What would you do? LONG!

What would you do? LONG!

This is a discussion on What would you do? LONG! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yesterday, in the a.m., I shot over to Cape Canaveral to Ace hardware. En route, I passed one of the major NASA contractors large office ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do? LONG!

What would you do? LONG!

Yesterday, in the a.m., I shot over to Cape Canaveral to Ace hardware. En route, I passed one of the major NASA contractors large office building complexes. Across the 4 lane road on the west side is a small strip shopping center. Out at the road, front of the shopping center, were 2 Arabic looking men, 40ish, both with cell phones, holding them up, as if video/photographing the contractor complex. I think, how cliche', seeing that sight. But, I know they are Arabic, and it just gives me the creeps.

So, I make my purchase at Ace, and head back toward home. I pass the same complex en route. I look toward the place where the men were, curious as to where they were now,some 10 minutes later. Well, 'they' were over in front of the shopping center, beside a car, and there were a few Arabic women with them. Funny, though, the men were both staring across the road at the complex for the NASA contractor. I ran through all the things in my head, how it is not illegal to photo the building, this is all to cliche' to worry about, a leo would think I was silly if I reported it, etcetera.

Well, my analness (word?) got the better of me and I turned around and drove the mile to the Cape Canaveral sheriffs substation. A motorcycle cop, who I have interacted with other times as part of my job, was standing beside his bike, talking to a seargeant. He noticed me, and excused himself from his conversation, and asked if he could help me. I, rather sheepishly explained my story, and he said, no problem, it was not silly, and he would ride over and have a look around. I've no idea what transpired after that as I drove home and put it out of my mind.

It is a difficult thing to settle in my mind, as I have written above, there are so many mental arguments mitigating against reporting something so possibly trivial. Just wondering! p.s., all the arguments about stereotyping, profiling, etcetera have already entered my thought processes.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

i'd be curious if i saw anyone taking pics of things that weren't established landmarks, like the Statue of Liberty. who takes pictures of bridges, powerplants, and courthouses? ethnicity doesn't factor in for me.

The thing about sterotypes is that most of the time they are true. If something JDLR. (Just Doesn't Look Right) it is better to say than play the what if game.

Trust your gut, patriot.

I can't blame you in this day and age for reporting it. If it turns out to be nothing then no harm done. At least you can sleep not wondering if you had let something go that SHOULD have been reported.

I may get flamed for this but here goes... When a certain group of people would like to see us all dead then it is wise to keep an eye on that group. Once you've been burned you sure pay attention to the flame more closely.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Sleep well, tonight. Almost certainly, it's the combination of factors that caused the little hairs on the back of your neck to rise. Imagine the many recent instances in the past 10yrs of such things, then realize the stereotypes come from somewhere. It's not a bad thing to put two and two together. It's your 24x7 internal safety system, which never dozes. Refusal to listen to it can be deadly.

IMO, you did the right thing. Think about it:
    • Behavior that wasn't common;
    • two or more people acting in concert;
    • at a facility of worth;
    • at a facility with easy general access;
    • over a time period not reasonably associated with tourists;
    • in which the people involved all somewhat resembled the look of people involved in numerous recent incidents of the sort you're worried about.

That about cover it? If so, sleep well ... you done good, to report it to someone who could verify. Either way, one this is true: using your head isn't a bad thing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would have done the same. Good job.

VIP Member
    They're the architect and engineer for the remodeling job about to be contracted out. Just getting a good look at the elevation to make sure it conforms with the initial drawings back at the office.

See, there's an innocent explanation for everything.

Or, they work there and are sending pics to their relatives of the lovely building.

IMO what was done was improper stereotyping, to the point that your 6th sense tells you something is wrong.

Always go with your 6th sense. It keeps you out of trouble. Every bad mistake I have ever made has happened when I ignored my intuition.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    The thing about sterotypes is that most of the time they are true. If something JDLR. (Just Doesn't Look Right) it is better to say than play the what if game.
    i disagree. this line of thinking is what gets me followed around in department stores, and pulled over in certain neighborhoods more than the average person. it's a little sickening, actually.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    You did the right thing! Trust your instincts. I would have done the same thing.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I can agree....

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i disagree. this line of thinking is what gets me followed around in department stores, and pulled over in certain neighborhoods more than the average person. it's a little sickening, actually.
    that in your case, when those actions against you are done without your having conspicuously done anything that on the surface seems suspicious, that would, indeed, imho, be absolutely wrong, and despicable. I notice Arabic looking people regularly, and pay them no undue attention. These guys just seemed to be acting out of the ordinary, imho. I believe Hitch King's reference to JDLR stereotype was due to the unusual activity. I am not speaking for H/King, however. That is just my read on it.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    See, there's an innocent explanation for everything.
    For some things, true.

IMO what was done was improper stereotyping, to the point that your 6th sense tells you something is wrong.
    Tough, and the reason is simple: can't know unless it's checked out. And, checking doesn't harm anyone. If it's nothing, folks simply go on their way. If it's more, then good was done. Either way, no harm.

Of course, there are dishonorable eggs in the basket of law enforcement officers, in every state. Now and then, the "bad" one is going to get into such a situation, and it's going to go sideways due to heavy-handed treatment of the suspect(s). That's not the fault of the innocents. Nor should it inhibit folks from erring slightly on the side of caution, IMO. It's up to the person sensing the factors.

Always go with your 6th sense. It keeps you out of trouble. Every bad mistake I have ever made has happened when I ignored my intuition.
    Certainly, the little meter that senses when multiple subtle indicators fall into place can be incorrect. But, many people report that it's scary accurate over a lifetime of listening to it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    German spies/saboteurs who were dropped off in America during WWII by submarines were caught by people who thought something was out of the ordinary. I'm sure history is replete with other examples.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Good SA. I know sterotyping is "bad" but when i'm on a plane and there is a guy with a towel on his head also on the plane I watch him more than other "normal" looking people. Wrong? Probably but its just a state of mind and a gut feeling after 911. 90/100 they are probably good people but sterotyping has saved lives. i.e. guy in ski mask in the store probably a bad guy but still sterotyping. Way to be aware and trust your gut it won't let you down.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I can't blame you in this day and age for reporting it. If it turns out to be nothing then no harm done. At least you can sleep not wondering if you had let something go that SHOULD have been reported.

I may get flamed for this but here goes... When a certain group of people would like to see us all dead then it is wise to keep an eye on that group. Once you've been burned you sure pay attention to the flame more closely.
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i'd be curious if i saw anyone taking pics of things that weren't established landmarks, like the Statue of Liberty. who takes pictures of bridges, powerplants, and courthouses? ethnicity doesn't factor in for me.

^^^^YEP^^^^

IMO, you did the right thing. Think about it:
    Behavior that wasn't common;
    two or more people acting in concert;
    at a facility of worth;
    at a facility with easy general access;
    over a time period not reasonably associated with tourists;
    in which the people involved all somewhat resembled the look of people involved in numerous recent incidents of the sort you're worried about.

What ccw9mm said^^^^^
    as per the norm!!

*"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
    illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
    media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to
    pick up a turd by the clean end**.**" Author Unknown
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links