I've taken up an old hobby

I've taken up an old hobby

This is a discussion on I've taken up an old hobby within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I used to build and paint Navy ship models. Currently I'm building the USS Missouri... I have the USS Eisenhower and the USS Arizona after ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've taken up an old hobby

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Thumbs up I've taken up an old hobby

I used to build and paint Navy ship models. Currently I'm building the USS Missouri... I have the USS Eisenhower and the USS Arizona after I'm done with the "Mighty Mo". Doing these models are a little harder then I remembered. Does anyone here build them, and if they do, do you have any pointers on how to paint them and build them?

First I primed everything with a basic Navy Grey coat. After I did that, I attempted to paint the pieces before I broke them off the molds. The glue just ruined the paint when I put the part on. Model glue is a mess When that failed I tried gluing on the pieces un-painted... but when I do that, it's a pain to paint when it's all assembled

I really am at a loss here. Any tricks or ideas to help me out here? Any help would be appreciated!

Senior Moderator
    Its easier to paint the small things when they are still attached to the "tree".

The trick is to not paint where the glue goes.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

When I did Model cars and painted the parts before glueing I had to be carfull about getting pain on area to be glued (small tipped brush). be sure paint is completely dried. Buy model glue in a bottle. I used a large needle to apply glue so I would get just a small drop of glue where it was needed. Be carfull to place the part where it needs to be and in the corect position. Go slow and don't try and join to many pieces at a time. be sure glue is set before adding more pieces. I customised my cars by combining sets and cutting pieces to fit.

Note If paint gets on area that glue goes, let paint dry, then carfully scrape area with point of small exacto knife.

Well I guess what I am more curious of is what tools are required to build a model? Currently I have a magnifying glass desk lamp. It helps with the small stuff. I have a small pointed razor thingy. It's sharp as heck and helps he scrape off excess plastic etc... I also have a pair of needle nose pliers to set small pieces into place. The tools seem to work... I may have to figure something out for the glue. I liked your idea raevan about using a needle. I'll have to try that out before I ruin my model any further...

you need tiny brushes and a magnifier to paint the small stuff, and a lot of patients.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

IMO, you need some surgical tooling to go along with what you currently have. Such as smooth tweezers. Other than that, you do need pinpoint accuracy on the glue. The needle suggestion would do good. On painting plastic parts, I suggest buffing them slightly, or using an adhesion promoter as a primer. Then paint, and you could use a clear coat afterward. Let them cure per paint instructions. Most glues will turn paint into liquid upon contact...they are heavy duty. testors model glue and such need to be applied in very small amounts so as not to 'bleed' out of the crevices once you squeeze the parts together. Remember.....it's like plastic welding, and with the chemical reaction there is heat generated with the application of the glue. Make sure your paint adheres fully, let it cure, and limit your application of adhesive. Why is it I remember toulene? I don't honestly know what they use these days for model glue, but like I say, most of it is heavy duty, and you may need to sign a waiver to buy nowadays. I built a lot of aircraft and big rig models in my day as well as Star Trek ships including a glow-in-the-dark model Klingon battleship. Don't let the glue get out of hand.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Glue parts together with cyanoacrylate (super glue) and blow a little puff of baking soda on the glue and a catalytic reaction will harden the glue instantly. When I say instantly, I mean INSTANTLY. It will be as hard as it will ever get in a split-second.

I like "Hot Stuff" glue but any CA super glue will work with this method.

I have a little dental instrument that looks like a tiny paddle and I scoop a little pile of baking soda on the end and blow it onto the part I have applied glue to. As long as a little bit of exposed glue comes in contact with the baking soda it will "set up" in a nano-second.

Amazon.com: 1/2 oz. Hot Stuff Cyanoacrylate Glue: Toys & Games

VIP Member
    Check out these folks:

Kalmbach Publishing Co. - Hobby, craft, leisure time magazines, books, events, shows

I have a number of their books, and they always helped me with AFV models.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

You may want to consider a set of small files to file down rough edges and marks from the mold. An x-acto knife will work, but you can get a smoother surface with a fine file. They are also useful for squaring up edges that aren't perfectly true to gain a better gluing surface.

Talking

Can You make it look like this???

Yeah I know it's the IOWA but they are sister ships after all......
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Can You make it look like this???

Yeah I know it's the IOWA but they are sister ships after all......
    I should get all four... You inspired an idea!

Also that helps with a paint scheme.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Get a pair of bent nose tweezers for holding tiny parts while gluing. I line my work area with some waxed paper for easy clean-up.
    Oh and your wife's emery boards make a great file(just don't tell her where you got that idea)
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Now this is the art of model building. Every single detail painstakingly recreated in miniature. Mind blowing metal craft work. Fascinating.

Realistic Aircraft Modeling|Sepientia

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Now this is the art of model building. Every single detail painstakingly recreated in miniature. Mind blowing metal craft work. Fascinating.

Realistic Aircraft Modeling|Sepientia
    I'm not worthy!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Now that brings model building to a whole new level.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links