Attempted home invasion

This is a discussion on Attempted home invasion within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So the family and I have been out of the state on vacation and don't return for two more days. I just got a call ...

Thread: Attempted home invasion

Attempted home invasion

So the family and I have been out of the state on vacation and don't return for two more days. I just got a call from the friend who has been going by to pick up the mail and news paper. Apparently last night around 3am someone was trying to break in and had gotten as far as damaging a window. My neighbor across the street who is always up late noticed and call the cops and went outside and scared off the intruder. There was a police report filed. Since we don't fly back for two days we just have to wait and hope the intruder is too scared to try again and that my neighbor stays vigalent. I don't think I've ever felt so volnurable and helpless in my life.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I really can't imagine how you feel as this has never happened to me (thank goodness).

Are all of your valuables locked up and secure? Is all of your insurance up to date?

In the end, however, things are things and with insurance the only thing you may be missing is some sentimental value.

If I were to be robbed I would rather it be while me and my family was away to limit danger to myself and those I love.

I'm very sorry this is happening to you, however. I really do hope that he does not try again and you are able to return home to a complete home.

Have they said anything about increasing police presence in the neighborhood?

Do you have a home security system?

No security system. It won't be the end of the world, insurance is all paid up, I just don't want to deal with it. One of the last thing I did before leaving was take my backup computer harddrive with me so I won't lose any data. I'm so glad i did.

A good neighbor is a very good thing.

I believe as the ecomony gets worse the bottom dwellers will crawl out and look for any easy target to get their next fix.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

500 dollar install and 35 bucks a month,,,, a home security system is a good thing.

Sorry this happened to you. I'm glad they didn't get in. I use to life near Grandview Missouri and were use to break-ins. I had my car stolen once, car broke into once and neighbors houses broken into several times. They don't have alarms either. An alarm makes all the difference in the world. The thieves just move along to someone that doesn't have an alarm.

If you have a computer and internet I would get an IP cam. You can check your house from wherever you are via internet or cell phone(if it can browse the net). Can sit in your hotel room and see everything at home. You can even get email or text messages when a camera detects motion.

You can get cheap non moveable ones to full pan tilt and zoom cams. Pretty sweet compared to the old cctv stuff. Oh and they have no monthly fee or anything either.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Alarms can be good but right now that is an after thought. I would call the neighbor to assess the damage to the window. I would also have him call some one to repair the window and pay him when I got back. I would also pay the neighbor a "reward" for his vigilance. Good neighbors are worth their weight in gold now a days.

ntg
    Good neighbors are priceless, and unfortunately rarely transferable. Hope all turns out well.

Sorry to hear about your situation. That would drive me nuts, but fortunately we do have good neighbors...they notice everything.
    Maybe you should buy your neighbor a new rifle with a good 'scope'?...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Maybe you should buy your neighbor a new rifle with a good 'scope'?...I'm just sayin'...
    I like your thinking.

JOE HORN comes to mind
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    Good neighbors are priceless, and unfortunately rarely transferable. Hope all turns out well.
    isn't that the truth
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

First buy your neighbor something really nice on this trip. Then get, a security system, dog, dead bolts, and have the local PD come by and give you a security assesment. If your locals won't the big name security co's will.

Links