Does Your Wife Know?

Does Your Wife Know?

This is a discussion on Does Your Wife Know? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Okay....I've been officially cut off from any more gun purchases for awhile. Wife and I are on strict budget and I can live with that ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Your Wife Know?

Does Your Wife Know?

Okay....I've been officially cut off from any more gun purchases for awhile.
    Wife and I are on strict budget and I can live with that for now....

But it made me think, How many of you out there are really telling your wife or signifigant other what you are really buying?

A. Is it your little secret?

B. It's my money, I can do what I want with it?

C. That's what credit cards are for?

D. Buy now worry about it later? (can be combined with C)

Thought it would be fun to hear how others out there are managing their gun purchases.....

Merry Christmas Everyone and Have a Healthy and Happy New Year!
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Am on gun restriction.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I don't want to make my wife angry, having a 'home divided' is not very much fun...so I don't always tell her.
    I'm in my 60's, married for 38 years...I'm not worried about it.
    Another reason for Glocks, they all look the same.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    We lost a ton when I accepted a transfer in the middle of the housing bubble bust. We lost everything we had in our old house plus we paid thousands more at closing when we sold it. My wife is a hard core trooper and when we had to tighten up we tightened up as a team. The good part is that I have a solid job and we were able to keep afloat (barely). Now we just have to dig out of our hole.

I used to spend without telling her and it was no big deal. Now I tell her ahead of time and we prioritize big purchases. We usualy take turns as well (if I get a gun she gets new curtains next..etc). I have really been wanting an AR for about a year and a half, but I promised her last spring that I would wait for this years tax return. I have kept my word despite seeing some great deals come and go. I think that if you and the wife are on a budget you should stick to that budget. They will keep making guns and you can buy plenty of them later.
    Last edited by atctimmy; December 16th, 2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    A. Sort of. I don't tell a lot of people just what I have or just bought. I grew up being taught that guns are just not something to boast about. I don't go out of my way or even try to hide them from my wife, but I don't exactly run my mouth either.

B. Yup. But of course, responsibility as a husband and father come first.

C. I never purchase anything on a credit card unless I have to for some reason, especially 'extras'.

D. Sort of, see A.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    We lost a ton when I accepted a transfer in the middle of the housing bubble bust. We lost everything we had in our old house plus we paid thousands more at closing when we sold it. My wife is a hard core trooper and when we had to tighten up we tightened up as a team. The good part is that I have a solid job and we were able to keep afloat (barely). Now we just have to dig out of our hole.

I used to spend without telling her and it was no big deal. Now I tell her ahead of time and we proritize big purchases. We usualy take turns as well (if I get a gun she gets new curtains next..etc). I have really been wanting an AR for about a year and a half, but I promised her last spring that I would wait for this years tax return. I have kept my word despite seeing some great deals come and go. I think that if you and the wife are on a budget you should stick to that budget. They will keep making guns and you can buy plenty of them later.
    Good Advice!
    I am totally commited to a family budget. It will help us be debt free in four years.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

I just knew you were going to ask if my wife knew about my infatuation with Kate Beckinsale.......lol

She does know about my guns though.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A. Sort of. I don't tell a lot of people just what I have or just bought. I grew up being taught that guns are just not something to boast about. I don't go out of my way or even try to hide them from my wife, but I don't exactly run my mouth either.

B. Yup. But of course, responsibility as a husband and father come first.

C. I never purchase anything on a credit card unless I have to for some reason, especially 'extras'.

D. Sort of, see A.
    Be truthful - You have omitted the most logical option:

SHE: When did you get that new gun?

HE: Oh that, I have had it for a few years. I thought you knew.

===============

HE: When did you get that new dress?

SHE: New? Why I have had it forever.

===============

THEY: [It is a little game that spouses play].
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Administrator
    HA! I tried that once, it didnt work. About 8 years ago, I traded in my little worn out Ranger pick up on a new Mustang GT. A few days later, I brought it home after work late one night, and pulled into the garage.

She says, "Your truck sounds louder and a little funny. It makes a gurgling sound."
    I say "Huh. I'll take it over to Sean (My mechanic) in the morning and let him have a look at it"

The next morning, she leaves for work... the stomp stomp stomp up the stairs she comes. "What is that!?"

I say "what?, I've had that for a long time now, you never knew that?"

...yeah, it didnt work. She's still ticked about that. Women hold grudges and notice everything.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    My wife knows everything... wait a second.. I am the wife.

JD tried hiding ONE gun purchase from me. I saw that $500 was missing from our finances and when I asked him about it he kept giving very vague responses like, "Tolls and lunches."

Then one day, while going through a drawer I found a Kahr he'd never had before.

I was VERY angry. Not about the gun but about the fact that he tried to hide it from me and lie about it.

I told him that if he wanted a gun to tell me about it and that if he really wanted it I would do my best to work the finances so that he could get it. But if he ever lied to me again he would be sleeping on the couch for a year.

It's been five years of marriage and we have kept that agreement. There isn't a gun he has really wanted that I haven't tried my darndest to make it financially possible for him to get.

What's worse is that because I know the value of firearms it's really hard for me to say no when he does find such fabulous deals on once-in-a-lifetime items.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    We have an agreement where we can spend up to $1,000 without approval from the other, but only a couple of times a year.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

My wife knows I buy guns but has no idea what my inventory is and really doesn't bother her pretty little head with it. She assumes I know what I'm doing and isn't worried about my gun habit. If something new shows up in my collection she isn't particularly interested or even aware. One thing she does do sometimes though is check to make sure I'm carrying when we leave the house to go somewhere.

Our policy is..Don't ask, don't tell.
    Luck is not a feeling it's a way of life

I don't give my wife any hassle about the things she wants and she doesn't give me any hassle about the things I want. I have some antique cars and a small gun collection and she has a new house. Everyone is happy. We discuss major purchases and I tell her about every gun I buy (since she will see them anyway). I also save up over time and pay cash and she never asks me how much they cost. It's a good system that works for us.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Buy all stainless guns, They really can't tell the difference.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links