State paying to cover accused murders tattoos

This is a discussion on State paying to cover accused murders tattoos within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Fla. neo-Nazi in murder trial gets tattoo makeover for trial _ at cost of up to $150 per day NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. (AP) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State paying to cover accused murders tattoos

VIP Member

State paying to cover accused murders tattoos

Fla. neo-Nazi in murder trial gets tattoo makeover for trial _ at cost of up to $150 per day

NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. (AP) John Allen Ditullio is a walking billboard for the neo-Nazi movement: a large 6-inch swastika tattooed under his right ear, barbed wire inked down the right side of his face, and an extreme and very personal vulgarity scrawled on one side of his neck.

Jurors will never see any of it. A judge has ruled that the state must pay a cosmetologist up to $150 a day during Ditullio's trial on murder and attempted murder charges and apply makeup to cover up the black ink.

Judge Michael Andrews, acting on a request by Ditullio's lawyer, ruled that the tattoos are potentially offensive and could influence a jury's opinion in the state's death penalty case against the 23-year-old accused of donning a gas mask, breaking into a neighbor's home and stabbing two people, killing one of them.

Since his arrest in the March 26, 2006, crime in this suburban county just north of Tampa, the self-described neo-Nazi has added tattoos to his body that are prominently displayed and not easily concealed. Ditullio doesn't have the money to pay to have the tattoos covered up, said his public defender, Bjorn Brunvand, who was worried that a jury might be biased against his client on the basis of the tattoos alone.

"Whenever someone is facing the death penalty, they should get a fair trial," Brunvand said. "The jury can judge this case on the facts and the law and not base their decision on being offended."

Any tattoos Ditullio had before his arrest won't be covered, such as a small cross under his right eye. Earlier this week, he wore a neatly pressed blue shirt and gray slacks yet several tattoos on his hands and wrists were still visible.
    As Paul Harvey would say "Here's the rest of the Story" EarthLink - U.S. News

Having the seen mug shots of criminals in the news I does amaze me how well some clean up during their trial.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'll remove them for free!.........With a belt sander............
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

They should not cover them up. He got them in places that everyone can see.

Lead Moderator
    There are SO many ways those tats could be removed ... Permanently!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    It was his choice to get obviously offensive tats in prominent places, he should have to live with the consequences. Especially if the consequence is the death penalty.

EDIT:

The more I think about it, the more it bothers me that tax payers are paying for this scum. His attorney is the only one who really wants them covered, let him pay if someone HAS to pay to get them covered.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

toss him a box of big band aids and tell him to stop sniveling about his poor life choices

Quote Originally Posted by abjz71 View Post
    toss him a box of big band aids and tell him to stop sniveling about his poor life choices
    Great idea . . . but make his lawyer pay for the band aids.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I read about this earlier today. I thought that the proudly wore these were everyone could see them, know who and what he was, and be offended by them. He didn't care then that he had them or offended anyone. Live with your poor choices I say.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Live with your poor choices I say.
    Die by them as well.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Maybe the state will get to cover them with six feet of dirt.

Isn't that violating his first amendment rights,I say why keep him from advertising his true nature,if he was so concerned about what other people might think then he mighta not made his Tats so obvious
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Blow torch and pliers.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Maybe the state will get to cover them with six feet of dirt.
    tiwee, You are a genius.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Administrator
    Tattoo removal is expensive.

In this instance...he should be stuck with them.

However...there IS a flip side to this topic.

There are former gang members who are incarcerated and really do want to get out and away from their former gang affiliations and they do want to finally fly straight and get gainful employment in order to start over fresh.

They cannot get hired anyplace with highly visible old gang tattoos and so then...I think it is worth it to foot the bill for having the ones on hands, arms, and face removed.

They (for sure) would not want to have them taken off if their intention was to get out of prison and rejoin the gang.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Cut Peal Repeat as needed
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links