National anthem - In Spanish?

This is a discussion on National anthem - In Spanish? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What do you think about our national anthem being sung in spanish, with some word changes? What can/should we do? Lets here your ideas....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: National anthem - In Spanish?

National anthem - In Spanish?

What do you think about our national anthem being sung in spanish, with some word changes? What can/should we do? Lets here your ideas.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

2. Remove Ads

Well...

My 1st gut reaction is one of anger & resentment. But if they're only singing it in spainish...I can live with that. I think, however, there's more to it than that.

I heard the song (last night) on a local (Phoenix) news station. It doesn't sound anything at all like our National Anthem. Let me put this question out to someone better informed than myself: Has this song been given the name it has just to grab some (more) headlines? And does this issue merit the attention that it's getting? I don't know...what do you think?

I'm not opposed to immigration. I'm the grandchild of immigrants. My great-grandparents came here leagally. My great-grandparents became Americans, flying only the American Flag over their homes. They came from Denmark, Ireland, Germany and, Mexico.

OK, since my soapbox hasn't collaped under my weight this morning, I'll ask this: What's going on in California? Why am I seeing pictures of Mexico's flag flying above the stars & stripes? I've seen photos from a high school in Whittier, Californina (a place I lived in & worked back right after the earth cooled) where kids inverted Old Glory, and flew her UNDER the Mexican Flag. Why weren't the responsible children punished?

OK, so my soapbox just broke in two...But, standing on "Terre Firma", I'm still concerned. And I still want to know what our schools are teaching (and tolerating) to & from our children.

Why should we change perfectly good, but rarley enforced immigration laws to accomodate a group of people who don't seem to respect existing American law?

Thanks,
    Kerry

"An armed Society is a polite society"

trust me on this. singing the star spangled banner in spanish is just the begining. we have to "be diverse".

i know where this leads, because i'm from miami.
    next'll be a vote to make english the "official language" of the u.s.

they had one of those votes in dade county, but it didn't do any good.

as one person put it recently... learn english, get legal, or GET OUT.

i couldn't agree more.

This is getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaay the heck outta hand folks.

No way will this be tolerated for much longer.

It's not about race or culture or immigration but about Treason, Sedition and Inssurection.

If something is not done we may end up like the former Yugoslavia in the near future.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I agree with craig45!!!! Most of the Hispanics that are illegal have no desire to become legal. I have visited with several over the past few years and unfortunately there is no incentive for them to do so. They are getting what they want now without any responsibility.

Senior Moderator
    I thinks its baloney.

Wanna live here ? Learn the language, the customs, the lifesytle.

Moving into a country and expecting everyone else to cater to you is impolite and it shows a total lack of respect.

Etheir do it right or dont do it at all...
    If you want to stay "Mexican" keep your third world azz in Mexico.

VIP Member
    I've never been concerned or angry enough about any issue (including some of the more ridiculous gun control legislation ) to actually sit down and write a letter to my elected "representatives"...that is going to change next week after the May 1st protests.

I'm going to remind Senator Salazar that he was elected to represent the citizens of this state...not citizens of another country. It's not a Republican/Democrat issue; it's an American issue
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Interestingly enough, over the storied history of American immigration, after the various waves of immigrants (Germans, Irish, Italians, English, Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese, and several hundred other "waves"), the new immigrants assimilated into the US culture. The assimilation took one or two or three generations, but it did occur. Many of the immigrants were very entrepreneural, successful, and strived to be seen as "Americans", and did so successfully.

I believe many of the "illegals" have done the same previously - but why now has the assimilation ceased or slowed? I don't see much effort being put into "becoming" American by some of these groups?

What's the real issue?

What's the real issue?

I don't know what the underlying issue is...the real issue. I don't understand the (what seems to be) arrogance of some of these illeagal immigrants.

I am more than a little intrigued by some of the rhetoric that I here from my neighbor to the west...I hear of political "activists", for lack of a better word, talking about taking California back...re-claiming what is rightfully their's...I admit it...I'm baffled....I'll try & find a couple the quotes I'm referring to, and post them...Maybe we can prove, or dis-prove the legitimacy of the quotes.

There was a line in a movie called "The American President"...It made reference to America's "Advanced Citizenship". What we really need is "Advanced Patriotism".

Many Thanks,
    Kerry

"An armed Society is a polite society"

Administrator
    O say, can you "Si" ,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    O say, can you "Si" ,
    Jose, can you Si...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

It's digusting.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Administrator
    Oh Sorry...I Stand Corrected...Jose.

You know this is just so pathetic that it's almost disgustingly humorous in a warped sort of way.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    Ok i feel like i can give you all a little insite in to california.
    we did vote some time back that all government items should be in english . and it is the law of the land that you have to speak the langauge to become a citizen.now here is whats going on inspite of the law( in the name of fairness said with sarcasem)and why i have moved way north in cali. all our paper work from the government and any info you get i.e. such as paper work from childrens schools ect.. comes in not only english like we voted for but it comes in
    spanish
    arabic
    mung
    vietlmease
    cambodian
    and now in some areas russian
    and a hand full of other langauge.
    while in the wounderfull city of losangeles i went in to my bank branch i noticed right away that all the placards and advrtisements in the bank along with the paper work for deposites ect were in spanish and only in spanish not only that when my turn came to go to the teller they had to find some one that spoke english to help me .
    my childrens scool enrolled my son in a bilenual class without my permission where the class was taught in both spanish and english spanish being the domanate one i promptly took him out up here where i live now only teaches in english.
    well the talk of mexico taking california back isnt just talk my freinds its a fact here

I doubt many of us are native americans, therefore we are decendents from somewhere else in the world. I am American Italian. (American 1st I was born here!!!) I am all for LEGAL immigration with a few rules atached.
    1. Learn the language 2.Respect our flag 3.Immigrate Legally 4.Learn our history 5.Pay taxes 6. DON'T BUTCHER OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links