Very silly incident this morning

This is a discussion on Very silly incident this morning within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, this is very silly….. I took my insulated cup to the cafeteria next door (inside same building as the VA Clinic but under another ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very silly incident this morning

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Very silly incident this morning

Ok, this is very silly…..
    I took my insulated cup to the cafeteria next door (inside same building as the VA Clinic but under another authority) to get some ice. Several months ago I got a cup of ice with their cup and was charged .25 cents. Next day I brought my own cup – got some ice and the lady at the register said that was okay & no charge.
    So began my routine.

A couple times a week I’d go by and get my ice, chat with the ladies and go on my way. Later on I noticed a homemade sign saying something about not using your own cup for drinks but figured that was to keep people from bringing large cups – getting a drink and only paying the standard price and as I was only getting ice I didn’t ask and no one ever mentioned it.

This morning a lady was in line – just finished getting her drink with the cafeteria’s cup – after she was out of the way I said G’morning and I put my cup up and started getting some ice. She replied “You know we aren’t supposed to use our own cups for this.

My response was “Oh, I thought that was to keep people from bringing in very large cups and only paying the standard price. She put her hands around the area where the ice comes out and said “no, it’s because of unwashed cups transferring germs” I know because “I’m” the one who put up the sign.

As usual, I didn’t think of any good things to say at the time – These things always come to mind much later instead of right then and there when it’d have been a more appropriate response.

So.... all I could think to say (and I didn’t mean it in a rude way, just as a simple statement) was “Ok, I’ll just go somewhere else then.”, and turned to walk away. She then responded with “Whatever” after I was a few feet away.

Thinking about it later made me feel she might have thought I was being smart with my answer – which I wasn’t. But it did irk me about her being that way about it in the first place.

The more I thought about it – I wish I was a quicker thinker and after hearing her say that about the germs – wished I’d have laughed and said “You have GOT to be kidding, do you REALLY believe that? Then why do almost all the fast food restaurants let anyone come up and do their own refills?” Then leaving I should have said “Whatever”….

Thus the title to this – Silly incident this morning. Silly of me to even post I guess – just my way to vent a little ….
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    He who has the ice makes the rules.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    This morning a lady was in line – just finished getting her drink with the cafeteria’s cup – after she was out of the way I said G’morning and I put my cup up and started getting some ice. She replied “You know we aren’t supposed to use our own cups for this.

My response was “Oh, I thought that was to keep people from bringing in very large cups and only paying the standard price. She put her hands around the area where the ice comes out and said “no, it’s because of unwashed cups transferring germs” I know because “I’m” the one who put up the sign.
    I would have told her my cup had just been washed and its probably cleaner than your dirty hands you just put on the ice dispensor.

I've seen some kind of study (dont know where or when or who) that showed that ice in a restaurant dispensor was just as contaminated as the toilet water...
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    I would have told her my cup had just been washed and its probably cleaner than your dirty hands you just put on the ice dispensor.
    I like it. I probably would have just looked at her with a eating grin and said something that would have gotten me in trouble. Tell me I'm wrong, and I'll accept it (if I am ever wrong) but tell me I'm wrong with an attitude and neither one of us will be making progress.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    look at sign
    "que? No habla ingles"
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    He who has the ice makes the rules.
    Until they ice, then only outlaws will have ice.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Ok, I know there was a sign - but - the lady at the register said no problem with me just getting ice.

Also - found out that sign lady has nothing to do with the cafeteria but am told she loves to meddle in others business and claims \ thinks herself to be "upper" management but is only the person who leases space to others in the building.
    For God, Family and Country!

Maybe next time a size 12 boot to the backside will clear things up double quick

My guess is they posted the sign as a CYA to cover them with the health department. You know, the same type sign that says "Please use a clean plate each trip to the food bar" or similar wording.
    Since the comment was made about the cleanliness of ice in a dispenser environment I'll tell this short story.
    I was eating in a well known nationally known fast food restaurant about 25 years ago when the 'help' carried a bucket of ice out to the dispenser, placed the bucket on the floor while he removed the lid to the dispenser. Then he poured the ice into the dispenser and proceeded to use the bottom of the same bucket that had been on the floor to pack the ice down in the dispenser.
    oldogy, who was sitting there with a drink filled with ice from the dispenser.
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

VIP Member
    Next time you need ice, forget about the cup or whatever, just hold your mouth open under the ice dispenser, let 'er fill up and be on your way. No cup.....no problem (works with fountain drinks just as well)
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

You should have poured your ice back into the ice hopper and said sorry.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

So, I guess no refills are allowed either since that would surely be contaminated by the first use....definitely sounds like a meddling near-do-well.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post

I've seen some kind of study (dont know where or when or who) that showed that ice in a restaurant dispensor was just as contaminated as the toilet water...
    Heh...just wait until you see the episode Mythbusters did last year on ToothBrushes!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Did she have a buzz cut, sharp eyebrows and pointy glasses? I think I've seen that lady around...

The presence or absence of guilt inside you is a good indicator of whether you were right or wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links