Gun Control Blogger Accused of Judge Threats

This is a discussion on Gun Control Blogger Accused of Judge Threats within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is why we have forum rules and courtesies. We all must be careful not to promote or condone illegal activity here on Defensive Carry. ...

Thread: Gun Control Blogger Accused of Judge Threats

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

Gun Control Blogger Accused of Judge Threats

This is why we have forum rules and courtesies. We all must be careful not to promote or condone illegal activity here on Defensive Carry.

Jury gets case of blogger accused of judge threats - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK – A New Jersey blogger crossed the line protecting free speech by writing that three federal judges in Chicago "must die" for a decision supporting gun control, a prosecutor said Friday, as the defense countered in closing arguments that giving a passionate opinion is not a crime.

"There is no right to threaten violence against people," said Assistant U.S. Attorney William Ridgway. The judges, he added, "received that threat just by virtue of doing their jobs."

Hal Turner, 47, of North Bergen, N.J., was charged earlier this year with threatening to assault or kill a federal judge. Defense attorney Nishay Sanan sought to portray him as a "shock jock" and fierce gun control opponent whose tirades were protected by the First Amendment.

"Giving your opinion is not a crime," he said in his closing argument. "To do it passionately is not a crime."

The lawyer also cited evidence that his client once was a paid FBI informant in investigations of neo-Nazis and white supremacist groups.

"What does he get from his country? Betrayal," he said.

The arguments came after only one day of testimony in federal court in Brooklyn, where the trial was moved based on a change-of-venue request. Prosecutors called three federal agents to describe Turner's fiery Web site entries; his attorneys opted not to call any witnesses.

After briefly deliberating Friday, jurors sent the judge a note saying they were deadlocked. He responded by urging them to keep trying to reach a unanimous verdict. They were to resume deliberations on Monday.

Turner's troubles began in June after the three judges with the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals — Richard Posner, Frank Easterbrook and William Bauer — upheld a district court ruling dismissing lawsuits challenging handgun bans in Chicago and Oak Park.

The same day, Turner blasted the decision with a lengthy Internet posting. In one passage, he quoted Thomas Jefferson as saying, "The tree of liberty must be replenished from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots," court papers said.

Authorities say he then went too far by writing: "Let me be the first to say this plainly: These judges must die. Their blood will replenish the tree of liberty."

Turner later posted the judges' photographs, telephone numbers and work addresses, along with maps of a federal building that pointed out truck bomb barriers, they say. He also referenced the 2005 slaying of the mother and husband of another federal judge in Chicago, they say.

"Apparently, the 7th U.S. Circuit didn't get the hint after those killings," authorities say he wrote. "It appears another lesson is needed."

In a separate case, Turner was charged with "inciting injury to persons" for urging blog readers to "take up arms" against Connecticut lawmakers who proposed legislation to give Roman Catholic lay members more control over parish finances.

If convicted of threatening the Illinois judges, Turner would face up to 10 years in prison.
    There is some nasty stuff in there. I wonder what the whole blog post looks like (to see if things are taken in context).

I pursue my goals through legal means and even if I don't agree with a law, I follow it.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

2. Remove Ads

The jurors are deadlock??? What part of "these judges must die" didn't they understand???

BTW, let's ban bloggers, they might be dangerous.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it almost looks like this clown could be an anti-gun freak, and is attempting to set us all up and portray pro-gunners in a negative light. It's been done in the past.

Sounds more like he's a white supremacist the FBI turned into an informant that is trying to incite people to kill judges and other public figures that don't follow his views
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Stupid is as stupid does.

Yeesh.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I'm with the theory of an Anti-gunner pretending to be pro 2A. It seems that everytime anyone wants to ban firearms, some "crisis" or "event" crops up and the Anti's are out in full fashion taking advantage of it. They make it sound so bad, that even those who like firearms can even "see" their point. Scary.

I know what the Pro 2A people are up to, it's the Anti's that worry me. To what extreme are they willing to go in order to get all firearms banned?
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; December 5th, 2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: add word
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Agreed, liberal ploy to bring shame to gun activists.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Regardless of who he supports, he's a bit on the 'loose cannon' side.
    Sounds like he needs a 'vacation' from society for a while.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    10 years and a felony conviction is a little hard to swallow for him to be an agitator.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links