Meh, who needs a hard drive...

This is a discussion on Meh, who needs a hard drive... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well... The hard drive on my 10 month old computer just died yesterday, but thanks to Ubuntu Linux being able to be run off of ...

Thread: Meh, who needs a hard drive...

Meh, who needs a hard drive...

Well...
    The hard drive on my 10 month old computer just died yesterday, but thanks to Ubuntu Linux being able to be run off of a live CD, I am still online while I wait for a new HDD from the computer manufacturer. Of course I can't store docs on the computer, but I can put them on the cloud for later!

I love this OS!!!! I barely have noticed a difference, other than Flash not working, but heck I can live with that for a day or three!!!! I can also mount it run it on a Windows or Mac without installing it on either computer. Free download and totally portable! Works out great if you want to shop for a new computer. Just pop it in and reboot and viola!

Yay LInux!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

I've waited nearly 15 years for the Linux community to get its act together and create what is now known as Ubuntu. It still has some issues but it is WORLDS BETTER than any microsoft product.

It's faster, simpler, safer, and easy.

I luv my Ubuntu.

VIP Member
    OK, how does one go about doing this. I'm running XP Professional. DO I just google the word "Ubuntu," download and install? Do I copy it to a CD or USB data stick and boot from there? What about device drivers for HP Printer, external hard drive, wifi access point, mouse and web cam?

Should I go buy the Dummies Book and try to figure it out or do you guys have quick, fast, and easy advise.

Right now I'm torn between trying this, getting a W7 web book, get a Mac, and taking a .40 to the lot of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    OK, how does one go about doing this. I'm running XP Professional. DO I just google the word "Ubuntu," download and install? Do I copy it to a CD or USB data stick and boot from there? What about device drivers for HP Printer, external hard drive, wifi access point, mouse and web cam?

Should I go buy the Dummies Book and try to figure it out or do you guys have quick, fast, and easy advise.

Right now I'm torn between trying this, getting a W7 web book, get a Mac, and taking a .40 to the lot of it all.

Okay, Here is my advice.
    1. Go here: Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu download it and burn to disc. FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
    2. Pop it in your drive and reboot. Select English and then try without installing. Try it out and it will give you a great idea of what it is about.
    3. If you like it, create a partition and install it.

If you have any questions, ask me or go to Ubuntu Forums If you go to Absolute Beginners, you can get any question answered. There will be a little learning curve, as there is with any new OS, but, it is stable, FAST and super secure. It automatically has all of your ports closed, so it is quite difficult to crack.

Enjoy, and welcome to the dark side! We have cookies!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

HP is native, Ext hard drive is automatically detected, WiFi is a breeze, mouse webcam etc all native. And, if you install it, you will have access to a ton of free programs!!!!

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Unk, Many thanks.

Will take a look at the web site.

If you like Ubuntu, you may also like Mint

Do what unk fungus suggested and burn the OS to a CD. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO DO THIS - it's NOT like burning a regular file to a CD!

Once you have a CD you can put it into your drive and boot with it in "test drive" mode. The disk will put a SMALL program on your computer which is easily removed via remove programs in control panel if you change your mind later.

The Hardy Heron version of the OS is fairly well debugged. There's a ton of updates for it but you don't "need" them to run the system while you're getting used to it. Jaunty Jackalope is the newest version but it is still in beta testing.

The learning curve to get started is short and flat. Beyond that you should get a "for dummies" book because the system is different in commands and other stuff. Once you get familiar with the OS, you can partition your HDD and install it as a dual boot system. Later you can save your files and then wipe the HDD and reinstall Ubuntu by itself. Then kiss Microsoft g'bye. Forever.

Links