Anyone Know Anything About Snow Shoes?

This is a discussion on Anyone Know Anything About Snow Shoes? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Serious question, I had to hike a couple hundred yards today in knee deep snow today and in the future some snow shoes might make ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Know Anything About Snow Shoes?

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Anyone Know Anything About Snow Shoes?

Serious question, I had to hike a couple hundred yards today in knee deep snow today and in the future some snow shoes might make it better. Thankfully I didn't have to haul any equipment in.

Just looking for input on these, if anyone has any preferences, please chime in. (And no, "staying inside where it's warm is not a valid preference for this)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    There are a variety of models of snowshoes. There are the old traditional ones, they are nice to look at but a pain in the rear to maintain. The size of the snowshoe is dependant upon the load they are expected bear and the kind of snow conditions. Most new ones have step-in bindings that are a snap to put on & use.

Whatever you get, I'd suggest that you get ones with claws/cleats for icy conditions--they can save your bacon. Just do a google search for mountain climbing equipment.

Like anything else, you tend to get what you pay for.........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Right now I'm looking at Tubbs & Atlas, need the max weight if I'm ever going to haul my monitor and tools over the icy plains of Iowa.

And YES I am definitely missing Virginia today.

Sure do. Tubbs & Atlas seem to be the industry leaders currently. MSR makes OK models, but not my favorite. RedFeather used to have more market share and I have owned & liked those too. I have models from both Tubbs and Atlas and like them very much. Be sure to look at the various binding systems....some are a pain in the arse. Take into consideration type of boot you plan to wear. Some bindings do not work too well with enormous boots. You want a binding that will allow you to put them on and take off easily while wearing gloves...also want bindings that you can easily slide your foot into without requiring two hands or sitting down. Also, make sure to buy the right type of snowshoe for your purpose. If you are going to do some casual hiking without a heavy pack or expedition gear you likely won't need anything larger than a 30" Hiking snowshoe...this is a good size as they are quite versatile. Stay away (unless you need them) from backcountry snowshoes that are designed for deep snow and heavy cargo loads....same for the trail running models as they won't be good in snow over your ankle.

Here's a link to my favorite place to buy this type of gear...they have the best prices: Hiking Snowshoes from Backcountry.com

If your on a budget...make sure to check out their outlet site too. You can find some awesome deals there sometimes. Link to the outlet is at the top of backcountry's homepage.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    I may need to haul up to around 50lbs on my back. That + coat+tools+lap top bag a will put me close to 300lbs.

I wear a decent pair of Columbia boots, nothing too heavy duty like felt packs or anything.

I saw some Red Feather shoes, any reason why they have decreased in popularity?

I'm looking at the Tubbs Ventures and the Atlas 11 Series as those are listed to handle my weight requirements.

I'm willing to pay the price if the gear really IS that much better. I'll take a look at the other makers you mentioned.

Your on the right track. Just be sure to look at the weight loads and stay well within them. Based on your comments you might need a backcountry model. You DO indeed get what you pay for. The frames of the expedition models are made of much higher grade materials (from most manufacturers). A cheap frame can bend on you while loaded and that's not fun. Also make sure to look at the frame shapes...try them on at an REI if you can. As the frame gets wider to accommodate deeper snow you might walk more bow-legged (feels like) with some designs. Weight plus waist deep Utah powder would require much more surface area than denser snow that's knee deep or less.

I'm not sure what happended to RedFeather and why the decline. I will say that Tubbs & Atlas are better choices for weight loads. The RedFeather's seemed to be very good for general use & light running.

Forgot to mention....if you do get to try some on somewhere. Be aware that models that have higher spring tensions tend to thow snow up your backside...this can be really annoying if your out for a few hours or are not wearing waterproof pants. For example....I prefer to be able to lift my foot and have the snowshoe hanging level with the ground if your foot is toe down....not so tight that the snowshoe would match the agle of your foot if toe down. ( hope that makes sense).

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Right now I'm looking at Tubbs & Atlas, need the max weight if I'm ever going to haul my monitor and tools over the icy plains of Iowa.

\

Maybe not so much, we're expecting 12 -18 inches this weekend.

I may be shopping for a pair myself.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Have some MSR Denali's:

Tails are available for higher weights too.

Look here:

MSR® Stoves, Cookware, Tents, Camp Towels, Water Filtration, Hydration and Snowshoes.

We bought ours after the winter of '07, haven't had a chance to use them yet.....
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Administrator
    Forget about some stupid shoes, get this;

2010 Yamaha FX Nytro XTX Photo, picture, image

Thats a lot of tolls and lunchs though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I wear Crocs, but that's just me.
    Have Gun Will Travel

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Forget about some stupid shoes, get this;

2010 Yamaha FX Nytro XTX Photo, picture, image

I'm with SIXTO
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats a lot of tolls and lunchs though.
    Now thats funny. Poor JD, he cant get away with nothin'. Cant hide that in the sock drawer either.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Not as much as you might think!

As to the snowshoes, don't suppose you have an REI in the neighborhood? The one near me carries a pretty good selection.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

+1 on REI...I was just in there today and they had a better selection than backcountry.com currently.

Hey Sixto...Yamahas are nice sleds. But this will give that 4 stroke a run for it's money: ARCTIC CAT - M1000 SNO PRO 162" (Artic Cat M1000SnoPro 162)

If you've never seen what one of these can do just go to youtube and search "SledNecks".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links