Have You Ever Heard "Silent Night" In Irish?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Heard "Silent Night" In Irish? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; By Enya. Incredibly Beautiful. YouTube - Enya - Silent Night (in Irish) Christmas Lyrics...

Thread: Have You Ever Heard "Silent Night" In Irish?

Administrator

Thumbs up Have You Ever Heard "Silent Night" In Irish?

2. Remove Ads

Loved it, thanks for sharing. I can see a small similarity between English and Irish in some of the words.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Hauntingly beautiful voice...LOVE Enya!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I was on a Micronesian vessel that was diverted to pick up the crew of the Solar Trader which had gone aground on West Fayu, Caroline Islands, the week before Christmas 1971. It was a business trip for me and I wanted to be back with my team for Christmas. We were still at sea Christmas because of the rescue, so they caught a huge sea turtle. As we were eating the sea turtle, someone had a guitar and we sang Christmas hymns. The Solar Trader crew sang in Korean. The Yapese in Yapese. There were also Ulithian, Woleilian, Tagalug, Truckese, others, and I sang in English. It was a transcendent moment in my life. We knew several songs, but Silent Night was hauntingly beautiful. We sang it several times. Nobody wanted to stop. Every soul on board was in the galley. The captain took way off and let us drift across the Pacific.

I missed several Christmas's at home during my Navy career, but because of that one, I never regretted the others. It is still burned in my memory and every Christmas the feeling floods back. If everybody in the world could have that experience once, we would be at peace.

I never looked at another Korean, Yapese, etc in the same way since then. That was when I was first starting out in my career and I spent many years working with the peoples of Asia. Just when I was ready to shoot someone who desperately needed it, I would stop and mentally put him in that galley drifting across the ocean singing Christmas carols. It always gave me a new look and helped find a resolution to the troubles.

Administrator
    tiwee.....neat story. Thanks for sharing it.

Awesome!!!
    Slante!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Shows how much I know. I didn't know Irish was a separate language. I thought they just have a funny way of speaking English.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Wonderful version of this classic Christmas carol.

During the video, I think I saw the "Silent Night Chapel" depicted. There is a replica of it in Frankenmuth, MI where the wife and I spent a few days a few years ago. It was amazing. Every kind of version, and language of Silent Night you could possibly think of.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Administrator
    I'm not Irish. I just heard it and thought it was so beautifully done. Just one of those "timeless & ethereal" singing voices.

BTW: I also cannot sing at all <~~~

Maybe that is one of the reasons why I appreciate a beautiful singing voice so much.

Links