first traffic stop with a gun in the car

This is a discussion on first traffic stop with a gun in the car within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; got pulled over today with my gun in the car. since i don't have a CC permit yet i keep it in a snapped holster ...

Thread: first traffic stop with a gun in the car

first traffic stop with a gun in the car

got pulled over today with my gun in the car. since i don't have a CC permit yet i keep it in a snapped holster in the glove box. thats FL's law. my friend and i were out driving around. we came to this park and apparently it was closed. pulled in and turned around. cop was in this park so he followed us. my friend in his car behind me. cop was running his plates. well i come up to a traffic light and i guess you couldn't turn right on red, but i did. so he pulls me over. lets my friend go since he was following me.

i got my license in hand waiting for him and my registration is in the glove box. don't want to touch it yet in case he sees the gun in there. don't want him to flip out. he walks up to the car and asks the usual question, why i pulled you over. i said, "well besides looking suspicious pulling into that park and turning around to leave, i dunno."

he says, "well, i couldn't pull you over just for that, but you made an illegal right hand turn. he asked for my license and registration. i hand him my license and i said, "before i hand you my registration i should inform you its in my glove box which also contains a legal firearm."

he nods his head and says "ok, how is it holstered" i said, "in a snapped holster" he said, "ok here is how we're gonna handle this, open the glove box and slowly hand the gun to me" so i do that. also grab the registration and hand it to him as well. he asks for my insurance card.. well crap, i haven't been pulled over in like 2 years, and i didn't get a renewed insurance card from my wife when i got back from afghanistan. and she didn't put one in the car. he said don't worry about it, as long as this is your car, your insurance will come up in the system.

and right before he walked back to his car he said, "i just want to let you know, you did earn a few cool points by telling me your firearm was in your glove box before reaching in there to get your registration. so if you show up clean in the system, you're free to go, no ticket"

comes back a few minutes later, hands me the gun and the clip, my license and registration. he then informed me that he was very grateful that i told him about the gun and that he was happy to see citizens exercising their rights.

so i must say it was a very memorable stop. very professional and knew the laws very well. like even down to the fact that if its not in a snapped holster, it would be illegal the second i open the glove box. the law is basically securely encased. this i think was probably the only respectable traffic deputy i've ever encountered. all the patrol ones are cool as the other side of the pillow. so i got his badge number and called in a commendation for him.

2. Remove Ads

That sounds like the way all traffic stops should go.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

That's awesome man and thanks for calling in the commendation too. IMO, that has even more weight than a complaint, in a way. I would imagine that complaints get acted upon, but you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. I am sure that most cops get more than enough negative on a daily basis. Sort of the whole positive reinforcement thing!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    ::: Edit ::: didn't read the original post carefully enough...

You played it correctly, Beaker... and welcome to DeeCee...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Nicely done. It's the way it should happen, to be sure. Straightforward and simple, without you being treated as a criminal by default. Kudos on the simple commendation. Very few LEO's get such acknowledgment.

Classic example of how to treat a stop. Notifying the LEO of the gun in the glove box prior to opening the box. Awaiting instructions and following them simply, without a bad attitude. Of course, much depends on getting a competent and experienced LEO, but that's not under your control.

he asks for my insurance card.. well crap, i haven't been pulled over in like 2 years, and i didn't get a renewed insurance card from my wife when i got back from afghanistan. and she didn't put one in the car. he said don't worry about it, as long as this is your car, your insurance will come up in the system.
    And yet, what happens if you get caught without your CHL on your person? You're cuffed-and-stuffed and trussed for the feast. Silly. In any state where CHL is tied to the DL, how you described your engagement is exactly how it should go.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Instead of, or in addition to calling, you may want to write a letter of appreciation to the sheriff. That way it goes in his service jacket and may help him out on a 'rainy day' or assist in promotions later on.

It also probably helped that you mentioned afghanistan. I got out of a similar situation because I was in uniform when I got pulled.

VIP Member
    Good stop, handled well by both parties.

More people need to be willing to compliment the good LEOs like so many are to complain about them. Way to go! And a written compliment helps too.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Great to hear about such a codial interaction. Good on ya for the commendation....I'll keep that in mind should I ever have positive contact like that.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Instead of, or in addition to calling, you may want to write a letter of appreciation to the sheriff. That way it goes in his service jacket and may help him out on a 'rainy day' or assist in promotions later on.

It also probably helped that you mentioned afghanistan. I got out of a similar situation because I was in uniform when I got pulled.
    that part wasn't actually said. it just went through my head later one as i was driving away. but i know he looked through the windows with his flashlight and saw one of my blues shirts in the back seat and an abu jacket.

in my experience, if i say something alluding to my military service, it doesn't go over well. my guess is because they think when you hint to it, its a ploy to get out of a ticket. like a secret handshake or something. similar to the reason why some people won't inform a cop they have a gun when you're not required. but it all depends on how it's said or how it comes up.

to me an obvious visual clue for them to pick up on their own is better. and i think they would think, well he's not trying to use his military career to get out of a ticket. at least thats the way i would see it if i was a cop. may not bee true for everyone else though. but it works for me so far.

Great story...awesome ending!!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Keep your Papers on VISER IT HELPS ;-) PS Good stop all around
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I know that you didn't have your CHL but when I took my class to get my carry permit the instructor did a little experiment. He asked the renewal guys to raise their hands if they had been pulled over. If I remember correctly it was somewhere in the teens. Only one had been given a ticket and all the others were let go.

Links