radio - Free MP3 Streaming

Links