Posted by Diesel 007 on CS - Why Switzerland Has The Lowest Crime

This is a discussion on Posted by Diesel 007 on CS - Why Switzerland Has The Lowest Crime within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I found this very thought provoking and is one of the main reasons why I am fully armed. LiveLeak.com - Why Switzerland Has The Lowest ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I found this very thought provoking and is one of the main reasons why I am fully armed.

LiveLeak.com - Why Switzerland Has The Lowest Crime Rate In The World
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Great video, people should learn from them.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Wow

Great Post. I really enjoyed the video.

Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I found this very thought provoking and is one of the main reasons why I am fully armed.

LiveLeak.com - Why Switzerland Has The Lowest Crime Rate In The World
    I believe the reason is a different mind set that does not look to violence to solve problems. I am not sure, but I suspect there are few if any slums there.

I spent two years in Iceland. While they do some bird hunting, I am not sure what the handgun laws are.
    But because of a different culture, and different mindset there was almost no crime. Before we were able to move on the base the man collecting utility bills just walked around with a large over the shoulder bag like a postman used to do here. He just dropped the money in the bag and continued on his way. No one ever attempted to rob him, and he was not armed.

A woman could walk down any street or alley in town day or night and not be afraid. If I remember correctly they only had jails, but no prison. There was one murder while I was there and it shocked the nation. It had not happened in many years.

Our problems stem from a lack of morals. So we do need guns, but I don't think the low crime rates in some countries are because everyone has a gun. In fact, I doubt that the Swiss carry a gun everywhere they go, and yet are not mugged as we are here in the USA.

Guns are not the answer to crime rates, but instead morals are the problem. Accordingly we need guns for protection.

Regards,
    Jerry

Good video. Makes ya think.
    I am for the mandatory service contract.
    Couldn't hurt anything as far as I can see.
    Did anyone notice the stickers inside the gun cabinet?
    Interesting.
    Must be some of their countrymen want to limit access to weaponry.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

More information on the Swiss initiative.
    Looks like they have the same troubles that we do.

http://www.protell.ch/cms/images/sto...n/8.1.002e.pdf
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Very wise man.

"The key to freedom is the ability to be able to defend yourself, and if you don't have the tools to do that, then you are at the mercy of whoever wants to put you away.....and the tools for that are guns."
    Proud NRA & MCRGO Member

"The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight....I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic bomb instead."

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    A National "Take Yer Kids To The Shooting Range" Day...?

And the government springs for the ammo...???

Sign me up... Anybody think President Obama will discover this from Swiss delegates at Copenhagen and institute it here in the USA...?

Maybe not... but a man can dream...

"Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

A different mind set, yes. But think about it, almost everyone serves, they feel close to each other because they all go through the same training, everyone has a full-automatic weapon at home (some have more than one). And they are a much smaller country, which helps play a role in less crime.

How do I know this? My friends Patrik and Andrea are Swiss, they are working at my job (Swiss based company), and this is what they tell me. They are also very pro-gun, and really love America and some of our gun laws.

And they can buy, yes, buy their issue weapons very-very cheap!!!

They cannot carry handguns concealed, but when u can carry around your issue weapon, well, think about it.

Yes they do have crime and sometimes people go "postal"!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

VIP Member
    Good video, I've passed it on to others. Thanks for posting it.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Good video and good idea, could it work here. Not a chance.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

mi2az,

Thanks for posting the video. I think it would be great if we did that in this country. Once a year peeps come out to shoot and the ammo is provided by the govt hehe.

Anyways, point of the video was that they are armed to secure their freedom. Good stuff!
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I believe the reason is a different mind set that does not look to violence to solve problems. I am not sure, but I suspect there are few if any slums there.

I spent two years in Iceland. While they do some bird hunting, I am not sure what the handgun laws are.
    But because of a different culture, and different mindset there was almost no crime. Before we were able to move on the base the man collecting utility bills just walked around with a large over the shoulder bag like a postman used to do here. He just dropped the money in the bag and continued on his way. No one ever attempted to rob him, and he was not armed.

A woman could walk down any street or alley in town day or night and not be afraid. If I remember correctly they only had jails, but no prison. There was one murder while I was there and it shocked the nation. It had not happened in many years.

Our problems stem from a lack of morals. So we do need guns, but I don't think the low crime rates in some countries are because everyone has a gun. In fact, I doubt that the Swiss carry a gun everywhere they go, and yet are not mugged as we are here in the USA.

Guns are not the answer to crime rates, but instead morals are the problem. Accordingly we need guns for protection.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Everyone ought to read this post.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

VIP Member
    The Swiis militia system is soemthing we should have looked at a long time ago IMO, really intrigues me. I understand though that the international community is after their gun rights as they are after ours through treaties.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Before we were able to move on the base the man collecting utility bills just walked around with a large over the shoulder bag like a postman used to do here. He just dropped the money in the bag and continued on his way. No one ever attempted to rob him, and he was not armed.

Jerry
    That reminds me of the bag men that carry Mafia numbers money in the worst parts of NYC. They are never robbed. Because if they were, the robber and their families, and their dog would be killed. Don't tell me the death penalty is not a deterrent.
    Yes, lack of morals is the problem. Places like Switzerland and Iceland have a homogeneous population. There is not a lot of "diversity". Thus not a reason to rob your neighbor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links