Jail Time for Idiots

This is a discussion on Jail Time for Idiots within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Balloon Boy's Parents Get Jail Time Associated Press FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- The parents who carried out the balloon boy hoax were sentenced to jail ...

Thread: Jail Time for Idiots

Post Jail Time for Idiots

Balloon Boy's Parents Get Jail Time

Associated Press

FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- The parents who carried out the balloon boy hoax were sentenced to jail Wednesday and given strict probation conditions that forbid them from earning any money from the spectacle for four years.

Richard Heene was sentenced to 90 days in jail, including 60 days of work release that will let him pursue his job as a construction contractor while serving his time. His wife, Mayumi, was sentenced to 20 days in jail.

Mr. Heene choked back tears as he said he was sorry, especially to the rescue workers who chased down false reports that his 6-year-old son had floated away in a balloon on Oct. 15. It was a stunt designed to generate attention for a reality-TV show.

"I do want to reiterate that I'm very, very sorry. And I want to apologize to all the rescue workers out there, and the people that got involved in the community. That's it," said Mr. Heene, whose wife did not speak at the hearing.

Larimer County District Judge Stephen Schapanski then ordered Mr. Heene to begin a 30-day jail term on Jan. 11, delaying the start of the sentence for two weeks so he can spend the holidays with his family. Judge Schapanski allowed Mr. Heene to serve the remaining 60 days of his jail term under work release, meaning he can work during the day but spend his nights in jail.

The Heenes' probation would be revoked if they were found to be profiting from any book, TV, movie or other deals related to the stunt.

"This, in simple terms, was an elaborate hoax that was devised by Mr. and Mrs. Heene," the judge said.

The Heenes pleaded guilty to charges that they carried out the balloon hoax, with deals that called for up to 90 days in jail for the husband and 60 days for his wife.

Judge Schapanski ordered Mrs. Heene to serve 20 days in jail after her husband completes his sentence. Her time served is flexible -- she can report to jail on 10 weekends, for example -- so the children are cared for, the judge said.

Prosecutors asked for the maximum sentence for the husband, saying that a message needs to be sent to promoters who attempt to carry out hoaxes to generate publicity. Chief Deputy District Attorney Andrew Lewis also asked for full restitution to reimburse authorities for the cost of investigating the hoax -- an amount that could exceed $50,000.

I believe Child Protective Services should monitor these dolts for four or five years too - and the Heene's should pay for same.

2. Remove Ads

People are so obsessed with getting noticed they will participate in nearly everything. Just look at some of the "reality" shows.

Makes you wonder what they were thinking would happen if it came out as a grand hoax.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Dadgummit!

I thought Pelosi, Reid, Schumer, Frank and Bloomberg were headed to the pokey.

Darn.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

They were fools. There was absolutely no way this was going to turn out as anything other than a hoax. Justice is served!
    Last edited by snakatack; December 24th, 2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Usual typo's

Administrator
    Daring Balloon Escape From Colorado Jail!

Associated Press

FORT COLLINS, Colo.

just kidding....just kidding.

The children should be put in foster care, it's not their fault they have idiots for parents, parents that shouldn't be allowed to raise children.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I can't believe they thought any good would come of this and these people are allowed to reproduce.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Oh if only we could lock up all of the worlds idiots(for their own protection, of course), but unfortunately stupidity is not a crime and they are free to go, anywhere
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    It seems to be the in thing today, to watch or be on reality shows, that in fact, bear no resemblance to reality. It's the dream world that substance abusers sell their souls to create to escape from reality only without the hangover. It's a world gone mad!

Ah, QK.....I just blew coffee all over my laptop!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Dadgummit!

I thought Pelosi, Reid, Schumer, Frank and Bloomberg were headed to the pokey.

Darn.
    ^^^^^^^YEAH, what a letdown^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by snakatack View Post
    They were fools. There was absolutely no way this was going to turn out as anything other than a hoax. Justice is served!
    ^^YEP^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Associated Press

FORT COLLINS, Colo.

just kidding....just kidding.

You are such a spoofer QKShooter!!!!^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

This summer, exclusively on mtv:

The heenes: The prison days

conditions that forbid them from earning any money from the spectacle for four years.
    They shouldn't be allowed to make any money from it EVER. If they make one penny then that means that it WORKED!
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

They should be required to pay the volunteers who helped search. Those people would never have volunteered to be props for a TV show stunt.

Links