Outrageous Animal Cruelty In My Neighborhood

This is a discussion on Outrageous Animal Cruelty In My Neighborhood within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man arrested in dog-dragging death Man arrested in dog-dragging death Suspect’s sister tells investigators he had dog, said he would kill it By PAUL SHOCKLEY/The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outrageous Animal Cruelty In My Neighborhood

Outrageous Animal Cruelty In My Neighborhood

Man arrested in dog-dragging death
    Man arrested in dog-dragging death
    Suspect’s sister tells investigators he had dog, said he would kill it

By PAUL SHOCKLEY/The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel
    Thursday, December 31, 2009
    A Fruita man accused of dragging a dog to death on Colorado National Monument was ordered on Thursday to be held without bond for the weekend.
    Steven Clay Romero, 37, is scheduled for a detention hearing and arraignment Monday afternoon at the Wayne N. Aspinall federal building. Romero, shackled and dressed in a yellow jumpsuit from the Mesa County Jail, where he’s being held, expressed bewilderment at the allegations.
    “I don’t get it,” he said, sitting alone at the defendant’s table. Assistant U.S. Attorney Michelle Heldmyer then rose from her seat, walked toward Romero and tossed a copy of the charges on the table in front of him.
    Heldmyer told U.S. Magistrate Judge Laird Milburn she will ask for Romero’s continued detention during Monday’s hearing.
    Romero expressed concern about sitting in jail over the weekend and said he’ll be hiring his own attorney. He told the judge he’s an over-the-road trucker for a company in Silverton, and he supports a family.
    “So, in other words I’ll be sitting in jail and probably lose my job, too?” Romero asked Milburn.
    “Yes,” the judge responded.
    According to Romero’s arrest affidavit, about 4:30 a.m. Wednesday a maintenance worker at Colorado National Monument saw tire tracks and drag marks in the snow leading up West Hill, past the Fruita entrance to the park. Two miles later, the worker saw the carcass of Buddy, a German shepherd-blue heeler mix, with a rope tied to its neck.
    Video surveillance at the Fruita entrance showed a double-cab pickup entering the park at 2:18 a.m. Wednesday with a dog in the truck’s bed, and the same truck exited at 2:30 a.m.
    The affidavit said a Delta man saw a photo of the dog posted online at GJSentinel.com around 9 a.m. Wednesday, and later claimed to authorities the dog belonged to his friend. The man told authorities the dog had been stolen from downtown Delta on Tuesday.
    A Delta police report indicates a witness recorded the license plate of the suspect’s vehicle in the alleged dog theft, which tied back to a home in Fruita, according to the affidavit.
    National Park Service rangers went to the Fruita home and found paw prints in the snow in the front yard, the affidavit said. A neighbor told them he saw Steven Romero leave the home with a dog similar to Buddy, the dog in the photo publicized by monument staff Wednesday morning.
    The neighbor said he saw Romero leave with the dog around 2 a.m. Wednesday.
    According to the affidavit, rangers were given permission to search the home, where rope similar to that tied on Buddy was found in the garage. Hours later, rangers met with Romero’s sister.
    “Romero’s sister stated that the dog was in their home and Romero said he was going to kill it,” the affidavit said. “She stated he left with the dog late last night and returned home a half hour later without it.”
    When rangers returned to the home, a woman who answered the door was uncooperative and provided a false phone number for Romero, the affidavit said.
    The affidavit makes no mention of a law enforcement interview with Romero prior to his arrest, nor does it speak to a motive for the dog’s torture and death.
    A news release from monument officials said Romero was arrested Thursday morning at the Mesa County Justice Center after he appeared there on an unrelated criminal case.
    Romero faces a maximum three years in prison, a fine up to $100,000 and a year of mandatory parole if convicted on a federal charge of felony cruelty to animals.
    Romero was arrested six times in the past seven years by police in Montrose and Grand Junction on a variety of charges, including weapons offenses, traffic violations and drug distribution, according to court records. Five of the six arrests were in 2009. Romero was in Mesa County District Court on Thursday for a hearing on a drug and weapon-related case stemming from a Sept. 12 arrest at a local motel.
    According to an arrest affidavit, Romero was contacted by Grand Junction Police Department officers in a room at Monument Inn, 1600 North Ave., and three baggies of methamphetamine were found in his possession. Officers also found a loaded, modified “short shotgun” in Romero’s vehicle and live shotgun shells in his jacket, the affidavit said.
    Romero’s case heads to trial in March.
    Sentinel reporter Amy Hamilton contributed to this story
    This guy needs to be off the planet.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Ok I'm a bit confused. Did he drag the dog behind the truck? He stole the dog and then drug it to death? Am I getting this right?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

"So in other words I'll be sitting in jail and probably loose my job". Nope, those are the words. In other words you will probably lose your freedom. There are conscienes for your behavior.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

My state made animal cruelty a felony last year. Must say it was about time.....and those who do the acts will now spend time and/or loose their freedoms.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ok I'm a bit confused. Did he drag the dog behind the truck? He stole the dog and then drug it to death? Am I getting this right?
    I'm confused too. Was it an accident? The Dog was in the bed in the surveillance video.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

VIP Member
    Animal abuse to me is second only to abuse of children.

VIP Member
    Romero faces a maximum three years in prison, a fine up to $100,000 and a year of mandatory parole if convicted on a federal charge of felony cruelty to animals.
    Romero was arrested six times in the past seven years by police in Montrose and Grand Junction on a variety of charges, including weapons offenses, traffic violations and drug distribution, according to court records. Five of the six arrests were in 2009. Romero was in Mesa County District Court on Thursday for a hearing on a drug and weapon-related case stemming from a Sept. 12 arrest at a local motel.
    According to an arrest affidavit, Romero was contacted by Grand Junction Police Department officers in a room at Monument Inn, 1600 North Ave., and three baggies of methamphetamine were found in his possession. Officers also found a loaded, modified “short shotgun” in Romero’s vehicle and live shotgun shells in his jacket, the affidavit said.
    Romero’s case heads to trial in March.
    This “pillar” of the community deserves to be put away for a verrrry long time.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

If a person will drag a dog to death on purpose, he is capable of any type of evil against any one. IMO

I have had to put pet dogs down for different reasons and it hurt my soul down deep.

The value of life is important to a feeling person, when a person looses his or her heart feeling for the life of the innocent human or animal he is on the way to becoming a monster. IMO
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Administrator
    The person that wrote that article needs to go back to school and learn how to get back to a clear and easily understandable Who, What, When, Where, Why, & How.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The person that wrote that article needs to go back to school and learn how to get back to a clear and easily understandable Who, What, When, Where, Why, & How.
    +1. I don't fully understand the facts here.

Also (not for you QK) you LOSE your freedom. Lose and loose, not interchangable.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Yup. That's our local rag. I was less confused having seen the report on TV news. The report on TV showed the poor animal dead beside the road after having been intentionally drug for several miles with a rope around his neck, pulled by a truck driven by this fine citizen.

you know id like to tie his nuts with some broken stranded winch line and drag him up a mountain. who treats an animal that way that guy needs a good old country whoopin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Yup. That's our local rag. I was less confused having seen the report on TV news. The report on TV showed the poor animal dead beside the road after having been intentionally drug for several miles with a rope around his neck, pulled by a truck driven by this fine citizen.
    Since you seem to know more about this help me out here. Did he steal the dog, get it home, get yelled at by his gal for having the dog, then go out and kill it? That is what I'm getting from this train wreck of an article.
    Mark Twain:

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Since you seem to know more about this help me out here. Did he steal the dog, get it home, get yelled at by his gal for having the dog, then go out and kill it? That is what I'm getting from this train wreck of an article.
    This is confusing. I believe the TV news report had the dog stolen from a home in a town about 40 miles away from here by another person, possibly a friend of the guy who did the dragging. All the facts are not clear to me except the sickening fact that this guy allegedly put a rope around the dog's neck and drug him to death and left him dead on the road. This incident has sickened dog lovers here. Of course the guy who was arrested for this hasn't had his day in court. If he happens to be innocent, which I doubt, I'll have to retract the names I have called him.

I try to believe that all life is sacred, however I have trouble having any compassion for someone like this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links