The warmest spot in my house..

This is a discussion on The warmest spot in my house.. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...is just outside the windows. One hundred year old house leaks heat everywhere. I will probably have a 4-digit gas bill this month. I could ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The warmest spot in my house..

...is just outside the windows. One hundred year old house leaks heat everywhere. I will probably have a 4-digit gas bill this month. I could probably sleep with a car engine running in the bedroom and never suffocate. I hope I slip on some ice so I could go to the hospital and get warm.

Wake me when it's summer.

VIP Member
    Going to the hospital won't work, they'll have the A/C on and you will get colder.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    ...is just outside the windows. One hundred year old house leaks heat everywhere. I will probably have a 4-digit gas bill this month. I could probably sleep with a car engine running in the bedroom and never suffocate. I hope I slip on some ice so I could go to the hospital and get warm.

HA! Yeah...I guess you southerners don't like the cold too much huh? As long as you don't have to buy LP any time soon you're fine. The price per gallon literally doubled 2 days ago. On 1/04/2010 it was spotting $2.37...on 01/05/2010 it was up to $4.39...nice huh. All the folks out here near me that were running low and needed a fill are skipping it for a while until the price comes back down from the clouds. WoodstovesRus.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Thats why us rednecks tape plastic to the window trim.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

VIP Member

Go get some 3M window film (apply from the inside with a hair dryer) Then some foam tape for the doors. Easy to remove, works great.

I have two wood burning fireplaces but seldom use them except when guests visit. Best just to seal up the house. Use small ceramic heaters while you are in a room. Turn off when you leave.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Clearly you just don't have enough dogs in the bed with you :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    4 digits... $99.99! That is not so bad. :)

I just got used to being cold and dress appropriately. It is 20 out at the moment and my heat hasn't been on all season. I live in a leaky old apartment (from 1909!) and there are people on 3 sides. It never really gets below 50 inside. Even my significant other puts up with it. :)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Hang blankets in front of doors and windows, it will stop a lot of the drafts.
    Can't beat hillbill insulation. If you have enough blankets you can hang them all along the inside of the outside walls sort of like Tapestrys of castles.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    HA! Yeah...I guess you southerners don't like the cold too much huh? As long as you don't have to buy LP any time soon you're fine. The price per gallon literally doubled 2 days ago. On 1/04/2010 it was spotting $2.37...on 01/05/2010 it was up to $4.39...nice huh. All the folks out here near me that were running low and needed a fill are skipping it for a while until the price comes back down from the clouds. WoodstovesRus.
    Since when did VA join the side of the carpetbaggers and invaders from the North?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My house is the exact opposite. Instead of letting the warm air out of the windows, it lets the cold air in. Weird!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    When It warms up around here. I usually have to repair my nephew's truck. I do some touch ups to the bumpers mainly. Around here, one inch of snow means he is usually going to hit something.

I use aluminum paint. It works pretty good on his beater. We call it Arkansas chrome.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

My heat pump has run non stop since about a week before X-mas. My meter outside looks like a CD spinning.

I'm too scared to open my electric bill this month.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I bought my house from the bankruptcy court; the previous occupant had neglected it for 25 years so I had to redo many things. I put in the highest energy rated windows I could find, 1" spacing between panes & argon filled and I sprayed that expanding foam between the opening and window frame.

The original siding was redwood that he hadn't taken care of and was dried out so I resided; the outside walls are plywood, felt paper, redwood, tyvac, 3/8" blue accordion fold Styrofoam leveling board then the vinal siding has ~1" thick Styrofoam glued to the back for rigidity and additional insulation. The walls/windows don't leak air.

The area inside the house was the maximum for the heat pump that was originally proposed, so I went the next size up, highest energy efficiency rated unit I could find and added a variable speed scroll compressor and variable speed blower. The heat pump runs most of the time when it gets cold but at a low speed, temp in the house usually doesn't vary more than 2 degrees.

The wife says even with 0 degree temps and wind she is staying comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Going to the hospital won't work, they'll have the A/C on and you will get colder.
    And we the tax payers are going to have to pay the electic bill for the AC!!
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

VIP Member
    I knew it was time to turn the furnace on one year when I got up and the water in the toilet was frozen.Brrrr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links