Taking two neophytes shooting Sunday!

This is a discussion on Taking two neophytes shooting Sunday! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A younger couple who are good friends of ours have known for quite some time that both the wife and I carry. The guy was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking two neophytes shooting Sunday!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar

A younger couple who are good friends of ours have known for quite some time that both the wife and I carry. The guy was ambivalent, and didn't see the point, but didn't frown on it. The gal has said in the past that guns scare her, but again, didn't give us any grief about it.

Every now and again we'd offer to take them shooting just for fun, but they never accepted.

Well...a couple of uncomfortable instances where she was alone with strangers that didn't belong there in a remote barn where we volunteer seem to have changed her mind, and by extension, his as well.

Sunday we head to the range to start letting them feel it out!

The plan, after safety instruction is to work them up from .22, to .38, etc. as their comfort allows. No pressure, no push to consider CC, just a fun day of pitching lead.
    After all, we all know after a proper introduction they'll be hooked anyway, right?
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member
    The only thing that produces a bigger grin on a human face than the first time you fire a pistol is the first time you fire an automatic weapon. Both tend to hook you.

Good for you being a friend and instructor.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Great plan! I started my wife with the smaller calibers on our first outing together...but by the end of the day she liked my buddy's Kimber 3" Raptor best. Good Luck.

BTW...I love your avatar. I have a red one too that looks like yours...sister to my avatar.

There is something about the ability to control the projection of force that gives the human brain a feeling of great power under its control.

That means going shooting is grate fun!!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Sounds like a plan. Let them have fun with it. Maybe take a bag of baloons and blow up, attach them to a target and have them pop the baloons. Make a game of it while keeping safety first. This way they may loose all anxiety even quicker and want to shoot even more.

Great plan on starting with the 22. They are just plain fun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Great plan! I started my wife with the smaller calibers on our first outing together...but by the end of the day she liked my buddy's Kimber 3" Raptor best. Good Luck.

BTW...I love your avatar. I have a red one too that looks like yours...sister to my avatar.
    Yeah, he's my buddy. I take him everywhere I can. Yours is great too! I think there are a few of us Husky folks here now.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Let them have fun with it. Maybe take a bag of baloons and blow up, attach them to a target and have them pop the baloons. Make a game of it while keeping safety first. This way they may loose all anxiety even quicker and want to shoot even more.
    Great idea! I'm going to pick some up tomorrow!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I got an extra .22 rifle and pistol just take people to the range for their first time. It's a wonder thing to be able to introduce someone the right way to firearms.

Have fun
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

UPDATE: 3 new 2a supporters created today!

Well, despite weather unusually cold for Tennessee, we got to the range today. At the last minute we even grabbed another friend. This was a real coup, as she was raised in a very anti-gun household!

After the safety talk, we warmed up with .22's, then as they grew confident they went to .38, 9mm and even .45 at the end!

They were all grinning ear to ear all day, and are now even asking about the HCP class!

It was a fun day, and they are looking forward to their next trip to the range.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

sounds like you did a great job
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Yeah, they really had fun, and with 4 experienced shooters we were able to keep them shooting, and safe.
    The range was so cold, we had it all to ourselves too.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Fantastic! Great job. The balloon idea is also good for experienced shooters, to keep them interested. Enjoy the sport with your new shooting buddies.

We shot until they were too cold to shoot any more! If it were 20 degrees warmer, we'd probably still be there!

The "girly girl" of the three is already online looking at pink guns.

Good day. Good day.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Its Sunday night, hope everyone had a "bang-up" good time!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    Its Sunday night, hope everyone had a "bang-up" good time!
    They sure did. They're all emailing and face booking each other about it.
    Mission accomplished.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links