Archie Bunker on 2A

This is a discussion on Archie Bunker on 2A within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Everyone laughed at the time. But how much of what he says here isn't true? I never thought I'd say this, but Archie Bunker was ...

Thread: Archie Bunker on 2A

Archie Bunker on 2A

Everyone laughed at the time. But how much of what he says here isn't true? I never thought I'd say this, but Archie Bunker was way before his time.

YouTube - Archie Bunker Second Amendment
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The truth is there, but there is also a problem. I always felt that Archie was used to point out how "stupid" his conservative views were. You notice that eyebrow lift on Rob Riener? That is exact the same look we all get when talking about guns and self-defense in mixed company. (By mixed, I mean pro and anti.) The fact that he is being laughed at by the audience shows how silly his ideas were viewed.

Just my $0.02. Thanks for sharing.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Rob Riener hasn't changed...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No he hasnt.
    ~steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    The truth is there, but there is also a problem. I always felt that Archie was used to point out how "stupid" his conservative views were. You notice that eyebrow lift on Rob Riener? That is exact the same look we all get when talking about guns and self-defense in mixed company. (By mixed, I mean pro and anti.) The fact that he is being laughed at by the audience shows how silly his ideas were viewed.

Just my $0.02. Thanks for sharing.
    I find it funny too though on an epsiode Archie basically humiliates the meathead into quitting school to get a job to support his wife instead of mooching off of Archie and Edith. He was portrayed as being an insensitive father but you also notice Michael's tone changes when he moves out and has a tougher time making ends meet. I thought the show did as good a job mocking the younger generation's values as it did Archie's.
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Yep. He's still a meathead.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

All In The Family was a 1970s Sitcom that basically used Archie, with his exaggerated conservative views as a somewhat lovable buffoon. His views as shown in this clip may be correct enough to us but in the 1970s were calculated to show Archie as a comical fool.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    All In The Family was a 1970s Sitcom that basically used Archie, with his exaggerated conservative views as a somewhat lovable buffoon. His views as shown in this clip may be correct enough to us but in the 1970s were calculated to show Archie as a comical fool.
    That's exactly what I saw too.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I remember that episode. I thought Archie was a fool as well. Now that I am 35plus years older, he was pretty much on the money. Funny how we all change as the years pass.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

All in the Family is one of my alltime favorites!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

YEP!!^^^^^^^^^^

I loved archie!

If you want to make a resolution for the coming century, resolve to do something in defense of liberty every day, and by liberty, of course, we mean true liberty - the right to keep and bear arms. Without that liberty all other liberties are meaningless."
    Col. Jeff Cooper
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links