The Christmas day terrorist failure

This is a discussion on The Christmas day terrorist failure within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is something that is swimming around in my head; We all know the story by now; the terrorist failed to blow up the plane ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Christmas day terrorist failure

Administrator

The Christmas day terrorist failure

Here is something that is swimming around in my head;

We all know the story by now; the terrorist failed to blow up the plane over Detroit because of a passenger jumped over some seats and "subdued" the terrorist.
    Now here is my question; Why isnt this guy a household name? I mean, Tiger cheats on his wife, some moron movie star OD's on the drug of the week and that's all we hear about. We sure as hell know the name of the terrorist.
    This guy, (a Dutchman right?) saves scores of lives, and his name is hardly mentioned. On vacation, he does this heroic act in a foreign land and we can't even invite him to the White House for dinner? Why not give him some trinket as a token of our country's appreciation?

What gives?
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 2nd, 2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

You raise a VERY good point. Why don't you send it in a letter/email to the White House and your Senators/Representative?

I think I'll do the same.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Maybe he requested anonymity. I know I would.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I agree he needs a hearty "Thank You" of some type,but dinner at the White House can no longer be a reward,it would stop others from doing brave deeds.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

We all know the story by now; the terrorist failed to blow up the plane over Detroit because of a passenger jumped over some seats and "subdued" the terrorist.
    Now here is my question; Why isnt this guy a household name? I mean, Tiger cheats on his wife, some moron movie star OD's on the drug of the week and that's all we here about. We sure as hell know the name of the terrorist.
    This guy, (a Dutchman right?) saves scores of lives, and his name is hardly mentioned. On vacation, he does this heroic act in a foreign land and we can't even invite him to the White House for dinner? Why not give him some trinket as a token of our country's appreciation?

What gives?

Or at least a Beer.

I agree, The clowns sure know how to pass up on a opportunity don't they.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

What gives?
    Excellent point. We are bombarded by reports of prominent people cheating on their spouses or of other idiot TV families splitting up, to say nothing of the constant never ending Michael Jackson coverage. How about some well deserved spotlight for the Dutch guy, who is a real hero. Errr..What's his name anyway?

^ Seeing the sewage through which so many people are dragged, it wouldn't surprise me if he chose to remain anonymous, as some have suggested. The last thing I would want is badgering by a careless, merciless, thoughtless press and the wad of humanity.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    OK, I'll admit I never thought about him requesting anonymity, but since when did the media respect that?
    I would think we would at least hear about "that Dutch guy" having a beer with B.O., or getting a tour of someplace special... something to show our country's gratification. It wouldn't have to be much, but just something.
    I couldn't imagine being the president or even governor of Michigan and not inviting this man to the executive mansion for a nice dinner. Give him something to talk about when he arrives home... so much missed opportunity.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto is right. Maybe OB would donate his new Nobel Peace Prize??? At least this Dutchman "earned" it.

OK, I'll admit I never thought about him requesting anonymity, but since when did the media respect that?
    I would think we would at least hear about "that Dutch guy" having a beer with B.O., or getting a tour of someplace special... something to show our country's gratification. It wouldn't have to be much, but just something.
    I couldn't imagine being the president or even governor of Michigan and not inviting this man to the executive mansion for a nice dinner. Give him something to talk about when he arrives home... so much missed opportunity.
    Six,

As right as you are, I think they probably just didn't think about it with other truly important things on their plates-like cap and tax, and TARP, and Cash for Clunkers, and Health Care Deform.

So, I called the White House to suggest they have the guy over.
    I got a recording...something about the Commenter-in-Chief being out to lunch, or on vacation or something.

Remember, a good round of golf beats appreciation for actually saving the lives of serfs Obambi doesn't really care about anyway.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

washingtonpost.com

Airline hero says failed bombing mirrors script
    by MIKE CORDER
    The Associated Press
    Thursday, December 31, 2009; 9:34 AM

THE HAGUE, Netherlands -- The Dutch traveler who has been hailed as a hero for stopping a suspected bomber on a U.S.-bound flight says the whole thing felt like a movie script - his own.

Jasper Schuringa, a video producer who leapt onto the Nigerian accused of trying to blow up a Detroit-bound airliner, says he wrote a script eight years ago about a failed suicide attack on Amsterdam's airport, the same place from which the Christmas Day flight took off.

"It is about a suicide bomber who wants to murder a politician at Schiphol. But at the crucial moment the bomb doesn't go off," Schuringa said in an interview in Miami published in the Dutch daily Algemeen Dagblad on Thursday.

"That's what happened with Umar. He thought he was already in heaven and then he saw me coming toward him." Schuringa did not say what became of the script.

Schuringa jumped on Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab after the 23-year-old student allegedly tried to detonate explosives he had concealed in his underwear as Northwest Airlines Flight 253, with 289 passengers and crew, was descending toward Detroit.

Schuringa said he reacted instinctively when he saw Abdulmutallab sitting in his seat with flames rising around him.

Helped by other passengers, he patted down the flames with his bare hands and then dragged Abdulmutallab to the front of the aircraft and ripped off his clothes to remove the small package filled with the explosive pentrite.
    ad_icon

"How did I know what I should do? I don't know, I just did," he said. "Maybe I've watched too many American movies."

Schuringa said his ordeal wasn't over when he landed safely in Detroit. American federal agents questioned him and took his clothing to test it for explosives, visiting a golf store at the airport to hastily buy him new clothes.

"I looked like a clown," he said. "The trousers were so big I had to hold them up."

Despite his near miss, Schuringa quickly boarded his next flight to Miami without worrying about a repeat attack.

"What are the odds that this happens and that it immediately happens again?" he said.

Schuringa said he was surprised by the attention from around the world. The Dutch government said Wednesday that even the country's monarch, Queen Beatrix, expressed her appreciation.

"I just happened to be sitting there and went into action without thinking," he said. "And I didn't do it alone - other people helped me."

Schuringa said he now wants to escape all the media attention and continue his vacation. He was on his way to a surfing vacation with friends and family in Costa Rica when he was thrust into the international spotlight.
    No mention of American appreciation...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    No mention of American appreciation...
    No mention of support by the administrative ninnies and bureaucrats, you mean. Doesn't surprise me that it hasn't been more publicly visible, though I'll wager it exists.

As for support, he's got it, as evidenced by this thread's admiration of his actions. We aren't the only ones, either.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I, too would rather fly under the radar and get on with life than having hoopla of media camping outside my door.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    I, too would rather fly under the radar and get on with life than having hoopla of media camping outside my door.
    Well, I wouldn't say no to a bit of fame if I'd done something to deserve it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links