Had a great idea...pics to prove it.

This is a discussion on Had a great idea...pics to prove it. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I recently purchased a Crossbreed supertuck from another member here. I immediately realized that the kydex portion was going to eat the finish off my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had a great idea...pics to prove it.

I recently purchased a Crossbreed supertuck from another member here. I immediately realized that the kydex portion was going to eat the finish off my 1911 fairly quick so....

I found this foam paper stuff, we actually my wife directed me to it, cut it out to fit and crammed it into the holster. This foam paper has it's own 'sticky stuff', isn't that awesome? So as said I cut it to fit, crammed it inside there and then slowly worked the paper off from the inside. Now the Kydex is completely lined with foam inside, and I left enough extra to fold over so it won't peel off inside.
    Attached Images
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Do you think the foam will hold grit and sweat?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Administrator
    I think the foam is going to do more damage than the kydex.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm going to pretend for a moment that it won't, then I'm going to remember why my dad always said I was stooopid!
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Gotta do, what you gotta do.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Every holster wears the firearm. Kydex more then leather, but they all do it. It sotra goes with the territory of being carried around every day.

Don't let the foam deteriorate to the point where it could get caught in the trigger guard. If it gets hot, damp, or wet, it might get sticky and gross.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    I'm going to pretend for a moment that it won't, then I'm going to remember why my dad always said I was stooopid!
    Humility...you found it.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post

I have some Post-It notes just for such occasions... 2 checkboxes: "Brainstorm" and "Light Drizzle"...

Seriously, let us know if it does indeed catch grit...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Administrator
    I wouldn't be concerned with grit as much as I would moisture. Once that foam starts to break down, and it will, it may gum up your pistol... at that point, who cares about the finish.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Well, the gum (adhesive) should be easy to remove with a gentle solvent... but some grains of sand, stuck in the same position, would dig some grooves into the finish rather than the "scuff" of holster wear, I would think...

There is no holster kinder to a gun's finish than a SmartCarry... [/shameless unpaid plug]
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Holster wear marks give guns character. I only say this because I don't have any "nice" guns that would cause me to worry about cosmetics.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I would think leather is more harsh then kydex....no?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I like the way the kydex holsters fit the guns (crossbreed, c-tac) but i dont own them for the purpose of I dont like the hard plastic composite against the gun. I prefer leather or at the very least a fabric holster.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I use IWB kydex cause it makes it easy for 1 handed reholstering without fiddling. Just sweep, push, click, done.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

cmb
    holster wear is ok for me, I have a few older guns no doubt carried in WWII and by police officers or others and the wear is alright, I have others with pits and scuffs from past neglect, that not alright!

Hope it works for you, let us know!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links