Quality of clothing, Mens Wearhouse vs Jos A Banks?

This is a discussion on Quality of clothing, Mens Wearhouse vs Jos A Banks? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sorry if this has been discussed before, I could only find side related matter, like tailoring and customer service. I need some mighty input. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality of clothing, Mens Wearhouse vs Jos A Banks?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I could only find side related matter, like tailoring and customer service.
    I need some mighty input.

I want to know, who has the best quality clothing?
    It also might just be me, but I could not seem to find that Jos A. Banks had a rewards program equal to Mens Wearhous's "Perfect Fit" where you get $50 back for every $500 you spend. At Banks I could just find a Corporate card.

After browsing the net, it seems like Mens Wearhouse is known for pushy salesmen?!

But who has the best quality of their clothing?

Thanks.
    IDPA, USPSA, NRA & USCCA!

Either store sells menswear of the same quality. They get it from the same mfg's with different/proprietary labels is all.

You'll find pushy salespeople everywhere but, because menswear is so limited in where you can buy it and too few customers compared to general clothing, menswear stores tend to have these kinds of floor personnel.

I don't buy my suits based on "cash back" deals. If they're "giving" me cash back then they are making a profit on the items elsewhere in addition to the extra money that they'll "give back" to you after your purchase. In essence, they're charging an inflated price so that later they can kick back a small portion of the inflated price while keeping the rest. No thanks - I rather pay the regular price and skip the kick back ripoff.

For those who don't know, Lands End has some really nice OTR suits that usually beat the retail chain stores for both price and quality. However, nothing beats a custom job for looks, quality, and first impressions.

VIP Member
    I don't think you can generalize about quality when comparing these two. I'm a jeans man and rarely get a suit, but have bought from both. Sometimes one has a suit that I think looks better or fits better, sometimes the other.

For the most part I stay away from these places until my other half grabs me by the ear and marches me in screaming and pleading for mercy. At that point I try on what I'm told, say lots of yes maam's, and live to tell the story here.

I tend to lik ethe stuff a little better at Banks. Seems to be a little more "classic" in style and taste.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I personally like Jos A Banks. Not too bad if you buy on sale, but don't catalog shop, the prices are sky high in the catalog. But you can find good and bad quality at both places.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Either store sells menswear of the same quality. They get it from the same mfg's with different/proprietary labels is all.

You'll find pushy salespeople everywhere but, because menswear is so limited in where you can buy it and too few customers compared to general clothing, menswear stores tend to have these kinds of floor personnel.

I don't buy my suits based on "cash back" deals. If they're "giving" me cash back then they are making a profit on the items elsewhere in addition to the extra money that they'll "give back" to you after your purchase. In essence, they're charging an inflated price so that later they can kick back a small portion of the inflated price while keeping the rest. No thanks - I rather pay the regular price and skip the kick back ripoff.

For those who don't know, Lands End has some really nice OTR suits that usually beat the retail chain stores for both price and quality. However, nothing beats a custom job for looks, quality, and first impressions.
    Clothes are always a rip off. I had a girlfriend that was a Dillard's manager. She said the would buy something for nine dollars and sell it for 60. Of course there's other variables, but that's just crazy.

VIP Member

Clothes mark up; slightly off topic re: Scuba Duba

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDuba View Post
    Clothes are always a rip off. I had a girlfriend that was a Dillard's manager. She said the would buy something for nine dollars and sell it for 60. Of course there's other variables, but that's just crazy.
    That is why my wife is able to watch them go through their usual practice of marking something down 10%, then 25%, then 5o%, then run an add for an additional 25% off the marked down price. They still make money.

If you are looking for good prices, watch the pattern of mark down at this particular chain. My wife's diligence at this has saved us bundles.

(Of course if she stayed out of there we'd save even more.)

I believe that they are both about the same. Nice stuff for office wear. Now, I think that I get better deals for similar quality stuff buying from Paul Frederick.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Alot has been posted about MW being gun friendly. They tailor the suit to help the IWB. They can also line the inside of the coat to help with the rubbing.

Talking

In my prior life, I always found MW great. That was notwithstanding having spent many more dollars at high priced mens stores. Just pick real classic cuts of high quality wool and wool blends in classic fabrics, and have them well tailored. If you follow that rule, you'll always look great, and have a closet ful of timeless mens wear that always looks good.

Talk to the salesmen, and pick one you can relate with and be comfortable with. Tell them your needs, and what type of style, fabric and tailoring you're interested in. Generally avoid browns and greens in any tones.

Avoid trendy wear and fabrics, except for that one "splashy" suit for something special. I never had one of those. I'm too conservative. I avoided the monochromatic look and the GQ look - just a classic "Brooks Brother" look. Women love it. Being shorter, I generally went with a two-button rather than three, but that was more of a personal preference.

At times I had 15-20 suits in my closet, now I'm down to five or six, so I've spent a lot of money on nice mens clothing due to my profession.

Always have the suits dry-cleaned regularly, and never wear the same suit two days in a row - always give suits a two to three day rest at a minimum! Same for expensive leather shoes!

Have fun, and please pick your own ties with help from a salesman. I can pick out a "wife" selected tie at 500 yards.

Avoid camo pattern, and safety orange or green.

The MW in Plano Texas by the Tollway used to be very CC friendly - they were close to a lot of corporate HQ with the security groups.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Rock & glock said it all!

I'll just add you should shine your shoes often. Nothing ruins a good appearance quicker than shoddy looking shoes.

I happen to be 6'4" so I've had both 2 & 3 button suits for variety.

Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

os A Banks has better quality, IMO, but you will pay for it. If you can be patient they run pretty good sales from time to time, for example right now if you buy 1 suit you get 2 free.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Nothing ruins a good appearance quicker than shoddy looking shoes
    Several pairs needed to rotate and keep dry and a great spit polish! Scuffed and shoddy shoes were a big no-no for my subordinates. Instant death, or maybe just a sarcastic comment or two. Me offering to polish their shoes usually made my points..or when I told them the location of a shoe-shine.....Those suckers better look like mirrors!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

That's a problem I have is finding normal dressy shoes for men that don't look like they're church shoes...

Something like a classic loafer style is hard to find...

Men's Warehouse, for me at the store i go to, the salemen,(saleswomen) are pushy, but that might because they who i am and i dont like pushy people.....

i go to KG Store for shirts, it is owned by the men's warehouse just a discount type store for shirts suites, etc.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links