CT town bans yellow ribbons

This is a discussion on CT town bans yellow ribbons within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For the past six years several military mothers here and their supporters have decorated the trees on the town green with yellow ribbons to express ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: CT town bans yellow ribbons

  1. #1
    Member Array Random's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clayton NC
    Posts
    399

    CT town bans yellow ribbons

    For the past six years several military mothers here and their supporters have decorated the trees on the town green with yellow ribbons to express their support for local residents who serve in Afghanistan and Iraq.

    But on Tuesday the Borough of Litchfield's governing body, the board of warden and burgesses, voted to prohibit expression that involves ribbons on trees, and that has thrown this attractive tourist mecca in Litchfield County into an uproar.
    Full Article: Borough Of Litchfield Board: Get Those Yellow Ribbons Off Our Town Green Trees

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,510
    I live in CT, and I couldn't be more disgusted by this.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

    - Thomas Jefferson

    "I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

    "Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array Chevy-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    926
    Yes, it's a worthy cause. We all support the troops. But the ribbons are being placed on public property, so I can understand the concern. What do you do when the next group (perhaps with a much less worthy cause) wants to hang some placards/ribbons/whatever on the public square? If it's the public square, then whatever is displayed there should be sanctioned by the Town.

    IMO, the reasonable course of action would be for the Town to officially sanction the ribbons and appoint the women to the "ribbon committee", then it would all be legit and 100% politically correct.

    -
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Yes, it's a worthy cause. We all support the troops. But the ribbons are being placed on public property, so I can understand the concern. What do you do when the next group (perhaps with a much less worthy cause) wants to hang some placards/ribbons/whatever on the public square? If it's the public square, then whatever is displayed there should be sanctioned by the Town.

    IMO, the reasonable course of action would be for the Town to officially sanction the ribbons and appoint the women to the "ribbon committee", then it would all be legit and 100% politically correct.

    -
    I agree 100%. Decorate your home with all of the yellow ribbons you want. Get permission before you do it on public property.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Arid Zone A
    Posts
    1,561
    Public property and citizens expressing an opinion by putting ribbons on trees. Hey, that sounds like something that is protected. I know I learned it in school. What was it called again? Oh yeah, the Bill of Rights First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America.

    And the next group that is expressing some opinion we don't like is still protected speech. That's the whole point.

  7. #6
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,546
    Legality aside, and emotional aspects aside, CT townships have tons of local power; but also lots of participatory democracy for those who want to go to town meetings. Look up "The Grange."

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array obxned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    OBX, NC
    Posts
    2,655
    If I lived there, I would buy yellow ribbon in bulk and be very, very busy at night.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

  9. #8
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,358
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Hey, that sounds like something that is protected. I know I learned it in school. What was it called again? Oh yeah, the Bill of Rights First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America.
    Speech is protected. Not leaving ribbons on trees. Don't believe me? How about gangland tagging on public buildings? Are taggers protected under the first amendment? For the record I'm a veteran. I love seeing yellow ribbons on trees but IMO a good cause doesn't make something right.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

  10. #9
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,510
    So atc,

    The Supreme Court has ruled that pornographic magazines are a form of speech, and as such, are protected under the first amendment. How are these ribbons any different?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

    - Thomas Jefferson

    "I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

    "Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

  11. #10
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,358
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    So atc,

    The Supreme Court has ruled that pornographic magazines are a form of speech, and as such, are protected under the first amendment. How are these ribbons any different?
    The first amendment protects freedom of speech and freedom of the press. Not displays of this kind because they are on public property. Painting pornography on the side of a courthouse would get you into trouble right? Same thing here with the yellow ribbons.

    Your example is not really comparing apples to apples. Printing pictures of yellow ribbons on trees in a magazine would be protected by the first amendment and would be a better comparison to your pornography example.

    ETA: Again, for the record, I like yellow ribbons. I'm just pointing out the legality of the situation.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,231
    Anyone got a lead on a lot of Yellow Ribbons?
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

    Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

  13. #12
    Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Speech is protected. Not leaving ribbons on trees. Don't believe me? How about gangland tagging on public buildings? Are taggers protected under the first amendment? For the record I'm a veteran. I love seeing yellow ribbons on trees but IMO a good cause doesn't make something right.
    I'm with you on this one.
    -Ryan

    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array Rob P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the sticks
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The first amendment protects freedom of speech and freedom of the press. Not displays of this kind because they are on public property. Painting pornography on the side of a courthouse would get you into trouble right? Same thing here with the yellow ribbons.

    Your example is not really comparing apples to apples. Printing pictures of yellow ribbons on trees in a magazine would be protected by the first amendment and would be a better comparison to your pornography example.

    ETA: Again, for the record, I like yellow ribbons. I'm just pointing out the legality of the situation.
    Actually, you're wrong. The First Amendment DOES protect these activities because they are a form of speech. Therefore you cannot be prosecuted or banned from hanging yellow ribbons from trees (or painting gang slogans on the wall of the city hall). However, when your speech is finished and you leave you have to take your speech with you.

    Which means that you have to remove your yellow ribbons from the tree (or remove your "artwork" from the building wall) or be cited for littering or graffiti.

    The CT law goes too far because it bans the speech before it occurs.

  15. #14
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Actually, you're wrong. The First Amendment DOES protect these activities because they are a form of speech. Therefore you cannot be prosecuted or banned from hanging yellow ribbons from trees (or painting gang slogans on the wall of the city hall). However, when your speech is finished and you leave you have to take your speech with you.

    Which means that you have to remove your yellow ribbons from the tree (or remove your "artwork" from the building wall) or be cited for littering or graffiti.

    The CT law goes too far because it bans the speech before it occurs.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

  16. #15
    VIP Member
    Array ccman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    2,020
    I live 25 minutes south of Litchfield. When I drive thru there it make's me think of the people defending us. I will miss these ribbons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Wife out of town+Gunshow in town
    By TomEgun in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: May 6th, 2010, 07:16 AM
  2. Does anyone use the Yellow Pages any more?
    By ExactlyMyPoint in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: August 30th, 2009, 01:27 PM
  3. Military members, need medals/ribbons replaced??
    By SSgt USMC in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: April 30th, 2009, 08:54 AM
  4. Yellow to Red in a blink
    By bullseye in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 18th, 2006, 06:09 AM
  5. Stretching the yellow!
    By P95Carry in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 20th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Search tags for this page

buy yellow ribbons for trees
,

where to buy yellow ribbons for trees

,
yellow military ribbon for trees
Click on a term to search for related topics.