Conversation with My Boss

This is a discussion on Conversation with My Boss within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, I had a long conversation with my boss yesterday and was very surprised at his point of view. I was talking to a coworker ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conversation with My Boss

Ok, I had a long conversation with my boss yesterday and was very surprised at his point of view. I was talking to a coworker about safety at home and when I am out and about and I mentioned that I do not allow my daughter (she is five) to answer the door to anybody, not even me.

Thatís when my boss jumped into the conversation. The first thing he asked me is what I am scared of. I then told him that it wasnít fear but rather trying to be prepared for the worst and to keep her safe. He then asked me if she has ever been kidnapped or if I have ever been burglarized. I told him no but you never no what is going to happen on any given day.

To make a long (very long) story short the fact that he thought I was paranoid and fearful actually made me upset. This guy has kids and I would hope that he would use more caution then what he does.

Some people just don't get it.

I think you are wise and prudent in trying to protect your family and home.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Bummer. 'Just for a sanity check, your boss is naive.

Front-door home invasion is my biggest safety concern.

VIP Member
    I have had this kind of conversation with people before, as have most of us. The thing that gets people is that some of us come off SOUNDING paranoid. I usually try to inject a "well you just never know" kind of statement in the conversation. Also, I certainly try not to belittle the other person for feeling safe and cozy in their world-view. That is a sure road to and argument.

Lead by example was what I was taught as a kid. That is the way I try to educate others. Remember, you can't change some one else's mind for them. Only they can do that.

Good luck
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I have had this kind of conversation with people before, as have most of us. The thing that gets people is that some of us come off SOUNDING paranoid. I usually try to inject a "well you just never know" kind of statement in the conversation. Also, I certainly try not to belittle the other person for feeling safe and cozy in their world-view. That is a sure road to and argument.
    Great comment, RoadRunner. This philosophy is also why I love cc. Nobody knows that I carry, and I never talk about it, so it's never an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Some people just don't get it.

I think you are wise and prudent in trying to protect your family and home.
    I agree, some people don't get, they believe just because nothing has ever happened to them, that it never will happen to them. I had this conversation with my wife as we were preparing to go to Fla for thanksgiving with her folks. Being a SC resident I can't carry in Georgia and was relaying this to her and she said who cares, you don't need to bring a gun, nothing has ever happened to me in 44 years and so on. I tried to make her understand that bad stuff happens to good people everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Front-door home invasion is my biggest safety concern.
    I researched and wrote a paper on Home Invasions recently, and front door access, (whether by force or on a ruse) or forcing their way in along with an incoming family member (common MO is when garage is open and house is being entered) is the most common actual 'Home Invasion'. Excepting of course B & E while someone happens to be home, which is a Home Invasion Robbery.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Wow. How naive. I suppose by his logic if he's never been in an accident, he never will either?
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post

Lead by example was what I was taught as a kid. That is the way I try to educate others. Remember, you can't change some one else's mind for them. Only they can do that.

Good luck
    RoadRunner says it best!

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Wow. How naive. I suppose by his logic if he's never been in an accident, he never will either?
    We had that conversation to. He said that he has been in an accident so the chances of it happening again were slim to none. I just couldnít believe it.

Hopefully his eyes will be opened before something actually happens to one of his family members. I am amazed at how many choose to walk through life with a false sense of security and completely ignore the reality of life today. How sad, actually.
    "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice; ammo is cheap, life is expensive."

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    My thought. Ridiculing self defense is a practice with some because of their politics. Self reliant people do not want expanded government. Therefore, openly self reliant people are threats to those who do want large government. Maybe, what you really had with your boss was a political discussion.

This brings up the question of why anyone has (car, home, liability, health, life, etc.) insurance. If you've never had a claim, why carry insurance? Well, REAL insurance isn't just a policy from some banking institution. Real insurance includes behaving in such a way to minimize your own exposure and risk against events you don't want to experience. That's why we lock our doors, never flash wads of cash in red light districts, and don't pick up hitchhikers. Some behaviors are simply asking for trouble.

VIP Member
    "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you."

and the corollary:

"Just because you haven't seen them, doesn't mean they are not out there."

Hasn't the fool ever heard the Boy Scout motto, "Be prepared"?
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmend View Post
    We had that conversation to. He said that he has been in an accident so the chances of it happening again were slim to none. I just couldnít believe it.

forward your Gated community living boss this thread, and tell him this stuff is going on ALL over the country

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ted-break.html

And also give him this link to this site as well,

The Armed Citizen

If he does'nt get it after this, your wasting your time,
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links