WSJ: Iran Approves 10 Uranium Enrichment Sites

This is a discussion on WSJ: Iran Approves 10 Uranium Enrichment Sites within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There is but one solution to a nuclear Iran, IMHO. Diplomacy does not appear to be effective, at least not in the current style. They ...

Thread: WSJ: Iran Approves 10 Uranium Enrichment Sites

Post WSJ: Iran Approves 10 Uranium Enrichment Sites

There is but one solution to a nuclear Iran, IMHO. Diplomacy does not appear to be effective, at least not in the current style. They are pushing the current folks around like the wet noodles they are.

TEHRAN, Iran -- The Iranian government approved a plan Sunday to build 10 new uranium enrichment facilities, a dramatic expansion in defiance of U.N. demands it halt the program.

Iran's ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency, Ali Asghar Soltanieh, briefed the media during the IAEA's 35-nation board meeting in Vienna on Friday.

The decision comes only two days after the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency censured Iran, demanding it immediately stop building a newly revealed enrichment facility near the holy city of Qom and freeze all uranium enrichment activities.

A Cabinet meeting headed by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad ordered the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran to begin building five uranium enrichment sites that have already been studied and propose five other locations for future construction within two months.

In Vienna, spokeswoman Gillian Tudor said the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency would have no comment. But the announcement is likely to stoke already high tensions between Iran and the West over its controversial nuclear activities.

Iran has one industrial-scale uranium enrichment plant near Natanz, in central Iran. The IAEA said earlier this month that about 8,600 centrifuges had been set up in Natanz, but only about 4,000 were enriching uranium. The facility will eventually house 54,000 centrifuges. The newly revealed enrichment site, known as Fordo, is a small scale site that will house nearly 3,000 centrifuges.

The Iranian Parliamentary speaker, Ali Larijani said cooperation might not be maintained if the West continued to put pressure on the Islamic state over its nuclear program. Video courtesy of Reuters.

IRNA said the Cabinet ordered that the 10 new sites have a scale equal to Natanz's.

In the enrichment process, uranium gas is spun in centrifuges to purify it. Enriched to a low degree, the result is fuel for a nuclear reactor -- but highly enriched uranium can be used to build a warhead. The United States and its allies accuse Iran of secretly seeking to develop a bomb, a claim denied by Iran, which says it seeks only to generate electricity.

Under Iranian law, Iran's nuclear agency has been tasked with providing 20,000 megawatts of electricity through nuclear power plants during in the next 20 years. IRNA said the country needs to build enrichment facilities to produce nuclear fuel for its future power plants.

Mr. Ahmadinejad told the Cabinet that Iran will need to install 500,000 centrifuges throughout the planned enrichment facilities to produce between 250 to 300 tons of fuel annually.

2. Remove Ads

Time to send in the ground level, fast flying, BIG bombs...

It's going to happen before this year is out...mark my words.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Time to turn the sand in Iran into fused glass
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member

Question for Restup99

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Time to send in the ground level, fast flying, BIG bombs...

It's going to happen before this year is out...mark my words.
    Do you mean in the next 4 weeks?

I agree with you it looks inevitable. Wish it weren't so, but they are making their choices and we have to make ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Do you mean in the next 4 weeks?

I agree with you it looks inevitable. Wish it weren't so, but they are making their choices and we have to make ours.

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Iran is an awfully small country to have 10 enrichment facilitys.

We have over 100 operational commercial nuclear plants that provide electricity and we dont have that many.

That alone makes it suspect.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I doubt our Administration has the......ah.....nerves to do it, but personally I believe it'd be a great application for the B-2's.

I have a pretty strong idea retsup is correct, and can kind of guess who might execute on this risk.................

A nuclear Iran is not a comforting thought.

Senior Moderator
    It wont be us making the smoking hole in the ground.

Israel could have it done and over before you could get your first cup of coffee out of the pot.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I think Israel will be the one to take care of business. By the time the UN gets through talking Iran will have all the bombs they want.Iran is too unstable to have atomic weapons.

I agree, Israel will be doing it , I just hope this administration doesn't put its foot on the Israelis neck for doing it. I know for damn sure that Mccain would of backed Israel 1000 percent
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

VIP Member

foot on neck re: mi2az

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I agree, Israel will be doing it , I just hope this administration doesn't put its foot on the Israelis neck for doing it. I know for damn sure that Mccain would of backed Israel 1000 percent
    Historically, that is what every administration has done---go back and read all the complaints when Iraq's nuclear reactor was bombed. See what the headlines were like and what Ike did in 1956.

Not only do the administrations (of both parties) put a foot on the neck, but the press does its thing as well and kicks away. Anyone else old enough to recall the viscous attacks on Israel for taking Iraq's nuclear capability down? Of course ten years later we were thankful, but certainly not at the time.

It won't be different now. It won't be different if McCain is in because of the presence (long long long and well known presence) of Arabists within the State Department and the necessity of appeasing the Saudis and Kuwait because we have been incapable of freeing ourselves of dependence on their oil.

Attacking Iran really should not be something left to Israel or encouraged of her. It would involve overflying several other hostile states or states which are marginally "friendly. That alone would cause considerable political turmoil in the region.

It would also require US permission for aircraft to cross Iraq. With that fact, we would get the blame for what Israel does.

If we are going to get the blame we might as well do the job ourselves since Iran with nukes are a threat to our vital interests.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Time to turn the sand in Iran into fused glass
    We can't pump oil through fused glass...

Whatever happens there, it will be something else. I hate to be called a conspiracy theorist, but all of this is building to a false flag.

There is just too much news about this. Look how easily we are all ready to attack.

Just like the WMD's in Iraq, we'll find something, and before you know it, we'll be invading Iran, just like Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.
    Last edited by Mountaineer; November 30th, 2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: one is a theorist...

Links