What is this lever on my fireplace?

This is a discussion on What is this lever on my fireplace? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I moved in my home my fireplace was a wood burning fireplace that had a gas line to get the wood burning. I had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this lever on my fireplace?

What is this lever on my fireplace?

When I moved in my home my fireplace was a wood burning fireplace that had a gas line to get the wood burning. I had it replaced with a vented gas log. I know that there is a lever on the top to open up the hole (damper I think it is called). There is a lever on the right that seems to be able to push down or push horizontal. I tried to push it up with a little pressure but it didn't seem to go that way and I didn't want to force it.

Does anyone know what the lever is and is t functional?

Which way should I push it?

Also there are little vents on the bottom of my fireplace that seem to let a cold daft into my home. Anyway to stop that?

Sorry about the cobbwebs.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Can you see your gas line inside that slot?
    It might be an extension of another gas shut-off valve.

jbs
    That lever is the fresh air inlet. When not using the fireplace, it should be closed to prevent cold air entering the house. The lever should go up or down and you can feel when air is entering to see which way is open or closed. Down should be closed but your milage may vary.

Without the fresh air intake, the gas is using oxygen from inside the home to burn. This depletes the O2 level in the home. You should have a CO2 detector along with your fire detector.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

My first guess is the lever is for opening the screen mesh door. The damper vent is usually located up inside the chimney flue. You may be getting cold air from the outside clean out vent.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

jbs nailed it. It also may be called a fresh air damper.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    One more vote for the answer jbs gave. I have a similar lever on mine and on mine, down is closed. You should be able to hear and/or feel a difference between open and closed by the additional air flow it creates.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Can you see your gas line inside that slot?
    It might be an extension of another gas shut-off valve.
    No I cannot see the gas line in the slot

Quote Originally Posted by jbs View Post
    That lever is the fresh air inlet. When not using the fireplace, it should be closed to prevent cold air entering the house. The lever should go up or down and you can feel when air is entering to see which way is open or closed. Down should be closed but your milage may vary.

Without the fresh air intake, the gas is using oxygen from inside the home to burn. This depletes the O2 level in the home. You should have a CO2 detector along with your fire detector.
    I have a CO2 detector in the house but I keep in by the bedrooms. Should I move it down by the fireplace instead?

So keep it open when running the fireplace and closed when not?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jacket View Post
    My first guess is the lever is for opening the screen mesh door. The damper vent is usually located up inside the chimney flue. You may be getting cold air from the outside clean out vent.
    The mesh door just slides to the side.

Quote Originally Posted by jbs View Post

Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

VIP Member
    So keep it open when running the fireplace and closed when not?
    Correct.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I would suggest a visit from a chimney sweep. He can clean your chimney and let you know what problems there are. He can also make sure that the lever functions correctly and will tell you what it does.

There is a possibility it controls fresh air for combustion. There is also a possibility that it controls a heated air circulation system of some type.

Based on the OP unfamiliarity with the system, he'd be better off having a pro come out and look/clean/adjust.

jbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    I would suggest a visit from a chimney sweep. He can clean your chimney and let you know what problems there are. He can also make sure that the lever functions correctly and will tell you what it does.

There is a possibility it controls fresh air for combustion. There is also a possibility that it controls a heated air circulation system of some type.

Based on the OP unfamiliarity with the system, he'd be better off having a pro come out and look/clean/adjust.
    This is what you should do. The heat in the fireplace actually heats the box which has tubes that are attached from bottom to top. Since hot air rises, cold air is sucked in the bottom into these tubes and is heated on it's way up and out the top of the tubes. Unless this is one of those fireplaces that aren't like that, which is rare these days.
    Theceramic gas burner also puts off heat like a radiator. Higher end models have a fan to force air through the tubes.

You do need to make sure the chimney is clean so no fires get started up there. Where you have the CO2 detector should be fine unless it's a large house. Then hallway or stairwell would be better.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

The lever on the top is probably the Chimney Damper. That is a door that closes the firebox from the chimney.

When you have a fire, open it so the smoke and fumes go up the chimney (or die).

When you have not had a fire for a day or two, close it to keep the warm air in your house from going up the chimney, which is dollars lost.

The lever on the side is probably a fresh air supply damper, so the fire pulls fresh air (unheated) from outside.

The CO2 Detector is OK where it is - just add another.

And, schedule a visit from a Chimney Sweep to explain the mysteries of your particular fireplace and chimney, as well as clean it.

VIP Member
    +1 for both JBS and Rob P. Both responses are right on.

VIP Member
    On C0 detectors. They are inexpensive. I have three in my house.

A friend and his parents were nearly killed by a faulty gas furnace. I learned from their bad experience.
    Last edited by Hopyard; January 9th, 2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: wrote C02 instead of C0, edited to fix chemistry

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Off topic... (and needing technical advice)

The power went out at my house the other day and it was getting cold, so I attempted to start my gas fireplace. First time since a couple years ago when I had to get the thermal coupler replaced for my Mom, when she was living here.

Got the pilot lit but the actual gas log system would not light. Oh well.

Then got into a long discussion with the wife about how the fireplace is supposed to be used. We have a complete gas log set. I believe that you should never ever burn anything combustible in it, like logs or those fake logs. She insists that we can, and that when she was growing up in Texas they had a gas fireplace that they used, to start the real logs on fire. I went online to a gas fireplace manufacturer and they said absolutely do not use real logs. The soot can clog the system and cause problems. That's when our fireplace discussion got 'heated'!

So, the OP mentions having this type of system too. I've never seen or heard of such a thing, but I did concede to the wife that I guess we just don't have that around here.

Since the OP's problem seems to be solved at this point, anybody know what might be wrong with my system?

I have a functioning fan switch below the insert. Directly under the logs is a panel with an on/off switch, a pilot knob that has to be pushed in and held/a rotating 'volume' knob, and the electric striker. Gas was turned on, and the pilot stayed lit. I tried rotating the 'volume' knob with the switch in both positions but got nothing. To my knowledge, the fireplace has hardly been used at all, maybe once or twice a few years ago, so it's practically new, less than ten years old.

The only thing I can think of is the guy who replaced the thermal coupler screwed something up...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links