Free Computer Newsletter

This is a discussion on Free Computer Newsletter within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since George posted about Opera and got the computer info flowing I decided to post this. For the past 5 or 6 years I have ...

Thread: Free Computer Newsletter

VIP Member

Free Computer Newsletter

Since George posted about Opera and got the computer info flowing I decided to post this. For the past 5 or 6 years I have been receiving a free computer newsletter that is for me the best thing since John Moses Browing created the M1911 . Since everyone on the forum is a computer user it follows that everyone on the forum has need of good computer input. This particular newsletter is not for nerds only. It is written on a level that most computer users and experts can get something from it. The newsletter called the LangaList is sent out about 72 times a year by Fred Langa. Some of the old computer hands may remember Fred from Windows Magazine.

I have come to trust Fred's judgement on computer software, hardware and setup over the time I have been reading the newsletter. I don't always agree with him, but I have to respect his position. I would venture to say that I would spend 50% more time solving computer problems on my own equipment if I had to do it without Fred's input. All of the old articles are available on his website.

The free newsletter is sponsored through ads. The ads are not intrusive and Fred always gives a disclaimer if he recommends something for one of this sponsors. He also has a paid newsletter that does not have the ads plus has 3 or 4 additional entries each issue.

I have no connection with Fred or his newsletter. If I sent each of you a sample issue I would be elgible to receive a subscription to the paid version. But since I don't know all the email addresses I am not even elgible for that. I just find the newletter useful and thought that many of you might find it useful as well. Go to the site and see what you think.

http://www.langa.com/
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Good site.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Fred Langa... There's a name I haven't heard in a while.

Just a quick look at the site, I see he's still a confirmed 'windows only' guy. I'm not... I gave up on windows years ago, so I probably wouldn't be interested in his articles any more.

Still, for the windows users here who aren't real tech-savvy, I'm sure he has some good tips!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

well no mac no good for me but thanks anyways i know some people i can pass it along to

VIP Member
    Right, no Mac stuff from Langa. He does consistently provide some info for Linux though, especially the versions that can be run from a single disk or from USB flash drives.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    Wow George - I took the list for near years and then for some reason it disappeared and I had forgotten about it. I still have a boatload of his stuff archived tho now of course it's way outa date.

Glad you brought this up, thx - I will check into it again
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'll have to check it out.
    I normally work in IT and build high end PC's on the side so maybe I'll learn something new.
    Personally I use most OS. I haven't tried BSD yet but the latest Mac OS is based on it and I've heard that BSD is better than Linux, I use Gentoo, Suse, and Red Hat along with the Windows XP 64 and 1 Mac (Tiger).
    Windows is used by most people so I like to stay up to date on it.

Links