This is a discussion on Avatar within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The wife and I went to see Avatar in 3d tonight and I can honestly say that it was one of those rare movies that ...

Thread: Avatar

The wife and I went to see Avatar in 3d tonight and I can honestly say that it was one of those rare movies that you will be willing to see over and over. That said, visually, in 3d, it was astonishing just to look at. The work done to create another 'world' just leaves you in complete awe at times. We found ourselves saying 'wow' several times just at how great the visual effects were. The meshing of humans into the scenery and blue screened environment, as well as the machinery is top notch. It will get technical Oscars, without a doubt. I would definitely see it again, and its rare that I would any movie, not necessarily because its a great movie, but because its great movie making. I'd REALLY like to see it on an Imax screen.

Sorry guys, the hype about hidden political agendas in it it is complete crap; this movie is nothing more than a sci-fi, futuristic "Dances With Wolves", brilliantly put together in a way that is sure to make it the all time grossing movie of our time. Don't miss this one guys, see it in 3d at a theater!!
    John Luttrell

2. Remove Ads

I started a thread on this when the movie first came out. I too think it is an amazing movie and that it is a preview into the future of movies. I can't wait to see it again and I am really looking forward to the movies that follow in this technology!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...79-avatar.html
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Sorry for the duplicate thread; I've been out of town and completely missed that post.
    John Luttrell

I went this past Sunday with the wife, sister, brother in-law and nephew just to something to do with the family. I went with the thought that I don't usually like that type of movie and was pleasantly surprised, I liked it a lot.
    With a little imagination I could think up several ways it could be called a political storyline. But that doesn't make me correct, I may just have an active imagination.
    I went hoping to be entertained and I was.

Movie tickets for two: $19.75
    Popcorn and drinks: $ 15.00
    Quality time with family: Priceless
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I saw the previews for it a few weeks ago. It looks amazing,,,,, sadly since its not a chick flick and not a Disney movie I'll have to wait until it comes out on video.

Have not seen it yet, hope to soon.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

My brother called me yesterday after seeing it and told me i HAD to watch it in the theatre before it came out on DVD. Guess im going to go see it real soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Very cool cinematography / effects, however very anti-business, anti-military, old plot extolling the virtues of the "noble savage', without the messiness of real native people to screw up the story.

All that money spent and he couldn't have hired some really good screen writers?

I took my son to the non 3D version and all I can say is wow. In this show humans are the aliens. It's got a green bent to it but unless you are a hardcore pillager of the earth you should be OK. It's more along the lines of NAI where all life is connected.

Anyway, IMHO and that of my son, it's the best movie we've seen all year. Good guys, bad guys, mercenaries, greed, selflesness, morality and courage. Son and I both want to see it in 3D and will be buying the DVD.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Very cool cinematography / effects, however very anti-business, anti-military, old plot extolling the virtues of the "noble savage', without the messiness of real native people to screw up the story.

All that money spent and he couldn't have hired some really good screen writers?
    You know I couldn't have said it better. The movie was good, I enjoyed it, but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth about how lame the plot was. It would have been better if he (Jake) just learned their ways and then spent more time with the blue people. If they wanted a war maybe the could have worked in a ware between the tribes or something.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    You're right about one thing, there were no hidden political agendas. The political agendas were right out in the open.

As mindless entertainment it was great, though.

But the plot was DancesWithWolvesFernGullyTheLastSamuraiBraveheartP ocahontasReturnoftheJedi. Zero originality points there.

I enjoyed the movie but it did follow a tired old Hollywood formula: a mercenary force run amok, ( would a mercenary force really have access to all that high tech military hardware, or was it the real military being used as a corporate tool?), and a money grubbing corporate villain that is still tying the heroine to the railroad tracks. In this Hollywood model there is only good and bad, black and white, with no room for a negotiated outcome. It had a different ending in that the good guys won, unlike Dances with Wolves, but if I were active or ex military, I would have been a little bit offended. All the military people that I have met have the highest of morals and sense of duty and would not be killing 9 foot Na'vi with only bows and arrows for corporate greed.

Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    I saw the previews for it a few weeks ago. It looks amazing,,,,, sadly since its not a chick flick and not a Disney movie I'll have to wait until it comes out on video.
    It was my sister that told me to go see it. It's definatly "chick friendly", and since she's now planning to take her 8 year old, kid friendly too.
    Def take make this a date movie. There is a romance storyline mixed in with the spectacular special effects.

Go see it!
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    You're right about one thing, there were no hidden political agendas. The political agendas were right out in the open.

As mindless entertainment it was great, though.

But the plot was DancesWithWolvesFernGullyTheLastSamuraiBraveheartP ocahontasReturnoftheJedi. Zero originality points there.
    I enjoyed the entertainemnt value but the gratuitous politics were over the top. Technically and Visually stunning lame plot. Had a great time with my girls. However, my wife didn't feel comfortable with near-nakedness especially with my thirteen year old daughter with us. However, svelt bodies and boob makes good movies these day (and most days). OMOYMMV
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Links