A Rant

This is a discussion on A Rant within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The 'magazine' vs. 'clip' discussion has been done many times. However, I have a couple pet peeves regarding words hitherto undiscussed. "1911" Not everything based ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Rant

A Rant

The 'magazine' vs. 'clip' discussion has been done many times.

However, I have a couple pet peeves regarding words hitherto undiscussed.

"1911" Not everything based on the John M. Browning falling link design is a '1911'. Properly, the term M1911 only applies to U. S. Government issued sidearms adopted for use in the year 1911. They are all .45 ACP caliber and they ALL say "U. S. Government Property" (or similar phrase) on the right side of the frame near the serial number. When the pistol was altered in 1924, the official model number changed to M1911A1. The same pistol, made by Colt for commercial sale, is the "Government Model". The same design has been licensed for manufacture and since the patents have expired, been copied all over the world. Still, an 'M1911' is a U. S. Government issued sidearm and the Colt made commercial version is the Government Model.

Other pistols made on the same design have their own names and designations.

One of the variants of the Colt Government Model is the Commander. Originally (1949, I believe) the Commander was an alloy frame pistol with the barrel and slide shortened .75 inches. It was originally designed and engineered as a possible replacement for the M1911A1 of the government. The caliber was to be 9x19. The Armed Forces decided to stay with the M1911A1 as they didn't have to spend any more money and there were vast stockpiles of .45 ACP hardball ammo. (No longer, sadly...)

The Commander was then finished with a deep blue finish and offered for sale to the public. It was available in .45 ACP, 9x19 and Super .38 Auto. In the 1960s, a number of gunsmiths (Armand Swenson comes immediately to mind) who made cut down versions of the Government Model. They were about the size of the Commander (give or take) but had a steel frame. This did several things; it dampened recoil compared to the Commander, it was theoretically more durable for competition use, and the steel frame 'balanced' better in the hands of many shooters. Not being completely ignorant, Colt began marketing the Combat Commander in 1970. The standard Commander was renamed 'Lightweight Commander' sometime later to quell the confusion over what was a Commander and what was a Combat Commander. (Wiki says that all happened at once; that's not how I remember the events.)

All the revolvers made by Smith & Wesson in what is now known as the 'K' frame size and chambered for .38 Special and have fixed sights are not all Model 10 revolvers. Prior to the numbering system initiated in the middle '50s that revolver was known as the "Military & Police .38 Special". Originally, the Model 19 was called the "Combat Magnum" and what became the Model 27 was simply the ".357 Magnum".

There are other things, like the difference between a Colt Single Action Army and a Colt Frontier Six-Shooter. I suppose none of this is Earth shatteringly important. I just get frustrated at times when people seem not to know - or care if they know - about what they discuss.

Carry on. Or off, as the case may be.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Peeves are hard to keep as pets. They take up a lot of time, need to be fed and watered constantly, and changing them is usually a long boring messy and smelly task.

That's why I set this one free.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    It pretty much the same thing with lots of things, like Plexiglas which is a brand name, although many similiar products are known as Plexiglas when it really isnt produced by Plexglas.

Or Kleenex, whic his another brand name, yet most people equate any kind of tissue papper as Kleenex.

Another famous misuse is "Velcro" which most people use for any hook and loop type fastener.

We could go on for quite along time worring about trivial details, and the most we'll get out of it is high blood pressure worring about things that we cant change.

When someone gets it right, it says several things about them. They either know what they are talking about, or they are so nitpicky about things that they aren't fun to be around or may be they have a compulsive disorder that is accompanied with high blood pressure.

I do understand where you are coming from though. You can often tell the level of a persons knowledge by the manner in which they speak ,like someone so called gun nut calling a magazine a "clip" or saying .45 Long Colt when it should be .45 Colt.

And the list goes on....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    My gun-related pet peeve...? Any television journalist that uses the term "semi-automatic", regardless of the story he or she is reporting on... it invariably sounds rehearsed and delivered for effect, if not irrelevant to the story or blatantly incorrect in its' usage.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I guess mine is the timeless magazine/clip one.

I'm not sure why, I think I feel like if you are going to own an auto loader, you should at least know what you are inserting into the thing.

Oh well, life goes on.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I guess mine is the timeless magazine/clip one.

I'm not sure why, I think I feel like if you are going to own an auto loader, you should at least know what you are inserting into the thing.

Oh well, life goes on.
    Tell Marlin Firearms. They call it a clip regarding their .22lr rifles.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I agree, though 1911 is shorter to type than Colt Government Model replica or shortened Colt Government Model replica.

Seriously, it isn't just the keyboard commandos, politicians or retailers. Most of our illustrious gun gurus (magazine writers and editors) make the same mistakes. Kinda makes you wonder.....
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I think it is a matter of recognizably. I couldn't tell you any of the names Kimber has assigned their 1911 style pistols, and I doubt anyone who doesn't own one knows either. If you say a Kimber 1911 though....everyone knows what you're talking about.

As far as I know, this also happened with the AR-15. The "AR" in the name came from Armalite's designation system. However, they sold the name, along with the rifle design to Colt. The only true AR-15 is made by Colt. Hell, I've got an Armalite and it has M15-A4 stamped on it. But whether you have a RRA, Armalite, Bushmaster or a Colt - everyone who sees the rifle is almost guaranteed to ask you: "Who made your AR?"

While not technically accurate, it is different than the whole clip/magazine issue. A clip and magazine are actually different things. The whole 1911 & AR thing is a matter of manufacturer brands. Whether made by Cold or Kimber, they are functionally the same weapon and you can even swap parts most of the time.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

pax
    Or Kleenex, whic his another brand name, yet most people equate any kind of tissue papper as Kleenex.
    I suppose that makes it utterly wrong of me to ask one of my kids to bring me a roll of kleenex when I sneeze.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Administrator
    I absolutely HATE IT when people call Q-TIPS - "Q-TIPS" when they are not actually Q-TIP brand.

THOSE ARE JUST COTTON SWABS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There....I feel better now!

pax
    QKS -- does that mean you've never xeroxed a copy for the boss, either??

Heh, come to think of it. What's your "tin foil hat" made out of? Aluminum, I betcha!

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

VIP Member
    It's called brand recognition. Marketing departments pay millions of dollars trying to get what Colt has with the 1911 (or Kleenex,Plexiglass,etc). When you think of a product, you think of their product first. That gives them a huge leg up in the market. There are thousands of "I'll only buy a Colt" folks out there.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I absolutely HATE IT when people call Q-TIPS - "Q-TIPS" when they are not actually Q-TIP brand.

THOSE ARE JUST COTTON SWABS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There....I feel better now!
    I hate how any cotton swabs that are not Q-Tip brand are too weak and flimsy to properly clean anything.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Administrator
    Why do people still......... "Take The Phone Off The Hook?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links