I dont understand...

I dont understand...

This is a discussion on I dont understand... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; why when I go to bed Im freezing my ass off and have three blankets keeping me warm but when I realize 3 hours later ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I dont understand...

I dont understand...

why when I go to bed Im freezing my ass off and have three blankets keeping me warm but when I realize 3 hours later that I'm tossing and turning it's because it feels like its a hundred degrees in my room, and then the furnace clicks on. My girlfriend is flopping around like a fish out of water too. I don't get it. And as I am writing this, in only my underwear, Im freezing again. The funny part is it doesnt seem like a house issue because it happens everywhere to me. Oh well. My rant is over.

P.S. I hope this isn't the wrong spot for this and if it is by all means move it or delete it.
    S&W 3913 9MM
    Remington 870 Express Magnum
    Remington 721 30-06, Choate Varmint Stock, Harris Bipod, 6-24x50 Tasco Scope(Cheapo)
    Savage .17 HMR

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    It happens to me too, I "overheat" when I sleep. My wife calls me a furnace. It doesn't help that our cat knows this and if I lay down anywhere in the house, he finds me and curls up on me for some free heat.

Because of this, I've slept in my underwear for the past 20 years. Any clothes, and I'm drenched in an hour or two. What I did to help a little at night is I programmed our thermostat to drop 5 degrees at 10pm. I also sleep with a fan directly on me. Yes, I'm a little chilly when I get to bed and if I have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. But I don't sweat nearly as much at night anymore, and I get a much better night's sleep now.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by zukidude13 View Post
    why when I go to bed Im freezing my ass off and have three blankets keeping me warm but when I realize 3 hours later that I'm tossing and turning it's because it feels like its a hundred degrees in my room, and then the furnace clicks on. My girlfriend is flopping around like a fish out of water too. I don't get it. And as I am writing this, in only my underwear, Im freezing again. The funny part is it doesnt seem like a house issue because it happens everywhere to me. Oh well. My rant is over.

P.S. I hope this isn't the wrong spot for this and if it is by all means move it or delete it.
    It's a global warming thing.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    It's a global warming thing.
    S&W 3913 9MM
    Remington 721 30-06, Choate Varmint Stock, Harris Bipod, 6-24x50 Tasco Scope(Cheapo)
    Savage .17 HMR

Sounds like an estrogen imbalance, yeah even guys can get it!!!

All About Diindolylmethane (DIM)
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Sounds like an estrogen imbalance, yeah even guys can get it!!!

All About Diindolylmethane (DIM)
    Well it did all start happening after I stopped taking my ester-c vitamin.
    S&W 3913 9MM
    Savage .17 HMR

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Eh, could be worse. I go to sleep sweating and wake up freezing even with 3 thick comforters in a 65+degree plus room.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I wish there were two of me so I could hate winter double.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    For those of you who sweat at night, consider the possibility of sleep apnea.

Significant snoring, large diameter neck, obesity are also suggestive; if you stop breathing for short periods while you're asleep it's practically diagnostic.

Ask your doc about a 'sleep study' - it actually can be life-threatening. Treatment is about as benign as can be: an air pump which keeps your airways open. Sure, it's a bit odd to strap on a headgear, but you'll sleep far better and you'll stop snoring... and probably live longer. And you'll stop the night sweats (well, I did, anyway).
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member
    Ever think you may just be dreaming about your avatar tooooo much.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I suggest that you put a thermometer on your nightstand to determine if it's 'you', or the actual temperature in your bedroom that is the problem. I'm using a kitchen thermometer that beeps when it reaches a certain temperature.

I am down to just a sheet while sleeping and have recently turned the thermostat setting to "fan ON" 24/7, to circulate the heat through the entire house, instead of having a typical 10° warmer temperature upstairs (downstairs thermostat set for 68° during waking hours and upstairs actual temperature of 79°). So far, having the fan run continuously results in a much more evenly heated, comfortable house. I think it took a day to even out.

I have no idea what it will do to the electric bill, but as I tend to get rather grumpy when overheated, I frankly don't care.

Perhaps you might check the cold air return filter, as well, if you think it might be a heating system problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    For those of you who sweat at night, consider the possibility of sleep apnea.

Significant snoring, large diameter neck, obesity are also suggestive; if you stop breathing for short periods while you're asleep it's practically diagnostic.

Ask your doc about a 'sleep study' - it actually can be life-threatening. Treatment is about as benign as can be: an air pump which keeps your airways open. Sure, it's a bit odd to strap on a headgear, but you'll sleep far better and you'll stop snoring... and probably live longer. And you'll stop the night sweats (well, I did, anyway).
    Apnea is serious as Paymeister said, I have it and use a C-PAP machine to sleep. It does take getting used to but will become second nature should you need one.
    I know your problem as I wake up sweating all the time unless it is actually cold in the house. I have been that way all my life and hate hot weather. I wish there was a pill you could take to stop sweating so much but not as of yet that I know of.
    Wish I had an answer for you but.....

ETA: If you have hot air heat and your bedroom is close to the furnace coupled with sleeping with the bedroom door closed your bedroom may be getting the most efficient heat.

Open the door at night to let the heat circulate throughout the house and see if it make a difference.

You room could be higher in temp than the room your thermostat is in.

ETA: Who is that in your Avatar? That's enough to make anyone sweat right there.
    Seriously who is that?
    Last edited by rottkeeper; December 23rd, 2009 at 09:02 AM.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Ever think you may just be dreaming about your avatar tooooo much.

Z
    That was my thought also!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

My wife is getting a sweater for Christmas....she wanted a moaner or a screamer, but she's getting me, a sweater.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I keep an extra pillow on the floor next to my bed. When the first one is soaked on both sides i chuck it and get the fresh one. My wife segragates my pillow cases from the rest of the sheets at laundry time. She thinks they're nasty. I don't know why. : )
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links