A serious dog question...

This is a discussion on A serious dog question... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Really, I'm serious... for the last 3 or 4 days, my Black Lab has been extremely gassy... I mean he is dropping bombs that have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A serious dog question...

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

A serious dog question...

Really, I'm serious... for the last 3 or 4 days, my Black Lab has been extremely gassy... I mean he is dropping bombs that have me on the verge of writing a suicide note. I keep getting up and looking around the house for a hidden "present", but its just gas. But they are POWERFUL. They don't smell like regular dog poop... these are particularly foul. No change in diet, no diarrhea or changes in his poop... he seemed a little lethargic Wednesday and Thursday, but he seems to be himself today, other than the odious stench that he seems to produce every 10 minutes or so.

Last nite and tonite, I cut his kibble with some brown rice... he's had some digestive issues in the past, and that always seems to help. But he was lying next to my chair a few minutes ago, and I heard his stomach "growling"... I petted him a little, he wagged his tail once or twice, and then he let loose a fart that drove me out of my office.

In case some people are thinking I'm having fun with dog farts, this is brutal... I mean this is NOT normal... it smells like Beelzebub has walked in the room. Eye-watering, nauseating, nosehair-singeing, and POTENT. I mean you can smell them in the next room.

Anybody ever had this or knows what it might be...? He is not a discriminating eater... he could have very possibly eaten something nasty outside. But even if he ate a week-old dead skunk, I can't believe this is going on 4 or 5 days later... if it is still going on Monday, I'm thinkin' a trip to the vet might be in order.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

2. Remove Ads

Every so often one or the other of my Labs will have a day or two of paint-peeling, room-clearing farts, but it's never been sustained as yours seems to be.

Does your dog get regular exercise? Don't go overboard, but if he's normally just a house dog then I would make a point to get him out for a 45-minute walk daily for the next few days, and obviously control what he eats. If you are absolutely certain that he's not getting into something nasty, and he's still blasting nasty, then a call to the vet is definitely in order.

If he's getting on in years, is there any sign of bloating or belly distension, and is the "output" proportional to the intake? Just a couple of things to look for.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

No walks this week with the cold snap, but he was outside running around the back yard today...

No belly distension either... he seems to be just blowing this out...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Anybody ever given Gas-X to a dog...?

I would take him on walks too. I realize the temps have dropped there, but your dog can deal with it easily. If you can, run him too.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    If he ate something bad he would be sick, not sure about the farting. I have had a couple of dogs that had ate something bad , they lost thier appetite. But would eat chicken and rice.. They got better after a few days.

You might want to try and change his food. Usually the so called health food for dogs is the worse!!!

Silent but very DEADLY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    I realize the temps have dropped there, but your dog can deal with it easily.

That's funny, from the guy in Montana...

Actually, Tampa Bay is having a 3 or 4 day freeze... record-setting... I'm close to the water, and it's 32 here... maybe 27 inland...

That's what you call "spring", right Unkl...?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Every so often one or the other of my Labs will have a day or two of paint-peeling, room-clearing farts, but it's never been sustained as yours seems to be.

Does your dog get regular exercise? Don't go overboard, but if he's normally just a house dog then I would make a point to get him out for a 45-minute walk daily for the next few days, and obviously control what he eats. If you are absolutely certain that he's not getting into something nasty, and he's still blasting nasty, then a call to the vet is definitely in order.

If he's getting on in years, is there any sign of bloating or belly distension, and is the "output" proportional to the intake? Just a couple of things to look for.
    As you may know many dogs have very sensitive stomachs. My large 140 lb. Alaskan Malamute is one. He is 3/4 vegetarian. Many dog foods are mostly genically altered soybean meal as a main ingredient and other junk that can upset the dogs stomach.

How old is your dog. Over 5 years?

If you love your dog only feed him Eucanuba large breed adult.

I have always fed my dog people food with his dog food but only what I would eat myself.

It sounds like he might have an intestinal blockage in the lower tract.

Some dogs can instinctively take care of things themselves by eating grass or charcoal but not always.

You might try feeing him a couple pieces of burnt toast. Not too much though. The bread can ball up in the stomach and will be hard to pass through the bowels.

I would have a vet see him immediately.

SIG
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250

How old is your dog. Over 5 years?

If you love your dog only feed him Eucanuba large breed adult.

I have always fed my dog people food with his dog food but only what I would eat myself.

It sounds like he might have an intestinal blockage in the lower tract.

Some dogs can instinctively take care of things themselves by eating grass or charcoal but not always.

SIG
    He's right around 5 or 6... he's a rescue, so we're a little hazy on that. His appetite is fine, he is keeping his normal "schedule" with no changes in his poop, so I don't think we have any sort of "blockage" here. He was lethargic for a day or two, right when this cold snap rolled in... but he seems to like the cold and was active and outside for the last 2 days... he's actually been kinda "frisky" in this cold weather...

And he does do the grass-eating thing, but he's not eating grass this week. It always comes up when he does.

But his stomach is growling, and he is "peelin' paint", as Gasmitty sez...

I you cannot walk your dog outside for exercise, put him in the treadmill. Maybe he is just getting old...system changes as one gets old.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    He's right around 5 or 6... he's a rescue, so we're a little hazy on that. His appetite is fine, he is keeping his normal "schedule" with no changes in his poop, so I don't think we have any sort of "blockage" here. He was lethargic for a day or two, right when this cold snap rolled in... but he seems to like the cold and was active and outside for the last 2 days... he's actually been kinda "frisky" in this cold weather...

And he does do the grass-eating thing, but he's not eating grass this week. It always comes up when he does.

But his stomach is growling, and he is "peelin' paint", as Gasmitty sez...
    If he keeps cutting the cheese, you need to get him to a vet. It is a gastro-intestinal problem of one sort or another.

He is probably large enough, over 40 pounds that you could give him a couple Tums or a tablespoon of Pepto-bismal. You could also try Kayopectate to induce bowel movement to empty the intestine similar to an enema. This will not hurt him. See if that helps any.

Do not feed him any canned dog food. You might though see if he will eat a can of cut green beans slightly warmed, but not hot. The roughage and fiber might be what he needs.

If not, get him to a vet soon. He may have a parasite (worm) that can only be treated with a vet prescribed drug.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

i read somewhere that putting the dogs food up off the floor would help. seems like they ingest a lot of air when they have to bend down to get it. dont laugh my sisters little bull dog would make one leave the room and she tried it. dang it did work. she had already tried several different foods.

The first step in any dog with a stomach problem is to skip a feeding (you should feed twice a day) to see if the problem persists.

An elevated feeding/water dish is a big help as well.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Definately check with your vet!

My first Malamute had occasional digestive system problems, with odor, if he ate too much of our leftovers.
    One of the recommendations from the vet to settle his system was cooked very lean ground beef( or better yet, lamb) mixed with cooked rice and cottage cheese. A few servings and he was back to normal, and the air was much clearer.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    No walks this week with the cold snap, but he was outside running around the back yard today...

No belly distension either... he seems to be just blowing this out...

It is six to ten degrees here in Mi. and people walk their dogs.
    Hopefully you don't live in a condo and can let him run in a yard.

I would think about getting him to a vet . I doubt his stomach has flipped,(ussually fatal) but sometimes can take a while, but it should be looked into and ruled out

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass." - Trooper M. Padgett
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links