Machinists - reminder warning

This is a discussion on Machinists - reminder warning within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone here who is or has been used to machining will appreciate this and know about it. I direct it more to those who are ...

Thread: Machinists - reminder warning

Assistant Administrator

Machinists - reminder warning

Anyone here who is or has been used to machining will appreciate this and know about it. I direct it more to those who are relatively ''casual''/hobbyist with their metal work.

Whether just using your drill press, or maybe even a small lathe - NEVER but NEVER leave a chuck key in the chuck after use!

Old buddy in UK who has done hobby machining for years, told me when I spoke to him this evening he is now no longer stereo vision competent! Yes, he has lost an eye. About a month ago and despite medical efforts to help - no go - his eyeball was mash!

He was only using his drill press but had left the chuck key in place - and yes, he started the machine and Murphy made sure that the rapidly accelerating chuck key came straight for his face - one dangerous degree out of a whole 360! Bummer.

So - thought I'd mention it - just in case anyone gets sloppy with safety - one other accident saved is worth a boring post!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    At it least it wasnt a chuck key in a lathe...

they are heavy enough to kill you...

Sorry to hear about your friend. It's a pet peeve of mine at work to find keys in the chuck especially since they are operated off a foot pedal.

Lathe chuck key can kill you licky split! It's a bad habit that only needs demo'd once to cure.

I take it he had no eye protection on either?

Lead Moderator
    safety glasses are a must too. Don't need sharp bits of metal in the eye. In fact, during my auto repair job days a pair of safety glasses saved me from a flying scocket. Hit right between the eyes of the safety glasses.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Nope - no eye protection! Mind you I wonder if even that would have saved him in this case.

Oh yes, lathe chuck keys - I dread to imagine their velocity when taking off - indeed very likely lethal.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Good Reminder Chris. Sorry to hear about your friend.
    I have left the key in the drill press chuck before but, luckily I usually operate my drill press at the slowest speed.
    Even at very slow speed they DO go flying.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Yes it does happen , my gunsmith nearly removed his right hand a couple of months ago with a lathe , much surgery later he is still in PT and unshure just how much he will eventualy regain use of it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    The chuck key on our drillpress at work is connected with a chain to the motor tower...I have always thought it was mainly to prevent loss of the key, but I'm now realizing that there is a better reason!

Sorry about your friend, Chris.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Happened to me at work about 15 years ago. Cut off the tip of my finger because it got hooked in the chain that the chuck key was hanging on. It started spinning and I noticed it and tried to grab it. Hand got wrapped in the chain and it just ripped the tip of my middle finger right off. Ever since we don't keep and chuck keys on chains. Sorry to hear about your friend.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

my drill press chuck key has a spring loaded tip on it so it can't stay in the chuck.

just a good, possilbe newer design but goes to show the danger of losing focus and vigilance. bad things happen to good people....sucks.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

why are my ears burning???? oops. sry about your friend, but I do what I do to.... well do it I guess.
    The answer to "the voice in the dark", GET DOWN NOW!!(see avatar).
    The goal of an argument should not be victory, but progress.
    The chain of command? Is a 3/8" chain that I beat you with till you realize I'M IN COMMAND.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Chris. I've always been fanatical about eye protection - you only got two - so take care of 'em.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    safety glasses are a must too. .

They weren't safety glasses, but just regular ones. When I was in Jr. High, I got shot right in the left lens with an arrow (cheap target arrow from cheap fiberglass bow). A friend was holding it pulled back holding the arrow instead of the string. It was hot and his finger was sweaty, results were obvious.

It hit right center in my eye on the lens. The lens popped out and the arrow slid of and poked my eye lid. I went inside to do some first-aid. I looked in the mirror and had a perfect 3/8 inch hole above my eyeball right through my eyelid. I put a wet rag on it and it close right up. A baby band-aid and I rode my bicycle home. My mom freaked out when I told her 2 hours later. I'd say that was probably the luckiest moment in my life, thus far.

I still have the pretty little half moon scar on my eyelid. People usually don't believe me when I say I was shot with an arrow.

(If that's not off subject, I don't know what is.)
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    My father used to always tell me when dealing with horses that "familiarity breeds contempt" meaning that just as soon as you think a horse won't hurt you you'll get hurt. He would tell me it didn't matter how long I had owned the horse or how often I had handled/ridden it, I could and would get hurt when I started thinking that I wouldn't.

He was right. I never was seriously injured, but I came very close too it on three instances with two of them being direct violations of the above rule.

Thankfully, I learned the lessen well and have applied it to firearms.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Lead Moderator
    In a word, ouch! Sorry to hear about your friend.

Safety glasses may have helped by spreading the force of the hit, assuming they were think enough to prevent penetration of the lens.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links