Airsoft help

This is a discussion on Airsoft help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Looking at potentially picking up two airsoft guns but don't know what to get. Would like a 1911 style and a Glock style for training ...

Thread: Airsoft help

Airsoft help

Looking at potentially picking up two airsoft guns but don't know what to get. Would like a 1911 style and a Glock style for training purposes. I'd like to find something as realistic as possible but not completely break the bank.

I know there's a number of members out here that train with airsoft. Anyone have any suggestions? What do I need to look out for?

edit:
    Spring powered, Gas powered, Electric powered ... Oh My!

Well it looks like I want gas.... Any suggestions on brands or types of gas?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Well depends on the training, is it force on force. If so then you need a gas operated semiauto, those will not be really that cheap. Also Glock and 1911 replica models are usually higher end models too. Im not an expert though, you might be able to hunt up some cheaper ones online.
    If its just trigger time then a spring powered "Springer" could work, it just required you to literally chamber and cock every shot.
    Try looking in your area for airsoft clubs, they will be able to help you alot with specifics of brand, type, model. Avoid the AirSoft Forums, ever played any FPS online with a voice chat option? If so expect that kinda of behavior on the Airsoft forums. Atleast thats my experience.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Gas blowback (GBB) is the way to go for realistic training. I would take a look at a few of the importers that deal with the major brands - WA, Tokyo Marui, KWC, etc.

Here are a few examples that I would look at:

RedWolf Airsoft - Airsoft Gun (Softair Gun) Retail and Wholesale From Asia

RedWolf Airsoft - Airsoft Gun (Softair Gun) Retail and Wholesale From Asia

Man these things aren't cheap.... Looking at the Socom Gear MEU 1911 gas blowback...

Looks around $160 for the gun and another $30 for an extra mag...
    UGH!

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I guess another good question is regarding forced failures? Has anyone been able to replicate failures like one would with training/dummy rounds in their normal carry weapons? I guess maybe putting oversized BB's in the magazine would work?

-The Mist (2007)

+1 on gas blowback. Remember, the airsofts are still toys. Great for weapon acquisition and first shot target hit. Superb for short range point shooting drills. When you quickly fire multiple rounds , the gas tends to chill faster and cause misfeeds. Buy a quality piece, KSC, etc.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    You think those are expensive, look at some of the WA or Airsoft Surgeon models... $400-$1000 for a TOY PISTOL.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I've got a great little co2 powered gas pistol (sig replica, I think). I got it for under $40 at Sportsmans Warehouse.
    It's great for Force on Force training. No blow-back, but I personally can't justify the $$ for a toy.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    I've got a great little co2 powered gas pistol (sig replica, I think). I got it for under $40 at Sportsmans Warehouse.
    It's great for Force on Force training. No blow-back, but I personally can't justify the $$ for a toy.
    That's because you look at it in the wrong light... It's not a toy. It's a training tool....er uh at least that's the excuse you can try to run by the wife?

-The Mist (2007)

I can definitely can see the value of these for training. I was thinking it would be great to set up some targets throughout my house and using an airsoft for training. Basically just home defense practice.

Whudyall think?
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Gas powered airsoft pistols are really the only option. However, the gas seals don't work well once they get cold, which happens when you shot a lot. Also, accuracy is really terrible. Realize that it's a very short smoothbore barrel shooting a very light projectile.

I bought a few cheap airsoft guns and it really wasn't worth it. I'd strongly suggest buying a good brand name, as mentioned above. Cheap ones really aren't worth it, in my view. I'm not trying to be a snob -- I currently don't have an airsoft gun. When I can afford to drop $200 on a toy, I'll do it. Might be a while though...

Just ordered a WALTHER CP99 COMPACT. It is a blowback CO2 BB model. Anyone have any experience with one of these ? It seems to have decent reviews from those who bought one..

Will use it for some indoor winter practice.

bosco
    Attached Images

Links