Avatar: more liberal demonization

This is a discussion on Avatar: more liberal demonization within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I took my girlfriend to go see the movie Avatar. Before I bash it I will say that it does a good job of bringing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avatar: more liberal demonization

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

I took my girlfriend to go see the movie Avatar. Before I bash it I will say that it does a good job of bringing to light the possible/likely consequences of not respecting the delicate balance that exists within in nature. Capitalism does tend to exploit nature; however, people are realizing this, hence going green is becoming trendy.

With that said, the entire movie exists to show how the military's sole purpose is to exploit the natural resources of primitive cultures, which is directly stated by the main character in the movie.

I'm very upset that this is the message being sent about our military. An organization that is founded upon selfless service ought to be portrayed in a more respectful manner. As someone who studies communication (including mass communication) I can tell you that this movie is actively sculpting people's opinions about our military.

All and all, there are too many things that are just down right disturbing. Maybe I'm reading too far into it. This sort of exemplifies the catch 22 with the 1st amendment.

Your thoughts?
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I hate agenda movies/shows, nowadays there seems to always be an agenda. This former Marine will not be watching over-sized Smurfs take down military forces with spears & arrows.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Administrator
    It's sort of borderline as to if this thread should be posted in this exact area of the forum so I will respectfully request that forum members commenting on the movie try hard to keep the comments primarily centered around Avatar/Military portrayal.

That having been said it IS an agenda movie and as much as I would love to see it for the special effects which are (by every account) fabulous...I am passing and not going to see it on principle.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    From the trailer, I don't know if I can be bothered to go watch it. I would be interested in seeing a good movie in 3D, just to see what it looks like... but somehow, I doubt this is worth my time.

I made the mistake of watching District 9, or whatever it was called. Yeeaaaauuuuccckkk. I hate movies with political agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    I'm very upset that this is the message being sent about our military. An organization that is founded upon selfless service ought to be portrayed in a more respectful manner.
    I agree that the vast majority of the people who volunteer to do their stint are probably selfless in their choice to serve. The higher you go up into the career officers I start to question that but wouldn't rule it out. The beurocrats who never served but are involved in directing the military I definetly disagree with your statment.

Through out history governments have used foot soldiers to advance their agendas. The exploitation from government rulers towards those selfless people who serve at their command.

We can look back at military actions that are largley regarded as wrong. Were the guys following orders selflessly serving? Sure, they weren't getting anything out of it. Were the politicians honorably executing command? Sometimes they were not. I think most times when people speak ill of the military it is the apparatise that directs the military that they are speaking of and not the individual holding the gun being shot at. We all know the infantry man doesn't make decisions about what wars to fight or how to fight them

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    From the trailer, I don't know if I can be bothered to go watch it. I would be interested in seeing a good movie in 3D, just to see what it looks like... but somehow, I doubt this is worth my time.

I made the mistake of watching District 9, or whatever it was called. Yeeaaaauuuuccckkk. I hate movies with political agendas.
    I've seen both movies, Avatar was waaaay better than District 9. I don't agree with Avatars political undertones and I think a twelve year old girl could have written a better screen play. It was, however, visually awesome. I was amazed at the spectacle of Pandora (the name of the planet).
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

The selfless serviceman doesn't get to pick his superiors, or his fights. There are thousands of soldiers who have honorably died fighting for their country, but whether or not the fight itself was honorable is up to the men behind the curtain.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

They weren't the military, they were mercenaries/private contractors.

And keep in mind that the honorable hero is a former Marine which is made clear throughout the movie.

District 9 was a commentary on South Africa's history, not ours. However, it was a look at what could happen in a similar circumstance, and I don't think it was far-fetched at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    ... the entire movie exists to show how the military's sole purpose is to exploit the natural resources of primitive cultures, which is directly stated by the main character in the movie.
    Hm. I viewed it differently.

"Catch-22 with the 1A," eh? Seems a bit over the top, to me.

First, it's a film. It's entertainment. It doesn't seem much of a political statement at all.

And the most striking thing about this specific film is the special effects, IMO, not the plot's esoterica or ulterior political statements.

The plot is about a company involved in the extraction business, of a substance found in only one place (that we're told of). Extractive industries are what they are. And that has nothing to do with military force, as such.

As well, the policy of the company is "pacification by force," and that basically requires military, or folks trained in the military, in order to achieve it cost-effectively ... or, at all. Yet, the fact this extraction company only has utility for the force services of the military doesn't imply this is the only use of the military in general. It's just that the force aspect is what's mostly required in a place where every other moving object is trying to kill you. So far as I can tell, it's nothing more than that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    They weren't the military, they were mercenaries/private contractors.

And keep in mind that the honorable hero is a former Marine which is made clear throughout the movie.

District 9 was a commentary on South Africa's history, not ours. However, it was a look at what could happen in a similar circumstance, and I don't think it was far-fetched at all.
    A pretty thin cover yea? If you cannot see that the movie alludes to Iraq I dunno what to tell ya.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I don't expect much from Hollyweed anymore.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

It's Dances w/ Wolves and the Indians win. The message is a bit hooky and somewhat garbled but the effects were amazing.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    It's Dances w/ Wolves and the Indians win. The message is a bit hooky and somewhat garbled but the effects were amazing.
    Indeed...I didn't see it as a modern correlation. I saw it as a rip-off of the Native American's plight. The aliens were a close copy of the Native Americans.

Also, it has been said that the military types weren't American army, but mercs. IIRC Sully (the main character) commented that they left their honor behind when they took the job on Pandora - or something like they.

To me, it was a pretty movie with a weak storyline and a simple plot. I heard that Cameron wrote the story when was a kid and has been waiting for technology to advance enough for him to be able to make his movie. The new tech he developed is revolutionary - what I'm looking forward to is what other directors do with it.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

So who else sat there and said... "why don't they just drop some big bowling ball sized rocks in the turbines and rotor blades of the corporate muscle air power rather than do the banzai attack thing.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It's sort of borderline as to if this thread should be posted in this exact area of the forum so I will respectfully request that forum members commenting on the movie try hard to keep the comments primarily centered around Avatar/Military portrayal.

That having been said it IS an agenda movie and as much as I would love to see it for the special effects which are (by every account) fabulous...I am passing and not going to see it on principle.

^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^

Don't ya love his unabashed viewpoint and levelheadedness!!!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links