Rottweiler

This is a discussion on Rottweiler within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; While deer hunting today, I had a Rottweiler come into the area I was watching for deer. It was coming in my direction so I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rottweiler

Rottweiler

While deer hunting today, I had a Rottweiler come into the area I was watching for deer. It was coming in my direction so I stood up (I hunt from the ground) so it could see me and not be startled when it got close to me. When it spotted me, it lowered its head and bristled up. I saw it was not a friendly dog so I shouted at it hoping it would leave the area. When I shouted, it came charging towards me. I did not have any other choice other than to shoot it. The bullet caught it in the chest and that was the end of him. He was in terrible
    condition...very thin. He looked like it had been a LONG time since it had eaten a good meal. There was no collar nor did his neck show any signs of having worn one. All my years of shooting paid off today with that shot. If I had not been carrying a weapon someone else would probably be posting a news story about a man being attacked by a Rottweiler . I did shoot it with my rifle. Where I hunt, you cannot carry a handgun unless you are hunting with it. I posted this just to reinforce the importance of always being armed. You never know what may happen...practice all you can!
    SA 1911 9mm, Ruger LCP, EMP9, M&P45, LWRC 6.8SCP

Semper Fi...

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Shame ya had to kill him...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

That was a shame Sarge, but you probably did him a kindness.

You did the right thing. Any wild dog should be shot (if it is a friendly pet and you care for it or find it a home that is a different story). Maybe a hikers dog that ran off and got lost. We have a bad problem with folks just dumping unwanted dogs where I live. Ferrel dogs can be one of the most dangerous things you can come across in the woods.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

+1 Stevew, feral dogs are a big problem where I live, too. I swear the dogs outnumber people. We constantly have problems with them harassing livestock. If people cared about their dogs, they would take better care of them.

I had to shoot a dog once that came after us when I was walking with my kids. I hate to think what would've happened if I hadn't been there.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    It sounds like you defended yourself from a wild animal that was following its animal instinct to attack you. Survival of the fittest. Man with gun '1' -- rabid dog '0'.

That hits home for me being a rottweiler owner but if your on the bad end of ANY dog you have to do what has to be done. This is the second thread about shooting feral dogs in just the last week or so.
    They seem to be on the rise everywhere this year. Bad owners coupled with a bad economy has made the numbers rise greatly.
    Glad you were not hurt.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Was he running to you glad to see a human being, or actually in an attack mode ? Some times it can be hard to distinguish, and others there is no doubt. I've ran into feral dogs that I would not hestitate to drop them.... extremely aggressive.

I got a call from a Vet that I should check out a dog at the Humane Society. I went and checked her out and she came home with me. She had been out on her own for long while.... didn't come in there in too great of a condition... skin and bones, matted, etc. No one would recognize her now after 3 weeks.... she was cleaned up well, been eating and eating (gaining some weight) and is actually a "great" dog.
    She's really happy to have a home, a buddy to play with (my other dog) , some attention and good food.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    You did the right thing. Any wild dog should be shot (if it is a friendly pet and you care for it or find it a home that is a different story). Maybe a hikers dog that ran off and got lost. We have a bad problem with folks just dumping unwanted dogs where I live. Ferrel dogs can be one of the most dangerous things you can come across in the woods.
    I agree 100%

As the ecomony tightens and folks can not feed their dogs many of the dogs that do not fear man are turned loose or taken to woods etc and let go. Hunger drives them and if they join a pack then the pack rules them. They can become killers of livestock and even humans especially children playing in the woods. This problem is just starting and will only get worse.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Sorry you had to shoot the dog, but I'm glad you didn't get hurt.

Dirty
    Last edited by QKShooter; December 3rd, 2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: sp has been corrected in the title and OP

Eagleks...There was no doubt this dog was not happy to see a human. He was in attack mode. I am a dog lover and would never shoot one unless absolutly necessary. Several people around my home are giving me a hard time about killing this dog, but it was either me or him. I had no other choice.
    SA 1911 9mm, Ruger LCP, EMP9, M&P45, LWRC 6.8SCP

Semper Fi...

Taking a life, any life, whether it is for food, to prevent crop damage, in combat or to stop a dangerous attack is an action that is often the only choice one has. Sad but true. Sounds like you did what you had to do.

bosco

VIP Member
    Glad you're ok...It's never easy to kill an animal like that, but you had no choice...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

It is sad to say but, you probably did the animal a favor. Living in the woods half starved is no way for a domesticated dog to live. I have never seen a dog running deer here in Michigan while hunting, but I know of a lot of people who shoot them on sight.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Shame ya had to kill him...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    I agree 100%

As the ecomony tightens and folks can not feed their dogs many of the dogs that do not fear man are turned loose or taken to woods etc and let go. Hunger drives them and if they join a pack then the pack rules them. They can become killers of livestock and even humans especially children playing in the woods. This problem is just starting and will only get worse.

YEP^^^^^^^^^

Sorry you cannot hunt with a handgun unless you are actually hunting with it,?? EVEN if you are a cpl holder??
    That sucks, here in Michigan you can even take your pistol with you while bowhunting, if you are a CPL holder; I guess they must trust us here??????

If there is to be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    Thomas Paine
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links