Mt Hood Climbers

Mt Hood Climbers

This is a discussion on Mt Hood Climbers within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm watching Fox's report on these three to climbers that are missing, and I have wonder about some things. Before I get into the meat ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mt Hood Climbers

Administrator

Mt Hood Climbers

I'm watching Fox's report on these three to climbers that are missing, and I have wonder about some things.
    Before I get into the meat of my rant, let me say this; I understand peoples desire to climb and challenge themselves vs nature. I certainly do hope the remaining two are found OK. I wouldnt mind climbing a mountain someday myself.

Here is my rant. Why is are we spending countless dollars to save three people who put themselves into a know dangerous situation? I know, I know... it sounds cold (no pun intended) but think about it. These three people had to have known there is a huge danger element with their activity. They choose to roll the dice and gamble with their lives for their own reasons. Why is the taxpayers job to go and find them? The search is no doubt in the millions of dollars. It's not like they are lost children or grandma wandered away from the old folks home.

If I take a boat out to the middle of the Atlantic, and jump off for the challenge of swimming back, I won't expect the Navy to come out and pick me up if I fail. Why is this different?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Perhaps you meant Mt. Hood... :-)

ETA--I am all for having people pay for their own rescue.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Perhaps you meant Mt. Hood... :-)
    LOL, yeah, I did. Fix it too. Thanks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Why is are we spending countless dollars to save three people who put themselves into a know dangerous situation?
    How about the people who are risking their own lives to save those of the climbers? Kin you say, "personal responsibility? I knew ya could!!"
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I think you ment Mount Hood

I agree to a point. Murphy's Law will ALWAYS apply and even the best training and planning dosn't always work out. There are enough people who will spend 'our' tax dollars to try to save anybody and/or most anything. Any Coast Guard member can attest to that........and the dummies who they've pulled outta the water.

I'd want to apply all resourses I could to find 'em if one of 'em were a friend or family member. At the same time, going hiking on Mount Hood in winter's onset is about as 'darwinistic' as you can get.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    How about the people who are risking their own lives to save those of the climbers? Kin you say, "personal responsibility? I knew ya could!!"
    Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for the rescue people risking their own lives for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post

I'd want to apply all resourses I could to find 'em if one of 'em were a friend or family member. At the same time, going hiking on Mount Hood in winter's onset is about as 'darwinistic' as you can get.
    Yeah, me too. I'll readily admit that... but at the same time, tax dollars can't stop Darwin. But at the same time, tax dollars certainly do seem to cause darwinism.
    "Just blame Sixto"

SIXTO, the people that are out there looking for the climbers get paid to do just that. The money they spend is money they get for doing their jobs. As a tax payer I for one do not see a problem with "search and rescue" trying to search for and rescue people lost on the Mt..

Look at it from another view, if I get on a plane knowing that something could go wrong and it crashes I would still want someone to come and find me.

I agree when it come to any extreme activity that the rescue operational expenses should be paid by the person or persons putting themselves in danger.
    The only problem lies with who determines what activities are to be included in the extreme activities category. Will the fire department say the parents are responsible when they rescue a child from the top of the Ferris wheel because of a ride malfunction?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmend View Post
    SIXTO, the people that are out there looking for the climbers get paid to do just that. The money they spend is money they get for doing their jobs. As a tax payer I for one do not see a problem with "search and rescue" trying to search for and rescue people lost on the Mt..

Look at it from another view, if I get on a plane knowing that something could go wrong and it crashes I would still want someone to come and find me.
    I know most of the rescue people are paid, I have no issues with that. They perform a dangerous and important role. I don't contest that at all.

And a plane crash or ferris wheel doesn't even compare with what we are talking about here. We might as well compare tea prices in China if we are going to play that game.
    "Just blame Sixto"

or they should need to have some type of insurance that will cover S&R costs in the event of an accident.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

VIP Member
    I guess this hints at a bigger issue in our society. Our society lacks accountability. I'll add my rant to SIXTOs: Why did we send Bill Clinton to N. Korea to negotiate the release of two women who snuck into a hostile nation on purpose? Why not just let them pay the fiddler for being stupid. How many tax dollars were spent flying a jumbo jet (pilots, gas, etc) to the other side of the world. How much did the security detail get paid. You get my point.

As to the Mt. Hood climbers see my signature.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I guess this hints at a bigger issue in our society. Our society lacks accountability. I'll add my rant to SIXTOs: Why did we send Bill Clinton to N. Korea to negotiate the release of two women who snuck into a hostile nation on purpose? Why not just let them pay the fiddler for being stupid. How many tax dollars were spent flying a jumbo jet (pilots, gas, etc) to the other side of the world. How much did the security detail get paid. You get my point.

As to the Mt. Hood climbers see my signature.
    I was thinking the same thing about the Iran hikers going on now... who woulda thought you are taking a lot of risk hiking along the Iranian border?
    "Just blame Sixto"

pax
    If I take a boat out to the middle of the Atlantic, and jump off for the challenge of swimming back, I won't expect the Navy to come out and pick me up if I fail. Why is this different?
    The Navy wouldn't. That's the job of the Coast Guard. And they put their own lives on the line every day to rescue people who should have known better.

Would you really rather live in a world where that's not the case? Think long & hard before you answer...

On a somewhat-related note, I'd appreciate prayers for the friend of a friend of mine. He's a wonderful young man and his life is in peril right now. He might even already be dead, although his family and everyone who loves him is praying that he is still alive and will be coming home for Christmas. He's with another person, whom I haven't met, but her life is in danger too. Please pray for their safety and survival.

pax,

Kathy
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

""I agree when it come to any extreme activity that the rescue operational expenses should be paid by the person or persons putting themselves in danger.
    The only problem lies with who determines what activities are to be included in the extreme activities category."" Rott

True.. Should skateboarders have to pay for their injuries or should it be paid by the rest of rest of us who pay for insurance...

Following figures from:
    Economic Impact of Skateboard Injuries.

50,000 Injuries last year---$3,200 average medical bill
    $160,000,000.00 in medical bills.

What sports to draw the line on???
    bosco

pax
    bosco,

Go down that road, and unpopular sports (like shooting) will be the first to go.

Hmmm, speaking of "going down that road," there was a car crash across the street last night. Some darnfool driving too fast for conditions flipped her car into a field. She'll be okay, I think, though the last darnfool doing the same thing in the same conditions took a Lifeflight out of here. Spendy stuff. Nobody else should have to pay for that kind of stupidity.

Hummmmmm... also, a house in our community burned down last week. Poor family, lots of kids. But they were stupid. Nobody with any brains leaves candles burning unattended. Gosh, I hope my tax dollars didn't pay to put their house fire out and save the children's lives. That would be terrible. And if there were volunteer firefighters on scene? Even worse! People will just be more irresponsible if we send rescuers to save them after they've done something stupid!

Hmmmmm....

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links