Straight Talk Cell Phone

Straight Talk Cell Phone

This is a discussion on Straight Talk Cell Phone within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does anyone have this cell phone service? I am being dragged kicking and screaming into the cell phone world. This is the one that looks ...

Thread: Straight Talk Cell Phone

Straight Talk Cell Phone

Does anyone have this cell phone service? I am being dragged kicking and screaming into the cell phone world. This is the one that looks the best out of a lot of stuff I don't want or need.

Is it REALLY $30/month? Or do they hang a bunch of taxes and fees on it? If so, how much? I have seen a lot of services (not just cell phones) that advertise "just $29.95 and by the time you get to the bottom line it is $54.

If I use the 1,000 minutes, does the phone just go dead until I recharge it? I do not want an "automatic" recharge. If I run out of minutes then that is just tough, I will wait until the first of the month to talk again.

Anything else you could tell me would be appreciated.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

Gee, that is a toughie to answer. I'm unfamiliar with your service, but generally speaking, there are several mandatory fed and state fees/taxes added on, to the tune of about $5 -$7. If you have a 1000 minute plan (that's a lot, I only have a 450 minute plan), then if you exceed the 1000 minutes, then they start charging from 10 to 25 cents per minute over. That gets real pricey, real quick. Cell carriers also have been know to charge extra for Text messaging, around 10 cents per message. Then, of course, you have to worry if they charge you extra for Long Distance.

Like I said, without reading the fine print, I don't have a clue.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Look in to a prepaid cell phone. That way, you can get some idea of your usage etc.

I use a Straight Talk phone.

There are no hidden fees. What you pay for the monthly cards is it. No gimmicks.

If you reach your limit on text or data the text and data on the phone stops but you still have voice for the 30 days or 1000 minutes. If you use up your minutes you need to get a new card.

The $30 card gets you 1000 min, 1000 texts, and 30 MB of data. the $45 card gets you unlimited everything. All with no hidden fees or contracts. I believe I read somewhere that WalMart has the contract set up with Verizon Wireless.

I don't know of any wireless phone plan out there that will give you unlimited service for $45. After you add on all fees and taxes it's usually $50-60 dollars for a limited plan.

There are drawbacks. You buy your phone outright. There is currently only a limited choice of phones; from the cheap basic to a couple of years old Samsung slide (hopefully more coming soon). If you forget to renew your card/service your cell stops working. I'm not 100% certain (haven't had it happen to me) but I think if your monthly card expires you have a very limited time to get another before you lose your phone # and have to get another one.

Hope this helps you out. It just chapped my butt having to sign a 2 year contract and getting screwed over by the big wireless companies. I jumped on this as soon as my Wally World got them and have absolutely no complaints (other then the limited choice of phones).
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I have Straight talk and it is 100% GTG. it is perhaps the best value in cellular in the USA. 1000 minutes of talk is about 16.50 hours. That breaks down to about 30 minutes of calls per day for $30. For $45 you can talk until your ear grows a tumor. I bought the $79 Motorola phone (not sure which model but it is a mini-Razor) and it is metal body and very nice screen. I link it to my Google Voice account and it works great. 99.99% Verizon network coverage and voice quality.

There is no "automatic recharge" requirement although the option is available. You can simply buy a card every month. Since I link to my Google Voice account it doesn't matter if they reassign me a new number because people who are calling me are calling my "Google" number and all the phones I have linked to that number will ring. If I get a new cell number I just add it to my "ring" list in Google Voice.

Bottom line: For $30+ applicable state sales tax on the $30 you get 1000 minutes and 1000 texts and 30MB of data and free 411 service. or you can always cal 1-800-GOOG-411 for Google's free 411 service from any phone.

ST is the best deal going. It's actually a division of TracFone and sold exclusively thru Wally World and straighttalk.com. They use the Verizon network which has the widest coverage in the country. Recently they released a new Samsung touch screen phone which is a bit pricey at ~$375 but phone geeks are raving about it. HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk

Links